Skip to main content
Topic: My day with Sandy so far........ (Read 15902 times) previous topic - next topic

My day with Sandy so far........

Reply #45
Thanks Jerry........to all here, thank you for the well wishes and kind thoughts.  Still no power to over 90% of Long Island.  Long lines for Gas, food etc....cash only....., like a third world country.  My office in the next town has power, internet etc, so i took the family over for a little normalcy. Charge up the phones, laptop etc, even managed to snag 2 cheese pizzas fresh for dinner.  No heat, hot water, power, gas range so we can heat water and cook.  Coolers with ice wont go more than another day or so.  If anyone wants to chat or IM my cell is 516-978-5988 i get sporadic signals.  Thanks again for all the support, its a nice family we have here.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #47
It'll probably be that T-Bird's lack of technology that saves its life. An insurance company would undoubtedly write it off, but even if it was totally submerged it would not be beyond the skills of even backyard guys to make it right. There simply aren't that many electronic components in these old things, and of the few that are there they can be replaced, or better yet, upgraded (such as yanking a waterlogged 3.8 and C5 and replacing it with a 5.0 HO and AOD or T5). The interiors are easy enough to strip out, clean up, and dry out. New cars have so many vulnerable and very expensive electronics, many of them mounted very low in the car (including airbag sensors in and under the seats, and various sensors and/or actuators under the car). I wouldn't be surprised if that Audi and Flex were both written off. It would probably be a good thing if they were, because they will never be the same and their resale value will be horrible with a "flood" branded title.

David, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Here's to hoping you can get some semblance of normalcy back in your life...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #48
Yeah you have your T-Bird and then a ~2005 or so and newer BMW with over *seven MILES* of wiring. (Friend worked for the local big-cheese BMW stealership in HS and that's what he was told). Stone age wins!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #49
major bummer!
1987 TC

Reply #50
Still no power... Cars are getting towed out today , and got a claim # from the ins co. More news to follow.....

Reply #51
My Daughter lost her brand new Chevy to flood water. Came in the car and JR and the insurance CO TOTALED IT. Had 16K on the SPEEDO. My SON IN LAW IS A MEAT HEAD!!! Could have brought the car to the shop where it would have been safe!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #52
Quote from: TOM Renzo;401791
My SON IN LAW IS A MEAT HEAD!!! Could have brought the car to the shop where it would have been safe!!!

Really?  Come on Tom, you and I both know that your Daughter could have brought it to your shop just as easily.  I can say this since I have a Daughter and a Son-in-Law as well, so I have been there and done that. But as much as we love our children, they are going to make mistakes, and it stands to reason that some of them are gonna be whoppers.  In this case, all that is lost is a car...and a "brand new" Chevy at that... nothing to get in a twist over.  An expensive lesson perhaps, but no one died, so on balance I'd say she got off pretty easily.

Reply #53
I wonder if conspiracists blame the hurricane on the construction and car companies so that they get more work and sales... :p

I don't understand why people wouldn't find a place prior to a hurricane to park their vehicles? I'd have driven inland a day or two before, found some hill, and taken a taxi back, or keep the car that you care about the least with you. I saw some photos of some pretty nice cars (older) that people just left on the sides of roads, at the lowest elevations.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #54
I am really not mad. But my Son In law brought his car to the shop. D'OH!!!! Whats With THAT!!! It is an EXPLORER.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #55
88 i have three son in laws. They all brought their cars to the shop except Jenny. She told me Anthony did not want her to drive in the storm. This was early Monday morning. D'OH!!! Not to worry it is an insurance issue now. All is well and that is the bottom line!!

Reply #56
Wow!  Three Son-in-Laws, you must have the patience of a saint... ;)

Reply #57
Yes my family is great. Especially my girls. They always love you more than the boys. You know what i mean. A Son is a son till he takes a wife. A daughter is a daughter for the rest of your life.

Reply #58
Things are still very bad here; long gas lines, no info, 6 days no power....

Reply #59
Hang in Dave the ARMY BOYS are coming to help with the clean up. I know how you feel it SUCKS. Do you have a GENERATOR?? A must around here fore sure. Keep cool and be patient. GOOD LUCK!!