Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W (Read 230181 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W

Reply #765
I pulled out my phone to take an in-car video, but it was 2:30 AM and it didn't seem a good idea. LOL

I had to work the Browns-Steelers game, and we got delayed due to a plane blowing a tire on landing just before we left Pittsburgh.

Reply #766
Hoo-rah!

Finally got my cruise working. It ended up being the clutch cutout switch plug being open. When I removed the clutch pedal to go automatic I forgot to jumper the green wire. Only took a week to figure out. I forgot about that plug because I had it shoved all the way up behind the center console stack.

At least i have tested all my spare cruise control parts and know that they work OK. lol

Just finished re-coloring the better of the 2 back seats I have. They look pretty fine.

XX

Reply #767
The seats look great I know who Ill bother with question's when I go to do mine mine look like there blue. Enjoy the cruise
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #768
Quote from: thewestie;375251
The seats look great I know who Ill bother with question's when I go to do mine mine look like there blue. Enjoy the cruise

Oh, mine were blue, too.  They are coming out pretty nice I think. Thanks!

I am using the Rustoleum dye from Autozone. I have used 4 cans for  the front and back seats. So far it's the best fabric color I've ever tried.

Cruise for me is a necessity! I honestly use it before I get a mile from the house on a normal work day. I wouldn't be able to get decent mileage any other way. I have too heavy of a right foot.

I backed down the low load ignition advance and went back to trying to tune the idle with closed loop. It is better, but I'm not happy yet. I feel like I have a lot more experimenting to do before I give up on it, though.

Reply #769
Those do look good.
It's spray on dye? I wonder how it would work for carpet... Probably take a load of cans though.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #770
Quote from: Romeo2k;375292
Those do look good.
It's spray on dye? I wonder how it would work for carpet... Probably take a load of cans though.

I'm not sure how it would hold up on carpet. I'm not sure yet how it'll hold up on seats to be honest. I am sure that they look 100 times better than they did, though!

The Rustoleum comes out thicker and denser than the Dupli-color product. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it is at least as good so far. I want to get it wet and see if it bleeds, and see how it holds up to UV exposure. For the 25 dollar investment I'm pleased so far.

Reply #771
Well I spend abit of time reading this 77 page post.....wow I think you car looks great.  Not sure if you remember me.  I was interested in you auto black TC back in 2007.  I had a short friend from Cleveland come and look at it.  Anyways im glad your project is almost complete.

Im currently doing 351w swap with turbo kit.  I already have Stingers PIMP.
Im really interested in the 4r70w performance and how that controller works for you.  I'll be in touch if that is OK?  Im going to start with my built C4.  But I would like overdrive...

current pic:
http://www.crystalcomputersupport.com/trav/xr7pic6.JPG

Now my silver is original but I did redo the trim and bottom.  The silver looks great from 10' ;-)

Thanks,

Travis
aka  86XR7auto from nato/tf

Reply #772
I wonder how much it would cost to have the seats re-done in the factory cloth? I know leather is expensive (I've had it done) but I wonder about cloth?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #773
Quote from: turbotrav;375320
Well I spend abit of time reading this 77 page post.....wow I think you car looks great.  Not sure if you remember me.  I was interested in you auto black TC back in 2007.  I had a short friend from Cleveland come and look at it.  Anyways im glad your project is almost complete.

Im currently doing 351w swap with turbo kit.  I already have Stingers PIMP.
Im really interested in the 4r70w performance and how that controller works for you.  I'll be in touch if that is OK?  Im going to start with my built C4.  But I would like overdrive...

current pic:
http://www.crystalcomputersupport.com/trav/xr7pic6.JPG

Now my silver is original but I did redo the trim and bottom.  The silver looks great from 10' ;-)

Thanks,

Travis
aka  86XR7auto from nato/tf

Hey Travis!

I remember your friend. Nice fellow.

So far the 4R is great. I just plugged it all in and it was ready to go. All the work was in the wiring.

The XR7 looks great in that shot. Love the blacked out look. ;)

Reply #774
Quote from: thunderjet302;375335
I wonder how much it would cost to have the seats re-done in the factory cloth? I know leather is expensive (I've had it done) but I wonder about cloth?

I have some small experience in upholstery work, and I would say that the TC seats are going to be a bit pricey even in cloth.  They are a complex seat that isn't easy to sew up, so I would say that cloth will be cheaper but still a major investment.

Reply #775
i'm betting most upholstery shops would look at the seats and say 3-400 per seat for the front buckets.. the material is cheap, the labor isn't
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #776
Yeah Eric is a solid fellow....

Cool on the 4r70w....Im looking into the Baumann controller.

Thanks,

Travis

Reply #777
Quote from: turbotrav;375416
Yeah Eric is a solid fellow....

Cool on the 4r70w....Im looking into the Baumann controller.

Thanks,

Travis

I haven't even gotten to playing with the tranny tune yet. I've just been using the canned tune from Baumann so far. I am impressed that it works so good right out of the box.

The birdy got warm coming home from work yesterday while idling in traffic after cruising for 40 minutes at speed. I figured I knew what was the problem, so this morning I attacked trying to find a spot to mount an overflow bottle. Eventually I found a spot and (temporarily) have it installed and hooked up.

Now I won't have to be filling the rad every couple of days to keep up with the expansion loss.

I rounded up the hardware and attached the lower valance securely, and re-routed a couple of hoses that looked to be shifting closer to the exhaust. I also ran the hose to the wastegate through a check valve so it won't see vacuum.

Took it over to the tire store and got an alignment. She drives much better now. Not as twitchy at speed. The toe was off a little bit but the rest of the set-up looks pretty good.

If I get up early enough tomorrow I may get the interior put back in. All I want to do first is to hook up the parking lights to the alarm and lock remote. Otherwise I am ready to lock it all down.

Reply #778
This is so much more interresting than the Lounge section. Thank you for keeping up the good work. What did the guys think about your turbo bird at the tire shop?  I always got a weird looks when I took my cougar to have a/c or alignment work done, like why do you bother with this old car. Now people think its cool because you dont see them much around here.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #779
Your cars so cool. I cant let mine see it might get jealous.  When you going to be on the Landing on the hill again any time soon?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done