Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138480 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #555
Quote from: MrBill88Tbird;265354
No way!!! I have way to much time invested in it!!! Legally it's still my car......Thanks Son for all the improvements you have made on the TBird. You can have my T/A as I'm taking the TBird back!!!! :shakeass:  :rollin:

This is me :burnout:

This is Anthony :toilet:

:flame:

LOL

Bubba love your attitude , Have the kid show a movie of you burning the bird!, you know putting it through the paces.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #556
Can't wait to bring the turbo bird down there so we can show em how Ford does things at the track! :evilgrin:
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #557
Quote from: kingcars;265323
it was a bad TPS

Had one of those too. It REALLY becomes a problem with an electronic automatic that relies on the tps. I won't go back to a stick though for the usage I put on cars. I just now regret not going with a Dart block and forged crank as it would have cost the same in the end as having to buildup two blocks.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #558
Yeah once we put the old TPS back in, she idled PERFECTLY at 800rpm.  The car hasn't ever idled this good before...I love it.

Reply #559
Quote from: kingcars;265415
Yeah once we put the old TPS back in, she idled PERFECTLY at 800rpm.  The car hasn't ever idled this good before...I love it.

It's probably ~625rpm. Mine reads like 750 but the EEC shows 625 and that's the target when warm. At least this is the A9P (automatic) EEC. I have a much smoother idle in drive than in park...I swear something's not right. Then again, it probably shouldn't idle as smooth as the SO cam.

Edit:
I will add that this is only if the idle is "adjusted" correctly. It actually SHOULDN'T be able to run with the IAC disconnected as far as I know, but just barely fail. There's a proper technique for this, not the garage mechanic way that is passed around and that I typically use myself. Also, mine only gets slightly "rough" when in closed loop when the o2's are switching. At 800 rpm's, it's smooth. Rev's smooth. Idles at 625 rougher than I'd like...I can feel the motor which is too much in my opinion but I also don't want to go back to hydraulic motor mounts.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #560
My old engine had a leak somewhere from the moment we did the HO conversion...always idled at 1000-1100 rpm with the 5 speed (and did so with the AOD in Park or Neutral).  Now I can pull up to a light and she'll drop right to 800.

Reply #561
Quote from: kingcars;265420
My old engine had a leak somewhere from the moment we did the HO conversion...always idled at 1000-1100 rpm with the 5 speed (and did so with the AOD in Park or Neutral).  Now I can pull up to a light and she'll drop right to 800.

Yeah, leaks aren't fun but also very easy to find. It's still likely much lower than 800 actual rpm's. The gauges are little better than an "idiot light", they are off so much. Either way, this doesn't matter. It idles low and correctly, that's one piece of good news for a new build.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #562
congrats man, she sounds great.

Dont worry about what the others are saying too much about the fuel pump...  I have proven that the stock 302 SO pump will handle a built 5.0L. (as long as it is in good shape and working properly...)  when I had my car on the dyno it was running pig rich through the entire RPM band.  I put down 200hp and 244torque to the wheels, through a weak AOD, stock stang headers, and WAY too much fuel.

I am hoping to crack the 250hp to the wheels this year on the dyno...  Cant wait to see what your bird runs at the track now..

PS I still have the stock pump in my tank, though I DO want to upgrade it SOON for peace of mind...  that and I have a little somethng I am working on for the Cougars motor this year....  :evilgrin:

Reply #563
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;265454
Dont worry about what the others are saying too much about the fuel pump...  I have proven that the stock 302 SO pump will handle a built 5.0L.

The stock Standard Output pump is good for a max of ~240hp at the crank and that's pushing it. Sure there are other things involved like where at in the rpm band but that's like +/- 5% of the above figure. Of course, this is naturally aspirated.

My stock pump, with its old age on top of that, was giving me noticeable problems at 3500 rpm's on this motor. I didn't have a wideband at the time. I had to take it easy on it until I got the 255lph. Now it runs better all around and I'm having traction problems with 225R60/16's in the 30-40mph range when you normally would get on it to pass a slower person merging onto the highway. Then again, it drops into 1st gear at WOT until around 50mph so the gearing may have had some to do with it. 2.84 1st gear with 2.73's is handy with its 15mph range gain over 3.73's (from 41mph to 56mph it can stay in 1st rather than shift into the 1.55 ratio second, having 33% more torque multiplication in the speed range). All with a 5500rpm shifting "redline" for the torque converter I wouldn't want at 6000.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #564
Quote from: Seek;265565
The stock Standard Output pump is good for a max of ~240hp at the crank and that's pushing it. Sure there are other things involved like where at in the rpm band but that's like +/- 5% of the above figure. Of course, this is naturally aspirated.

Well I am above that now and no issues.  But as I said, I am swapping mine soon for piece of mind.

You will be fine for now untill you can afford to upgrade.  hell I have been driving around and not gently either, for a year with no issues from fuel starvation...  quite the opposite actually...  on teh dyno I was running WAY rich the entire rpm band. and it was smooth too, not an erratic fuel line like the opperater expected.:D

here are my dyno charts:

this was before adding some other upgrades and through the AOD.

Reply #565
Nice.  I have the fuel pump already, just gonna wait till we have a chance to bring it to a friend's shop that has a lift.

Reply #566
If you have not already, that would be a great time to toss in a new filter....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #567
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;265589
Well I am above that now and no issues.  But as I said, I am swapping mine soon for piece of mind.

You sure it wasn't ever swapped in its lifetime? Then again, not all pumps would pump "exactly" as rated either. Either way, anyone making stock HO power or more should install a new fuel pump. Last thing we need is someone thinking they can get by with the stocker and leaning their motor out till damage because they read somewhere that the stock works fine.

Of course, damage is unlikely NA. It doesn't take much before you feal/hear lack of fuel.

Just trying to be the other side of the argument for the people who read one thread and then plan their own modifications. Lack of research can lead to lack of correct information.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #568
great job Anthony !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I"m hoping to get started on mine in the next couple months.
88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18° base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/flipnbird/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )

Reply #569
Got a couple of proper vids for you all, finally.  First one is of the awesome idle/rev, and the 2nd is me taking it through the gears.  The 3rd video is a blooper I guess...you'll see.  Hope you all like it!