Skip to main content
Topic: The '80 XR-7... (Read 34779 times) previous topic - next topic

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #225
at least you remembered now. i wouldnt have known.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #226
Well I picked up a cheap Steeda clutch quadrant, so the only piece missing from the puzzle is a shift boot and  and a couple quarts of Redline MTL for the SROD. 

I should be able to have the trans in place this evening.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #227
Nice going Chuck!

I vote for a 3.0/3.2 V6 SHO. It really is a great motor, just stuck in a $#itty car with an even $#ittier trans. Rev'd like crazy!

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #228
Quote from: Chuck W;177137

Also I have lines on a couple sources for body parts, but neither has panned out fully yet.

What are you looking for? Once in awhile a Box Fox Bird or Cat shows up in the yards by me. However most of the sheet metal is, uh, snowbeltized:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #229
Well the trans is in place. 

I may need another starter, I think I recall the manual ones being different from the auto ones.  I'll just do a cross on a couple applications and see.

Time to cut a hole in the floor now for the shifter :hick:

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #230
No should be the same.  Only the truck 5 speed used a different starter.
One 88

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #231
usually manual starters have a longer snout and the mounting surface area is ****just slightly**** larger than an auto starter. 

typically a standard starter wont fit into the hole on an auto flex plate.

I took the standard starter nose off my starter and hunted around different yards till i found a flex plate the standard shift starter nose would go in.  They seem to be very rare in my neck of the woods.

on the starter, just replace the bendix.,, cheaper.,,unless you got a bad ring gear to.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #232
Well the I went ahead and removed the column shift hardware and cut the floor for the shifter.

The clutch cable is in and waiting for the quadrant to show up.

I need to take care of the neutral safety switch bypass and connect the back-up light switch, but that is no biggie.

I also yanked the cruise control  out from under the hood (since I'm not using it on this car.

The next project is to get the Y-pipe sorted and back in the car and fill the trans and button everything up.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #233
awesome work!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #234
Is there any difference(besides being older) between that dash and the 83-85 dashes? It looks very similar.
Brian

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #235
its way boxier.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #236
Quote from: atariman;177908
Is there any difference(besides being older) between that dash and the 83-84 dashes? It looks very similar.
Brian

It's all pretty different.  There is no "padded" portion, like the lower is on the later ones and the dash pad itself is "tiered".  I have an 83-84TC cluster in there at the moment, but that is also different than the 80-82 one.  This car also has a full center console, I just have it removed for the moment.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #237
I spy CRX seats.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #238
Quote from: BCA;177969
I spy CRX seats.

Yes you do.  Both sets of my Recaros need recovered and I have these, so I'm going to use them for the time being.  They are LIGHT!  I was surprised at how little they weigh.

I'll have to fab up adapter brackets, but that's a no-brainer. 

I'll also need to chop down that shifter a bit.  I could shift from the back seat with that thing. :hick:

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #239
The interior is RED:D

I like it. You should restore the interior and exterior to stock. It would look so kick ass.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.