Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W (Read 230099 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W

Reply #795
Quote from: turbotrav;375798
Still very impressed with your 2.5 year old post and the progress(completion) you have made.  That is what a new/rebuilt TC looks like.... :-)

Question?  Did you get a used Baumann Baumanator or the new optishift?  Just thinking out loud.  Also I dont remember reading what you did with the drive shaft.  I use a T5 DS with the C4.  The newer the tranny the better (stronger) from what I have read.  I believe they used the 4.2V6 until 2008 or so in the uber basic F150.

Thanks,

Travis

Wow, 2.5 years!  I really hit it hard about a year ago. There was just sporadic progress until after my wife got her Honda. Then I said it was time to get serious.

I am using the older Baumannator TCS hardware. It ends up being almost the same thing as the Optishift. The Optishift is newer hardware and has a feature or two,  but uses the same software as the earlier unit.

The driveshaft is a stock TC shaft. I had to change out the rear extension on the 4R to use the AOD/T5 input. Agreed that later is supposed to be better. Keep in mind, though that to keep your speedo and cruise control happy you will need to supply the signal from the speedo drive pulse generator. After 2003-4 the speedo drive gear machined into the  trans mainshaft is missing. Mine came from a 98 Mustang 3.8(?) V6.  I got the engine plate and everything else I needed from the Craigs list 5.0 Explorer engine.

Reply #796
Got the rear trim painted and installed. The new clips worked great!

XX

Reply #797
Awesome it gives me hope, my new glass is real tight to the rivets, my glass guy says don't worry. I like the birds to
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #798
Hey flylear.  The back glass trim looks great!  And I'm glad the clips worked out.  I'm amazed that you were able to keep the rear trim in good shape with no bends or kinks.

Are you driving it daily now?  Any additional bugs to work out at this point?

Reply #799
Quote from: The Shredder;376030
Hey flylear.  The back glass trim looks great!  And I'm glad the clips worked out.  I'm amazed that you were able to keep the rear trim in good shape with no bends or kinks.

Are you driving it daily now?  Any additional bugs to work out at this point?

Thanks Westie and Shredder. Getting the trim on and off; take it on and off kind of as a whole, and the tool with the hooks on the end is pretty helpful. Also I had another trim set here to see where the clips were and had a clip to look at to see how it worked. I still had a kink or two, but I have some experience in re-working aluminum trim from my Triumph stuff that I put to use. I doubt anyone would see where I fixed it.

Westie, when you put it back on, set all your clips first, then slide all the pieces of trim together before snapping any in place. Then start at the top two corners and work around the bottom, leaving the top center for last.

Shredder yeah, I've been driving it daily. So far pretty good. I had a sticking thermostat that I just replaced yesterday. (It was new.) Hopefully that will fix that.

Now I have a couple of things on the top of the list.

First, the mileage is really off. I am only getting 12 mpg. Keep in mind that I am still playing with it and idling a lot, but that has GOT to get better. I will re-gear if I have to to get it where it needs to be. I have 3.73's in it now. Again, I am not panicking until I have more time into the tune at cruise and have a couple tanks of gas where I am just cruising normally, but 20 mpg+ on the highway is my goal.

Second, I am getting to the point that I am starting to get to the higher power tuning. I am noticing that the car doesn't want to rev
real strong. It seems to run out past 4500 rpm.  I am thinking the turbo turbine gate is too shut too tight. (That may be hurting mileage as well and causing back pressure in the crankcase.) Another factor is that I am too rich in this part of the curve, too. I am SO afraid of rattling this engine that I am being very careful to keep the tune 'fat' under load.

I did come across the Ford timing tables for the speed density computer 5.0, and am using that for timing out of boost. It is working pretty well for me.

I spent most of yesterday working on sofware updates for the carpc and trying out a couple different tunes in the Baumann. You can really change the feel of the tranny by messing with the curves. I'll bet you can screw it up pretty bad, too. lol I am shy about making any changes yet, and am just using the canned tunes that came for the 4R with the software download.

Today I am going to open up the turbine gate all the way and see how it runs. The wastegate has kept up and boost has been limited to under 15 psi to this point. I'll have to be cautious as I try it out now that more exhaust will be allowed through the turbocharger. 

Other smaller items on the 'do list' include:

get the speech recognition set up and working for control of music and gps navigation
pair phone to carpc with bluetooth so it'll take calls through the stereo
replace 2 light bulbs behind the dash cluster 
trim the voltmeter pointer a 1/16 inch to match the rest
put dimmer light on fuel pressure gage for night use ( I thought I did, but......)
trim out trunk, tidy up wires back there.
finish belt line trim

BTW, we have all decided here that the trim is going back on in stock form. Black and red it will be, just like it came from the dealer.

So, I'll need to paint the front and rear strips on the bumpers to match.

Reply #800
Yeah, I bet you'll have no problems getting things dialed in and improve mileage.  Odd that it doesn't want to rev though.  Perhaps it's just the tune holding things back.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #801
What's with the waxoyl? If you're not driving it in the winter the salt shouldn't cause a problem ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #802
It's like those Nissan Pathfinder print ads that were all over MotorTrend and C&D mags showing people playing golf while driving the SUVs all over the golf course. "Not that you would....but you COULD" :giggle:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #803
Quote from: thunderjet302;376048
What's with the waxoyl? If you're not driving it in the winter the salt shouldn't cause a problem ;).

It's been into salt twice already. :(  I built it to drive, and I'm gonna drive it. Waxoyl rocks. It will give me some decent protection, plus I am keeping it in the garage and giving it frequent baths to wash of the nasties.

In fact, I spent the morning putting away boxes over the ceiling of the garage so I can park her in the main section. I think she's happier over here close to me while I surf the 'net.

Reply #804
Quote from: ZondaC12;376061
It's like those Nissan Pathfinder print ads that were all over MotorTrend and C&D mags showing people playing golf while driving the SUVs all over the golf course. "Not that you would....but you COULD" :giggle:

LOL, I remember that one.

Reply #805
Quote from: flylear45;376063
It's been into salt twice already. :(  I built it to drive, and I'm gonna drive it. Waxoyl rocks. It will give me some decent protection, plus I am keeping it in the garage and giving it frequent baths to wash of the nasties.

In fact, I spent the morning putting away boxes over the ceiling of the garage so I can park her in the main section. I think she's happier over here close to me while I surf the 'net.

Ah. I thought it was a nice weather only car.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #806
Quote from: thunderjet302;376073
Ah. I thought it was a nice weather only car.

No, I decided to make this my daily driver except when it is REALLY snowing. I could have gotten a new car or fixed up this one. I chose this one. I can always drive my truck when it's horrible out, but it has 175,000 miles on it and it's time to keep it home as much as possible.

So far I'm really tickled driving the 'bird. It is tons of fun. Hopefully I can get the last things sorted out soon and just enjoy it.

Reply #807
Quote from: Chuck W;376044
Yeah, I bet you'll have no problems getting things dialed in and improve mileage.  Odd that it doesn't want to rev though.  Perhaps it's just the tune holding things back.

I opened up the sleeve on the turbo all the way. BIG difference right away. I have been choking off the power quite a bit with where I had it set. Now I need to re-tune for the change and I think I'll see a difference in power and economy.

FWIW, anyone following a similar recipe as me, the middle tune in the Baumann 4R70W files seems to be the best so far for day to day driving.

You will want to try them all I think. Your particular combo will make all the difference in the transmission's feel. This is just like Megasquirt on the engine side. Total flexibility to tailor the usage of the hardware.

Reply #808
Got the rear plastic and rear seat done.

Reply #809
Looking good Jim....  How are you controlling boost and turbine ratios?

Travis