Skip to main content
Topic: Bought a modified '88 Turbo Coupe (Read 9526 times) previous topic - next topic

Bought a modified '88 Turbo Coupe

Reply #45
does anybody have any Idea what this thing should run?  or how much power it should be laying down?

Reply #46
Depends on the boost you run/is running.
That's a good size turbo on there so i'd have to say between 250-300hp at the flywheel.
Take her for a drive when ya get her and do the old seat of the pants feel.

Reply #47
hey Chris We will have to get together for a photo shoot, and crash the burlington mall some time soon.  two real TC's there.  might bring some attention.

Reply #48
i know it would be well worth the money it looks like it should run okay depending on boost and traction the wheels look better on the TC than mine because of the darker color of the car. Nice Find
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #49
Did you get it yet????

Reply #50
next monday I will be going and picking it up.  should looked cool on my trailer LOL.

Reply #51
Congrats!!! I love that car!!!
1988 Cougar LS 5.0 (currently parting out):cougarsmily:
1989 Mustang LX Notch 2.3 (Project):ford:

Reply #52
Well, she is home.  and I must say, I am not overly impressed by the power, (or should I say lack of...)  I gotta do somoething to make it faster, or sell it. :p

Needs some work, but definatly a solid start for a project....

Reply #53
Car looks great!  nice score.  As for swapping the 5.0.  All I have to say is, modding cars (the right way) is just as big as keeping them original.  I'm all about making the car what I want or what I think Ford whould have done and hopefully in the future my vision (when it finally gets done) will be just as valuable to some as a bone stocker is to others - and in some cases more.  In my mind, well, any joe-schmoe can put a car back to original by copying what the factory did but it takes more thought and creativity to hopefully make something original.  More than anything, it comes down to what's fun for me.  It's like arguing Chevy vs Ford.  The hardcore guys will never sway so I say just appreciate it for what it is...  If he wants to go 5.0, he will most likely go 5.0.  Awesome, hope he has a blast.  And if he bought it to keep it stock, I'd be 100% behind him for that too!  :D
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #54
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;223687
LMAO, I knew that would stir up the whiners. LOL
yes the 4 bangers are lame. :flip:  I prefer my cars to sound good, not sound like a john deere, thanks.  and dont worry, I can afford the gas.... 

where do you live?  gas is already above that price here, now!

LEAVE THAT TC THE WAY IT IS!!! Anyone with a brain would. If you want to put a 5.0L in something don't waist your time putting it in a gorgeous fairly unmolested turbo coupe that has been modified to slay most fox body 5.0L anyways. And If your going to do build a motor build something with a little more prestige. The 5.0L thing has been done to many times.
:birdsmily:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

Reply #55
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;224314
Well, she is home.  and I must say, I am not overly impressed by the power, (or should I say lack of...)  I gotta do somoething to make it faster, or sell it. :p

Needs some work, but definatly a solid start for a project....

Turn up the boost.
:birdsmily:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

Reply #56
i'd buy that car off your hands at the end of summer!
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #57
Quote from: turbo88;224330
LEAVE THAT TC THE WAY IT IS!!! Anyone with a brain would. If you want to put a 5.0L in something don't waist your time putting it in a gorgeous fairly unmolested turbo coupe that has been modified to slay most fox body 5.0L anyways. And If your going to do build a motor build something with a little more prestige. The 5.0L thing has been done to many times.

:stupid:

and i think he should do a carb'd 5.4L. i might no someone who has one for sale. :D

/end shameless plug
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #58
I put a 5.0L in a under 100km unmolested TC and am happier than a pig in S**T as it has more power and is more reliable than an 2.3L turbo could ever be,(here comes the 2.3L vs 5.0L war LOL).
As stated above it's about personal preference,it's your car, do what will please you the most, not everybody else!

Reply #59
Quote from: turbo88;224331
Turn up the boost.

just did, and it is still a dog! :flame:  the guy I bought it from said one full turn equals 1lbs of boost...  WRONG!!!  I went 2 full turns expecting 14lbs of boost, (from the 12lbs setting) I got over 20lbs!!  right now I have it set at 17lbs.  It pulls alot better, but it is still nothing special...
...a gorgeous fairly unmolested turbo coupe that has been modified to slay most fox body 5.0L anyways.

LMAO yeah right, maybe grand marquise's...
it is far from "unmolested"....  the ride control is long gone, (2000 GT susnpension) and the abs doesnt work, (ran sn95 stuff and didnt hook it up... Chris we will be talking about that, as I want it working....)
and this car is FAR from mint, alot of interior trim pieces are broke....  I have a lot of work ahead of me.  The pics make it look good. needs a paint job too.  Dominator's is nicer then mine.

it is DEFINATLY getting a 5.0L by summers end.  you wonder why so many people have swapped 5.0L's into things?????  IT WORKS!!!  plain and simple.  the 5.0L is a PROVEN realiable and POWERFUL motor, which is why so many people use it.  why would I want to swap in something that may not work well or be a nightmare to get up and running....  look at 32Vfoxbird's project... (no offense)  but he has been working on that swap since I joined this board and it is STILL nowheres close to being finished.