Skip to main content
Topic: The '80 XR-7... (Read 34778 times) previous topic - next topic

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #195
If all goes well, the windshield will be back in this afternoon.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #196
OK, all went well and the windshield is back in.  Cost me $50 less than quoted too.

I was so happy I snapped a couple new pics.

It's still dirty as hell and no where near driveable, but at least the interior is sealed again...finally.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #197
It looks so shagy. I cant wait for you to finish it.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #198
Quote from: Chuck W;173407
OK, all went well and the windshield is back in.  Cost me $50 less than quoted too.

I was so happy I snapped a couple new pics.

It's still dirty as hell and no where near driveable, but at least the interior is sealed again...finally.

Sweet:D  Give it to me so I can put a 2.3T in it;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #199
Yeah it looks pretty good
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0L AOD 2.73 :cougarsmily:
1993 F150 XLT 5.8L E4OD 3.55

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #200
I love 2.3t's but that isn't what my Gut says. It says one nasty 5.0, 4.6 or even maybe a nasty 3.8sc. But 5.0 seems the way to go. So what do you really have planned Chuck? You could paint it up like a muscle car. It has that sorta look to it. MAybe even a Starsky and Hutch type piant job. LOL not.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #201
Well it has a 302 in it at the moment, but that's not staying.  It's on reprieve because it runs and I can get by with it for a short while.  The "plan" is an SHO V6.  You should know by now that 5.0's don't stay long around these parts.  The engine is lower on the list as I need to deal with other systems first.

It will probably stay in it's current livery as I think the colors and the 1/2-vinyl top set it apart from pretty much everything else that would be on the road.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #202
Quote from: Chuck W;173612

It will probably it's current livery as I think the colors and the 1/2-vinyl top set it apart from pretty much everything else that would be on the road.

Cool:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #203
Well, I managed to get the front end up in the air yesterday to start getting into the trans swap.  The biggest c is probably going to be getting the Y-pipe loose from the manifolds.
A quick check of the trans lengths shows that the SROD is just about the same length as the FIOD, so that means no new driveshaft, just a new front yoke...which I have.

We had some rain over the weekend, and the good news is that the windshield seal is working.  The mediocre news is that the door weatherseals are leaking slightly.  They are 27 years old and very compressed, so I can see that.  Nothing major, but would be getting seats and carpet wet if they were installed.

Now let's just see if the schedule cooperates.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #204
Can't wait to see that beast done man! With the work you do, we all know its gonna be insane!
Whats your plans for the SHO? Full intake, custom headers I'm guessing. Possibly a supercharger or a turbo?
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #205
Quote from: Chuck W;175427
The biggest c is probably going to be getting the Y-pipe loose from the manifolds.

Yup.

What a pain in my arse.  The two driver studs came out of the manifold and I had to cut off one of the nuts on the pass side.:punchballs:

It's out though, so now onto getting the trans out.  Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to get into that.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #206
Quote from: Chuck W;175835
Yup.

What a pain in my arse.  The two driver studs came out of the manifold and I had to cut off one of the nuts on the pass side.:punchballs:

It's out though, so now onto getting the trans out.  Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to get into that.

Ah the joys of old cars that have spent time in the rust belt:hick:

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #207
The auto is out and sitting on the ground.  Not too messy. 

Did a quick measurement now that I could get to it and the trans going in is the same length as the one coming out, so no driveshaft shenanigans will be required. 

Next is to pull the flexplate and get the rest of the shift linkage out from under there and start putting the manual pieces in.

I think the only thing I'm really missing is a clutch quadrant and shift boot.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #208
chuck. what trans are you going to use? i know a man out of a 3.0 aerostar bolts right up and you can use the stock sho clutch.
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #209
Right now the SHO is not going in the car.  The 302 is staying while I get brakes and other stuff sorted out.  I'm removing the FIOD (AOD) and installing an SROD 4spd manual.

The SHO will be using a T-5 attached to a 5.0 bell and mated to the block with my adapter plate.  It will take a custom flywheel (zero-balance 5.0 w/ SHO crank pattern) but I will have FULL access to 5.0 clutches.  It will also make the whole cable assy easier to do...I'll just be able to use Mustang stuff.