Skip to main content
Topic: Bought a modified '88 Turbo Coupe (Read 9494 times) previous topic - next topic

Bought a modified '88 Turbo Coupe

Reply #30
Quote from: bhazard;223690
So why not just find a nice sport bird to do up a v8 in and leave the NICE tc's to the people that want a NICE TC?

Just sayin....its getting harder to come by a nice tc every day.

that was my point all along.
1987 TC

Reply #31
Cause nobody out here wants a TC or even knows what they are, and the guys that do sell them for an arm and a leg and nobody buys them.

Reply #32
pics of the Cougar?
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #33
Quote from: HAVI;223513
most of my co-workers have GTO's, Coronet RT's, Caprices, Toronados, etc...  Every one of their cars has increased in value, despite them driving them, and using them....unlike stocks or money in a savings account.  That said, the Turbo Coupe has popped up as one of those future investments.  I'm the Ford guy of the bunch and I mentioned that most TC's are losing the 2.3T and are being replaced by 5.0's.  30 years from now, the 2.3T in original form is gonna be alot more valuable than a 5.0 TC.  How much do you think a Grand National will be worth with an engine swap? 

First off, if you ain't pumping some of your pay into a 401K(if avail), you're seriously fornicatekin' up...

As for a GN it will run rings around a TC and still be a daily driver... But most are to valuable to do so, just for that reason...

As far as saving them, I've saved my '69 428CJ Fairlane from the clutches of the Mustang crowd, who have gutted many for their drive trains... These cars are far rarer than a TC and mine is now worth on the north side of $25K... You think I'm worried about a TC that I paid $1200 for in '97??? Not likely...

Quote from: 1WLD BRD;223679
then build a 5.0L for it... :mullet: :burnout:

Gets my vote...

Reply #34
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;223687
LMAO, I knew that would stir up the whiners. LOL
yes the 4 bangers are lame. :flip:  I prefer my cars to sound good, not sound like a john deere, thanks.  and dont worry, I can afford the gas.... 

where do you live?  gas is already above that price here, now!

hell id think about tradeing my stang for a turbo 4
i agree about the sound though
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #35
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;223699
But A GN will run rings around a TC and still be a daily driver... But most are to valuable to do so, just for that reason...

As far as saving them, I've saved my '69 428CJ Fairlane from the clutches of the Mustang crowd, who have gutted many for their drive trains... These cars are far rarer than a TC and mine is now worth on the north side of $25K... You think I'm worried about a TC that I paid $1200 for in '97??? Not likely
I'm not gonna argue with that.  30 years ago, I would have gutted a Fairlane for the drivetrain, too.
Would I do it today?...no.  Today I would gut a 2.3T for a 5.0.  30 years from now would a guy do it?  probably not.  That was my point.  Hardly any of us are thinking of these cars 30 years from now. That's just how it goes...we live for today.

These guys' 401K's are maxed out, but that money just sits there.  So they buy muscle cars and drive them cuz they feel they are getting use out of their money....with the ol' cliche...you can't take it with you.  Me?...Hell, I'm the poor man of the group, lol.
1987 TC

Reply #36
Quote from: bhazard;223690
So why not just find a nice sport bird to do up a v8 in and leave the NICE tc's to the people that want a NICE TC?

Just sayin....its getting harder to come by a nice tc every day.

Totally agreed.. there are plenty of regular birds out there that can have a 5.0 to go in a straight line - TC's should stay as TC's. Have you even heard the TC yet? They are not ricers for sure.
88 TC/5sp/Gillis being resurected
69 Stang/347/TKO/EFI
... lots of other wheeled toys ...

Reply #37
Quote from: HAVI;223710

These guys' 401K's are maxed out, but that money just sits there.

Hardly, if it's invested properly it's makin' more money... Course maybe not much at the moment as the stock market is a bit on the suckky side...  But even if say $250K is only making 3-4% a year, thats $7500-$10 grand... Plus many 401s are matched by the employer to 5% of your deposit, so that's 100% on your initial investment...

Reply #38
Quote from: protowrxs;223711
- TC's should stay as TC's.

:rollin: :rollin:  Hell with all the threads of the guys tryin' to swap 8.8" rears into their 5.0 Birds/Cougs, I believe it was probably  easier to swap the 5.0 into a car that already had a 8.8...

Mine will never have a 4cyl again as long as I own it...

Reply #39
Our company matches up to 6%.  Last quarter I took a -8.6% hit.

Anyway, in our discussions at work, I wasn't agreeing with them to go out and buy a muscle car, just that for a poor guy like me now....the idea would be to buy something that has a potential to make money, and still enjoy it....I don't see a Corsica being of more value over a TC per se, lol.
  One guy bought a 69 Gran Prix for $5000.  He drives it alot.  According to blue book, it is worth more than $5000.  No loss there.  It will only increase in value over time as long as he doesn't wreck it, lol.
1987 TC

Reply #40
I didnt say i WASNT going to keep it a TURBO coupe..... ;)  just going to double the amount of cylinders, and improve the sound and throttle response thats all. :evilgrin:
and as for starting with a V8?  if they came with the ABS and ARC I would...  I doubt it is easy to swap that stuff to a V8 model....

Reply #41
Quote from: HAVI;223722
Our company matches up to 6%.  Last quarter I took a -8.6% hit.
Hopefully the fund managers will buy low... Of course some are locked for a year, so you may still get hit... Main thing is don't sweat it, it'll come back...

Reply #42
I'm not, I've got many more years before I can touch it without penalty.  Oh and FWIW, I did buy a TC and I'm putting a V8 in it, too. Mine just didn't come with any engine. I ain't saying what to do, and what not to do with a TC, it's not mine, but the overall consensus is how many TC's 30 years from now will remain untouched?  Obviously mine won't be one of them, lol.

Now only if my dad kept the ed Baracuda:rolleyes:
1987 TC

Reply #43
now if this was a bone stock un modifed lowmilage one?  yeah, dont touch it, but it isnt. this car was built to be enjoyed...  Im just going to make it suit my tastes

Reply #44
that's a hell of a nice car.  you should get it.  the price is very fair.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily: