Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W (Read 230098 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W

Reply #780
Quote from: thewestie;375444
Your cars so cool. I cant let mine see it might get jealous.  When you going to be on the Landing on the hill again any time soon?

Your car doesnt have anything to be jealous of. Im jealous of both of ya'lls cars. Im trying to get there, I ordered headers, H-pipe and a ring & pinion install kit for my christmas present.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #781
Quote from: Bruce M;375446
Your car doesnt have anything to be jealous of. Im jealous of both of ya'lls cars. Im trying to get there, I ordered headers, H-pipe and a ring & pinion install kit for my christmas present.

i love doing that, it's a good excuse to spend money lol plus i like opening the boxes and saying 'MERRY XMAS TO MEEEEEE'
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #782
My box from CHE showed up the other day Ill have to put it under tree next to the box from best buy :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #783
Quote from: Bruce M;375443
This is so much more interresting than the Lounge section. Thank you for keeping up the good work. What did the guys think about your turbo bird at the tire shop?  I always got a weird looks when I took my cougar to have a/c or alignment work done, like why do you bother with this old car. Now people think its cool because you dont see them much around here.

It was kind of funny in an embarrassing kind of way.

I spent the morning on the overflow bottle and cleaning up under the front end. So, when it came time for the appointment I threw in the rear seats and jumped in the car.

I forgot I had been playing with the idle tune before I parked it last time and it would barely run. I needed to go back to the last
good tune, but I had changed some other things I really liked on this one. I decided to just try to re-create the 'good' settings from memory to get me by.

When I got to the tire store the  thing would barely stay running. I stalled like 5 times getting up on the rack. Normally I'd have yucked it up a bit, but I was too ashamed to do more than slink off into the waiting room.

Reply #784
Quote from: Bruce M;375446

Seriously westie??!

351, Tremec, subs, new paint.

Seems pretty enviable to me!

Nothing in the near future scheduled your way. Things slow for us around this time of year.

I'm glad you are sticking with yours, Bruce. Sounds like a Merry Xmas to you and the cat!

Reply #785
I love the car and shes a ton of fun but I wish I went with a EFI set up with cruise and AC.  What you've done with your car truly amazes me great work. I am looking at a fast set up I some day want to make her a turbo coupe again. Ive got a five lug and cobra brake swap in line for the winter.  If I can figure how to easily post Pics I will. You'll have to let me know the next time your around we can do lunch.

Happy holidays
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #786
Sounds good! Hope you get the pics up for us.

I use GIMP software for pics. ( It's a free download). I open whatever pic file I took in GIMP, then use the 'save as' option. Check the box for preview, and use the slider to size the pic down to 150 KB's for the upload. Type in a new name and done. (save as a .jpg)

Went shopping with my daughter today so not much progress on the birdy. I need to get all the remaining boxes of parts sorted, re-labelled and recorded in a database so I'll remember if I have a spare part or not well into the future.

Once that's done I can store these boxes out of the way so I can park a couple of cars in here again before winter really arrives!

Reply #787
Here's what the overflow bottle looks like now. It's just zip-tied in so it's pen 15ed at an angle. I intend to make a plate to bolt to the frame that will hold it firmly.

XX

Reply #788
Looks nice it beats my gatorade bottle :)

Reply #789
The overflow bottle is working as intended so far. No more leaky, no more overheaty.

I have been putting plastic back in the car, just 4 more panels left beside the rear seat and it's back together.

I went to Valvoline for a 20.00 oil change and while it was there I had them change out the diff fluid. I like having them do it rather than have to pull the cover and risk a leak.

The car was a big, big hit with the workers there. They were all very nice and complimentary.

As I pulled out I got on the gas a couple of times. After the second romp I got a cloud of oil smoke from under the hood. I pulled off the road to check things out, and there was oil coming from the fill area. I have smelled a little oil smoke from time to time, so this wasn't a shocker to me.

I believe I am getting some pressurization of the crankcase caused by the new rings not yet seated. It's gonna happen under boost, and is a pretty common issue with forced induction V8 Fords. I was hoping that the near stock setup I had would work out, but it's not to be.

For now I just added a breather connected to a 1" hose on top of the oil fill tube. It's baffled pretty well there and should suffice until I get a chance to do it better.

V 2.0 will consist of 2 pcv valves on each valve cover connected to hoses going through a oil separator to a fitting on the front of the turbo inlet. (I'll still keep the turbo pcv and check valve on the intake as well.)

The design is, under vacuum conditions the intake pcv will be purging the crankcase to keep the oil clean as designed, but at boost onset the check valve will shut it down and the valve cover vents will kick in.

I also fixed the cracked plate holder and mounted it.XX

Reply #790
Doin' stuff today. Got the new brake calipers, rotors and bearings all on today. LJ helped to bleed 'em. Next cracked open a can of Waxoyl and undercoated the snot out of the front end behind where the plastic inner fenders will go.  Lastly I got out the Wal-mart fog lights and screwed them in to the bumper support. They are now wired and ready. I'm headed out to pull the spare lower valence in to rob the air dam from it. That will close out the front end once I close off the inner fenders.

This morning I used some Purple Power cleaner on the interior plastic. It's looking good and ready to install next if I have any energy.

XXX

Reply #791
XXX

Reply #792
So your saying after all this stuff in your build you were afraid you couldn't seal up a diff cover, that's pretty weak but a $20. Oil change sounds worth it I hate changing my own oil, but I still do all 3 vehicles. Looking pretty good love the silver that was my second choice if the red didn't workout
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #793
Quote from: 347Thunder;375756
So your saying after all this stuff in your build you were afraid you couldn't seal up a diff cover, that's pretty weak but a $20. Oil change sounds worth it I hate changing my own oil, but I still do all 3 vehicles. Looking pretty good love the silver that was my second choice if the red didn't workout

Man, you are HARD on me!  :flame:

I've had those dumb things where I had to seal them 3 times before I got rid of a drip. This one is tight, so I didn't feel like chancing it. To do it right I'd have to block all 4 wheels up so it was level, etc, etc.  I was there anyway so I said ...DO IT!!

When I get those discount $20.00 oil change notices in the mail, I save them and use them. I am servicing 6 cars here now, so it is a blessing to have it done by someone else.

I would say your red worked out. It's one of the sharpest cars on this list IMHO.

Reply #794
Still very impressed with your 2.5 year old post and the progress(completion) you have made.  That is what a new/rebuilt TC looks like.... :-)

Question?  Did you get a used Baumann Baumanator or the new optishift?  Just thinking out loud.  Also I dont remember reading what you did with the drive shaft.  I use a T5 DS with the C4.  The newer the tranny the better (stronger) from what I have read.  I believe they used the 4.2V6 until 2008 or so in the uber basic F150.

Thanks,

Travis