Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 135876 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #495
When I installed the engine with the AOD,(larger than the 5 speed),we lifted the assembly,and as i said,stabbed it all right in with the nose on the car.Either way,whatever is good for you is good for me.I thought I'd just try to help a little and save some time for you.So,how long until you get to actually take it for a test drive?Are you using new exhaust or what you already had?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #496
Well I plan/hope to be driving it all over the place by the end of the weekend (maybe earlier if we stab it all in at once hehe).  It's sad, actually - the past 2 nights I've had dreams about driving it around and taking it down the track.  Yes...my sanity is THAT far gone.  :hick:

As for exhaust, everything is the same as before except that I got a 2.5in OR H pipe instead of the old 2.25in H pipe with 4 cats.  Can't wait to hear it without cats!

Reply #497
After installing my 5 speed,all else staying the same,the car seemed louder.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #498
Yeah it did seem a little louder to me also.  But I also bet that the 4 cats were holding back a lot of sound.  I'll find out soon enough.  Oh, and I'll have some progress pics for everyone tonight so you can see what I've been busting ass on the past few days.

Reply #499
I'd load it all in at one time, but thats how I usually do it.

Reply #500
Quote from: kingcars;264292
Can't wait to hear it without cats!

It should sound similar to my cougar as it did not have cats :evilgrin:
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #501
Quote from: kingcars;264292
Well I plan/hope to be driving it all over the place by the end of the weekend (maybe earlier if we stab it all in at once hehe).  It's sad, actually - the past 2 nights I've had dreams about driving it around and taking it down the track.  Yes...my sanity is THAT far gone.  :hick:

As for exhaust, everything is the same as before except that I got a 2.5in OR H pipe instead of the old 2.25in H pipe with 4 cats.  Can't wait to hear it without cats!

You love it! It will be a lot louder without the cats. I did notice a little power from it. Nothing huge. It seems to shift quicker now. As in it will go into 3rd before it is needed even under a slight load. It does seem to hold 1st better when I get on it. Could all be in my head too. Sounds SO much better though.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #502
install engine and tranny together. end of discussion.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #503
Thanks for the tips, guys.  Anyways, once the engine bay got painted on Tuesday, I spent the rest of the week getting the engine ready for battle.  Here she is:

Reply #504
is that a used water pump?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #505
Yes, we got it brand new when we did the HO conversion so it's still in good shape.

Reply #506
lol a little spray of alum paint and your little secret would have been safe ...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #507
Meh I dont care...it's not gonna be a show car :)

Reply #508
It's going to look great done!
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

Reply #509
Quote from: kingcars;264397
Meh I dont care...it's not gonna be a show car :)

Better to have a known good used pump than a new one that has yet to be ran. My new Motorcraft one went out less than 1,000 miles on the new motor. My Autozone replacement has been going great since.
1988 Thunderbird Sport