Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W (Read 229236 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W

Reply #810
Quote from: turbotrav;376271
Looking good Jim....  How are you controlling boost and turbine ratios?

Travis

Thanks! So far just letting the wastegate spring handle things. I tested it at around 10 psi off the seat static on the bench.  I haven't sen signs of overboosting yet, but it hasn't been at WOT for very long stretches.

Reply #811
Wot.  Need vidieo. Time to smooth out them pretty new tires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #812
Heh heh.

Got to play golf today. 43 degrees in sun and no wind in late December = 18 holes in boots.

I tossed the keys to my boy and he drove it home. He said he was glad to have the Daytona since he'd be more apt to "stay out of trouble", but got a real thrill driving the 'bird.

Westie, I'll get those old tires back on soon for a video. I want to finish the moldings first so it'll look nice in the film.

Reply #813
So you got the wastegate controlling the boost.  How about the turbine ration for spool up? I thought you had Holset VGT351he or something like that.  From the 2007 and new 6.7 Dodge spoogemins?  If im forgetting the correct turbo, Im sorry.  It was a few pages ago. :)

I would think you would have usable boost by 2500rpms.  Is the torque converter working out for you.

Thanks,

Travis

P.S.  Im about ready to start my XR7 turbo v8 swap thread.  Then Jim can bug me. hahaha

Reply #814
Yeah someone I know who is eyeballs-deep into Land Rovers swears by Waxoyl. The concept is perfect. It is expensive...and Eastwood has a knock-off that apparently is the same type of compound. $19/quart it would be worth it to test it, see what it's like. Would work out to abut $60 a gallon savings over Waxoyl, but I'd rather save my pennies and get the real thing if it's just not quite the same thing. And that's the way you wanna go if you have the chance to try and rust-proof a vehicle you're gonna expose to the salt up here. Be sure you pack those stupid frame rails full!!! It's amazing that there isn't but one drain hole in the bottom of them. The big one in between the K frame bolt tubes is a tube itself, completely isolated from the inner rail. But I guarantee filled with oil or grease or Waxoyl they'll stay protected.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #815
Quote from: turbotrav;376311
So you got the wastegate controlling the boost.  How about the turbine ration for spool up? I thought you had Holset VGT351he or something like that.  From the 2007 and new 6.7 Dodge spoogemins?  If im forgetting the correct turbo, Im sorry.  It was a few pages ago. :)

I would think you would have usable boost by 2500rpms.  Is the torque converter working out for you.

Thanks,

Travis

P.S.  Im about ready to start my XR7 turbo v8 swap thread.  Then Jim can bug me. hahaha

Not bugging me at all Travis! That's what the list is for. I'm happy to talk about the details of this swap.

The turbine sleeve is now locked wide open, and getting the turbo to spool is not an issue. I know that a lot of guys are enamored with playing with controlling the sleeve, but I don't think it's an issue on a V8. Truly, my neighbor had one of these 351HE's on a 4 banger with a locked sleeve, and it was working fine for him.

I am a bit surprised that the Ebay 38mm wastegate is able to keep the boost controlled so far. I am fully expecting that when I get to max effort pulls that I will start to see boost creep. I was concerned initially that it would be enough to even use on a daily driver basis, but so far so good.

The only reason I used this particular turbo was that I got it for $150.00 and it looked like new. I really wouldn't recommend it at all unless a person got one dirt cheap. It appears to perform just fine so far in this combo, but it is heavy, large, and caused hardship with mounting and drain line locating.

The torque converter works fine so far in the daily driver capacity. I am limiting the rpms to 5300 under boost to keep from ballooning it and destroying it.

The plan is for a billet job next year when I get ready to take it to the track.

Reply #816
Quote from: ZondaC12;376322
Yeah someone I know who is eyeballs-deep into Land Rovers swears by Waxoyl. The concept is perfect. It is expensive...and Eastwood has a knock-off that apparently is the same type of compound. $19/quart it would be worth it to test it, see what it's like. Would work out to abut $60 a gallon savings over Waxoyl, but I'd rather save my pennies and get the real thing if it's just not quite the same thing. And that's the way you wanna go if you have the chance to try and rust-proof a vehicle you're gonna expose to the salt up here. Be sure you pack those stupid frame rails full!!! It's amazing that there isn't but one drain hole in the bottom of them. The big one in between the K frame bolt tubes is a tube itself, completely isolated from the inner rail. But I guarantee filled with oil or grease or Waxoyl they'll stay protected.

I ordered a few gallons of the Eastwood stuff years ago to try out. It is OK stuff, but doesn't spray as nice as the Waxoyl.  In fact, the can I am using now is a mixture of about 75/25 Waxoyl to Eastwood.

When I did the Triumphs I liked to spray the inside of the frames and lightly coat the undersides to give them protection against less than perfect storage conditions.

Thanks for the tip on the frame rails. I'll give them another shot when I get a chance.

Reply #817
We got (almost) all the 'bird boxes packed away or consolidated. Now my daughter can park her Versa in the back garage with me this winter.

I've been pulling my hair out over trying to pair my phone with the car pc for making calls. I can use the media on the phone and play it through the car stereo, but can't access the calling features.

I tried the bluesoleil drivers and that made no difference except to kill my GPS sharing utility, Bransen GPS gate. I may end up with just using a Motorola headset for hands-free. It pairs up nicely for all functions right out of the box. I guess that would be nice for when I drive the TR7, especially if I keep a lot of my music on the phone.

On another note, this tank of gas was 14.5 mpg, so a bit of an improvement. I still had a lot of idling time, and the tune was still too rich. I have it dialed down quite a bit now, so I am hoping for closer to 18 mpg out of this tank (at least).

I got the center FP gage to read out green when the lights are on. I also installed all the plastic around the lower dash and fixed the burned out bulb behind the fuel gage. Stuck in a cheap set of rubber mats for winter. My wife got me a set of embroidered 'bird mats for Christmas. I'll put them in after the  weather is over.

Next up is to install a back-up camera, trim out the trunk, make labels for the toggle switches next to the steering wheel, keep working on the cold start and idle, and get the center console trimmed out.

Back-up camera

Reply #819
Here's a cheap and easy camera from Ebay. 17.00 shipped from NJ. It came with wire harness and license plate mount. I am very pleased with it.

X

Reply #820
XX

Reply #821
Wired in as a back up camera? Have you seen the ones that fit into a keyhole? There alittle bigger> but most people expect it to be a jay and ignore it completely.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #822
Quote from: Haystack;376579
Wired in as a back up camera? Have you seen the ones that fit into a keyhole? There alittle bigger> but most people expect it to be a jay and ignore it completely.

There were several choices. This one looked easiest to mount so I got it. It is wired as a backup camera. I had to drill one hole below the taillights and splice in to the reverse light power and ground. Then just connected it to the aux2 input to my screen and was done.

I used it yesterday and backed down my brothers 1/4 mile long driveway without cheating a peek. Works pretty good!

Reply #823
I LOVE my Yokohama radials!

4" of snow and I went right through it. I was pushing snow all the way up the driveway tonight and it never even spun.

Rockin'.

Reply #824
Why all the tape on the center console?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.