Skip to main content
Topic: Bought a modified '88 Turbo Coupe (Read 9840 times) previous topic - next topic

Bought a modified '88 Turbo Coupe

Reply #15
Lately at work, discussion has popped up about cars as investments.  Well we've talked about that several times, as most of my co-workers have GTO's, Coronet RT's, Caprices, Toronados, etc...  Every one of their cars has increased in value, despite them driving them, and using them....unlike stocks or money in a savings account.  That said, the Turbo Coupe has popped up as one of those future investments.  I'm the Ford guy of the bunch and I mentioned that most TC's are losing the 2.3T and are being replaced by 5.0's.  30 years from now, the 2.3T in original form is gonna be alot more valuable than a 5.0 TC.  How much do you think a Grand National will be worth with an engine swap?  It's a view of the forest thru the trees, and I'm on meds, but the idea is to keep the 2.3T in the car and enjoy it for what it is....a nicely done Turbo Coupe.

(As long as TC's continue to get 5.0 swaps, the rarer the 2.3T TC's become, which only increases the value even more down the road)

If I bought it, I'd leave the 2.3 in it, and have the Capri w/5.0 for the v8.  And then buy another car down the line, and another, and another, etc...lol

OK, I re-read this thread, and yes, I'd buy the 88TC in a heartbeat.  I would also make note of what kind of body kit the other car has, and do some research to what availability one would be and go from there.  Can't have too many cars, IMO.
1987 TC

Reply #16
Quote from: KRAZPNY
some interior shots as asked. couldnt get any good underneath shots due to it being low. but there isnt any holes. the only bad part is at the pinch welds where someone has obviously tried lifting the car with a jack at that point. so its a bit bent but other than that shes good.wld brd check your pm's

Ok I sold the Capri, and that is how I came up with the $5000.  I just cant get over the sound of the four banger, and lack of instant torque like a HO has.  there is also another car I have been negotiating on and WILL be getting first if I can get him to come down abit in price....  It is worth WAY more then he is asking but I cant afford it, and he emailed and said he would drop to $5000 if I have cash on hand. (which I do...)  that one will be a treat for the CJ crew to see before I show the board though... if I get it.

Reply #17
ok the guy accepted my offer on the other car, so it looks like I will be going with it....  the first ones to see it will be the people at CJ....

Reply #18
IIRC, you said you had issues with getting the Capri insured, or something like that?  In that case, I guess selling it wasn't a bad option as that will get rid of any headaches.
1987 TC

Reply #19
WHAT DID U BUY!! not fair...
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #20
K guys, after drinking and thinking all weekend, I decided to grab the TC.  so next weekend I have to go pick it up. $4200.  he just put a 255lph pump in it and an autometer air/fuel gauge and boost gauge

Reply #21
what was the other car??
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #22
86 Cougar with a Vortech supercharged 5.0L and 5 speed.

Reply #23
Congrats!!!

You gonna keep this one?!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #24
giving Sleeper a run for his money, lol.
1987 TC

Reply #25
Quote from: V8Demon;223676
Congrats!!!

You gonna keep this one?!

haha yeah, the wife really likes it, and she is the one that talked me into getting it.  I have some big plans for the car.  First goal will be to take it to the track and see if I can make it back onto the top 25 list...:hick:  then build a 5.0L for it... :mullet: :burnout:

Reply #26
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;223679
haha yeah, the wife really likes it, and she is the one that talked me into getting it.  I have some big plans for the car.  First goal will be to take it to the track and see if I can make it back onto the top 25 list...:hick:  then build a 5.0L for it... :mullet: :burnout:

NOOOOOOO aw man really!!
and  that cougar would have been sweet!
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #27
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;223679
then build a 5.0L for it... :mullet: :burnout:

Lame. $5 per gallon gas will be nice in a 5.0 by then huh?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #28
LMAO, I knew that would stir up the whiners. LOL
yes the 4 bangers are lame. :flip:  I prefer my cars to sound good, not sound like a john deere, thanks.  and dont worry, I can afford the gas.... 

where do you live?  gas is already above that price here, now!

Reply #29
So why not just find a nice sport bird to do up a v8 in and leave the NICE tc's to the people that want a NICE TC?

Just sayin....its getting harder to come by a nice tc every day.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles