Skip to main content
Topic: The '80 XR-7... (Read 34780 times) previous topic - next topic

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #210
Hmmm....are you a millwrite or something? So much fab work. i am almost sure I spelled that wrong.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #211
Quote from: atariman;176915
Hmmm....are you a millwrite or something? So much fab work. i am almost sure I spelled that wrong.

Nope, just don't like doing the same thing as everyone else ;)

An engineer with fab abilities...not sure what's scarier than an engineer with a welder.....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #212
How about an engineer with c4?

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #213
Quote from: atariman;176924
How about an engineer with c4?

Both can make a pretty big boom....just one in usually intentional....:hick:

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #214
Quote from: Chuck W;176916
Nope, just don't like doing the same thing as everyone else ;)

An engineer with fab abilities...not sure what's scarier than an engineer with a welder.....

A welder with AutoCAD?

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #215
[thread shiznittin]
a welder with AutoCAD is nowhere near as scary as an engineer with a welding machine.
most welders couldnt draw a straight line a specified length w/AutoCAD.

[SIZE="1"]i am a fabricator by trade, i can say these things :D [/SIZE]

[/thread shiznittin]
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #216
Quote from: Chuck W;176911
Right now the SHO is not going in the car.  The 302 is staying while I get brakes and other stuff sorted out.  I'm removing the FIOD (AOD) and installing an SROD 4spd manual.

The SHO will be using a T-5 attached to a 5.0 bell and mated to the block with my adapter plate.  It will take a custom flywheel (zero-balance 5.0 w/ SHO crank pattern) but I will have FULL access to 5.0 clutches.  It will also make the whole cable assy easier to do...I'll just be able to use Mustang stuff.

Is there any reason your using the SHO motor? Also, what liter? The 3.0 or 3.2? OR IF you dared, the 3.4L v8. :evilgrin:  I've owned a few of them and  they are fun car. Just too bad it was in a taurus body.If you need any engine help, i will do my best to help if you ask me.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #217
Quote from: ManicMike;176942
Is there any reason your using the SHO motor? Also, what liter? The 3.0 or 3.2? OR IF you dared, the 3.4L v8. :evilgrin:  I've owned a few of them and  they are fun car. Just too bad it was in a taurus body.If you need any engine help, i will do my best to help if you ask me.

Because...

It will probably be a 3.0 to start, or whatever I get my hands on.  I have a couple engines/blocks, but I may just use them for mock-up and grab a runner when the time comes. 
I'd like one of the V8's, but those are a whole other beast.  Would be sweet though..and lighter.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #218
I don't remember if this was brought up or not, but after you get this all in and working, are you going to mod the motor any?

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #219
The 302? No.

The SHO? Most likely.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #220
Quote from: Chuck W;176948
Because...

It will probably be a 3.0 to start, or whatever I get my hands on.  I have a couple engines/blocks, but I may just use them for mock-up and grab a runner when the time comes. 
I'd like one of the V8's, but those are a whole other beast.  Would be sweet though..and lighter.

Apparently, the 3.4 is stronger and stuff then the 3.0/3.2. This is only from what i read. Plus it'll be cool when you pop the hood and only have 207 cubes of V8 to show. :)

The motor mounts will be the hardest part. The intake is easy, you just get spacers and flip it 90 degree's. ECU could be the stock computer, but if your going for a wild setup. I'd add a TwEECer to the mix for tuning. Being the Fox's large engine bay, you will have MANY options as far as power adders go. The V6 REALLY wakes up when you force some air down her throat :evilgrin:

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #221
I think I can handle motor mounts ;)

The 3.4's have cam issues...which can be fixed, but still.

The stock ECU will be used to get the ting moving...MegaSquirt will follow when the mods do.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #222
3.0 and 3.2 has more after market that I've found then the 3.4 v8.
What ever you do to it, it's gonna scream!! Big bore butterflys, ported intake, cams, supercharger/turbo. I cant wait to see this thing done!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #223
Quote from: daboss351;177056
3.0 and 3.2 has more after market that I've found then the 3.4 v8.

You have to know where to look, there's plenty of aftermarket for the 3.4.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #224
I spy, with my little eye, something that rhymes with crutch....

Got the flexplate out and the flywheel and clutch installed.  Had to do it twice because when I was tightening down the pressure plate the first time I remembered I was working on a ed 302 and not a 2.3 and then remembered that the engine plates were different between the auto and manual cars....:punchballs:

Also I have lines on a couple sources for body parts, but neither has panned out fully yet.