Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 136416 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #525
loooks bad A$$!!!!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #526
What shoulda been the 1988 Thunderbird SVT Cobra :rollin:    U betta rrrrrooooast emmmm
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #527
Thanks for all the compliments :) .  It is very exciting.

Quote from: 1WLD BRD;264779
looks great man.  You are my competition in the racing section, LOL.  looks like I gotta step up my game, you should be well in the mid 13's now.  I should be able to pull off a high 13 this spring once I get the tranny swapped.  (though I have taken a few buddies with low 13 cars, for rips lately and they say mine is faster.. LOL)

Congrats man, cant wait to hear a vid of it, and see some timeslips.

Haha well, my E/Ts will probably be driver-limited, so I'm figuring that I'll run high 13s till I get better (I lost ~3 tenths in the 1/8th after swapping to the T5...but idk, maybe I've gotten better.  We'll see).  We'll definitely have close setups though!

Quote from: ZondaC12;264796
What shoulda been the 1988 Thunderbird SVT Cobra :rollin:    U betta rrrrrooooast emmmm

Bscly!

Reply #528
I hope everything fires off perfect - I don't wish anyone to have the problems I had with my first engine...this thread seems like a similar progression on those events only to find out that the engine block was cracked. That thing's still sitting in the garage without being able to find where all that water was coming from...

CHECK EVERYTHING before you fire it off. I recommend making 100% sure you have the right pushrod length, pressure checking the cooling system, priming the fuel system to check for leaking/stuck fuel injectors/orings, then all the other usual things like you know...having oil/oil pressure, having the distributor in right, having the spark plugs in the HO firing order, nothing touching the headers, all power wires bolted down tight, and so on. If I had checked my cooling system pressure up to 20psi (was fine up to around 14-15) when the motor was new, I would have found that water was escaping and prevented a year long nightmare.

...and make sure the  oxygen sensor harness connectors are plugged into the right sides ;)

I hope to hear 100% success and 50-100 miles put onto this thing quickly. Myself, I'm getting some Borla XS lers installed tomorrow :D Flowmaster (3 chamber at that) drone is the worst. It's nice when things run right and you can focus on other things.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #529
I would throw an extra $20 at the brand new motor for a rebuilt motor, but thats just me. I see it sort of like using an old oil pump after losing oil pressure. I know its really not a big deal, but I think the last thing you want to do is a water pump once you get it running.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #530
Quote from: Haystack;264965
I would throw an extra $20 at the brand new motor for a rebuilt motor, but thats just me. I see it sort of like using an old oil pump after losing oil pressure. I know its really not a big deal, but I think the last thing you want to do is a water pump once you get it running.

Eh, water pump's quick and easy ;) Then again, so are heads after doing it a few weekends in a row. Of course, this only counts on a new/clean motor. Get some grime and rust on there and it becomes miserable.

I'd still trust a previously running low mileage water pump over a new or remanufacturered one though. I just have bad luck with new parts.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #531
Well I know my water pump is fine, unless a few days of not being used messed it up :P .  As for the block, it had lots of TLC at the machine shop so I'm confident it's ok.  The injectors and o-rings are tried and true as well (the whole fuel system is, actually...won't have the new fuel pump in for a couple more days).  The oil system was primed once already before we dropped the motor in and it worked perfectly, and it'll be primed again before the first start.  We've already run every check possible so far (the heads were barely shaved and the rockers tightened down within spec).  This is far from just a thrown together engine; we've taken our time :) .  Unfortunately, the car still isnt QUITE ready to fire, but there's no reason to suspect that it won't be running by tomorrow.  If dad was feelin ok, it'd be running already (he's quite frustrated!), but since I was working mostly by myself today, progress was pretty slow.  I still got a good bit done; 99.9% of the under the hood stuff is done:

Sorry for the py nighttime pic; it was dark when I finished up.  I had to try several different belt lengths since I removed the air pump; for those who would like to know, 86.5in is the size needed.

Reply #532
Looks awesome!!!! Hope to hear some good news tomorra!!! :D
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #533
fire that BEOTCH up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18° base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/flipnbird/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )

Reply #534
Hey I just read what I wrote, that wasn't supposed to sound so mean...

Good luck wit it, and we will need pics.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #535
SHE RUNS SHE RUNS SHE RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNS!!!!

There's a lot of adjusting still left to be done...but wow.....wow.  I've driven it about 40 miles so far, dad "accidentally" took it up to 6k in first gear, and I haven't seen a drop of fluid come out of it.  Also my oil pressure guage is in the middle at minimum...on the highway, it was just under max :D .  And dont worry, there will be more vids coming over the next couple of weeks; that's just a teaser vid for now.  Thanks to everybody who has helped on this project.  It's so awesome!  Now it's time for smiley spam...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Reply #536
Congrats!
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #537
Oh...hell...yes.  I think I will go to bed now and have wet dreams about your car.  Sounds tough man!!!!  get some action vids for us ASAP!  lol.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #538
cool dude congrats!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #539
wow... I CANT WAIT TO F@#@ING RIDE IN THAT BIRD!!!! Dude I am very happy that you are done. Enjoy!
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)