Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 136412 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #465
It'll remove paint where it's thin, but that doesnt bother me since I'm repainting it anyway.  Where can I get that prep sol stuff?

Reply #466
I picked mine up at a local CarQuest auto parts store. Any place that carries Dupont paint products should have it. I went with that because it's a great de-greaser and leaves no residue behind. As long as you scuff good and the paint is clean befor you spra you should be fine. You could always spray in some adhesion promoter. It's just the engine bay so no need to go nuts, you just dont want the paint to flake off. That would suck.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #467
Well my dad has some final clean stuff that we normally rub on before painting...guess i'll use some of that.

Reply #468
Alright, so I spent about 6.5 hours today degreasing the engine.  I'm not gonna go nuts cleaning all the wires/hoses and stuff (only briefly went over the main ones) but I'm extremely happy with how it came out.

Before:

After:

I also cleaned/painted these while I had them out:

Tomorrow, my uncle and I will get it painted up and ready to go, so expect more pics then.  It's gettin there!

Reply #469
Looking good, now drop that motor in already :burnout:
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #470
This may have already been mentioned but are you painting your engine bay black or back to the white?
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #471
Engine bay is gonna stay white :) .

@20ann:  Just gotta paint the engine bay tomorrow, then get all the accessories cleaned up and prepped on the 306, and she'll be ready!

Reply #472
So are you going to come help with mine if I ever get my new motor built? You fit better:hick: LOL, Im just messing with you. Looks good. I would go over the K member real quick though. Unless you have some plans we dont know about....
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #473
My uncle came by today and helped me get the engine bay painted.  Check it out!

Unfortunately, my batteries died before I got the pic of my favorite touches, like keeping the factory stickers on the front rad support, along with a factory-written permanent marker that says "#174 4-28-88"  (which I consider the car's bday...yes I'm THAT sick).  We also kept the factory fender labels.  But anyways, the engine bay has NEVER looked this good since we've had it.  I can't wait to see how the 306 looks sittin in there!

Reply #474
sweet, looks nice man
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #475
It would look cool if you painted the grill white too! Maybe the tbird in the middle black. Just a thought.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #476
Why stop painting so high up? That's only half the engine bay...the easy half!

...it's easy to waste a weekend just painting the engine bay. I painted the lower side of mine but have yet to touch the top...not that black matters much. The fresh paint looks good.

You know, I never thought about this until I ran into a wall. 19lb injectors may not be enough for that motor. With my gt40p headed/HO cammed engine, I'm completely out of fuel injector (near 100% DC) in the 4k rpm range, far from where I want the engine to run up to (5500). You may as well go 24lb before you finish it up. This is with a new fuel pump and 39psi fuel pressure at no vacuum.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #477
The injectors will be near their limit, I should be ok from what I've heard.  I researched that early in the project.  Also remember that I'm running Speed Density, so swapping injectors would require me to swap to MAF also.  As for the engine bay...for starters, it's gonna be raining all week from here on out so we only had 2 days to do it, and the car will still be a daily driver for quite a while.  It's not gonna be a show car, so I'm not too worried about that.

Reply #478
what do ya think?

:hick:
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #479
Here's roughly what your's would look like painted:

I just took a wide razor knife, "shaved" the chrome plating off, sanded with a medium grit, and rattle-canned it. The bugs and whatnot weren't part of my final design though lol :hick:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6