Skip to main content
Topic: The '80 XR-7... (Read 34775 times) previous topic - next topic

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #165
Nothing else in particular at the moment.  I'm working more on getting the mechanicals sorted, but I need to snag the needed body parts when I can.  Maybe look at the dash pad and see if it's uncracked.

Thanks
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #166
Just got back from Mills, he said 225$ for hood and door u pull

Looks  good man. solid as a rock... the whole car is.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #167
thats a shame that car is in a junk yard i wonder why, someone prob blew the motor and junked it stupid morons
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #168
yellow writing on hood "Runs and drives"

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #169
WHAT wish i had a place to put it shiznit id buy it, but if i bought it id make it a super sleeper. God i want it now! Someone on here needs to go save it!!!
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #170
*points at chuck* theres a 87-8 cat up there too. along with a 4dr fairmont.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #171
wish i had a way to get it and the cash it take that thing in a heart beat, and keep all the parts away from chuck haha
my $300 beater ;)

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #172
Hey Clayton-
Looks to be in good shape.  If it was a Cougar I might think about just the whole car.  The prices are a little steep, but the door looks to be in good shape as is the hood.  I'm going to mull it over a little. 
Thanks for checking it out for me.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #173
i'v only ever seen one 80 cougar done, but thats just it, no one sees them anymore( that should be on the road) and thats why you should keep it, they are cool & rare,,sell another car & find a cheaper place to put that one in

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #174
Well it's been a little while since I turned wrenches on the '80, but I got into it abit today.  A few days ago I had started installing some of the new "tune-up" parts, but today I got into it a little deeper.

This is the beast in the bay at the moment.

I snapped this pic mid-progress.

My first task of the day was the thermostat...and I'm going to rant here.  Whatever IDIOT designed these things and put the lower bolt for the stat housing BEHIND the front cover/water pump needs to be kicked in the junk.  I'd forgotten how much of a PITA those were to get to.  Nothing worked.  Either I could get a wrench in there, but no room to move it, or if there was room to move, it wasn't on the head.  I'd noticed a previous owner had slotted that bolt (ie for a screwdriver) but that wasn't going to get it loose.  So after some thinking what I wound up doing was chopping down a short 1/4-drive socket so I could get it in there and get it loose, and then I used the screwdriver to finish it up.  I almost went digging for an allen head bolt but said screw it since I had the modded socket and I cleaned and anti-siezed the bolts it should be fine next time.

Next on the list was the smog hoses.  I figure since there wasn't a pulley on the pump anymore...there was no need for all the  that's in the way of spark plugs on the pass side.  I left the pump in place for the moment because I didn't feel like chopping down a piece of tubing to replace it as the alt spacer. 

Eagle-eyed viewers will notice the 3G alt.  I think it's a 90-95A unit.  Stock was a 60A, so this will be fine.  It has a dual pulley on it because the only v-belt one I had that would fit it was from a 2.3T alternator.  It dropped right in place of the old one. I need to do the wiring, but that is cake on these.  I just need some more heat shrink tubing. 

The other thing that got replaced was the radiator.  I opened the drain on the old one when I was getting ready to do the stat, and nothing came out.  Good sign there :p  I had another in the shed, so I swapped that in.  I thought I was screwed on the trans cooler lines for a few because the threads in the rad were different bewteen the two, but I found a pair in my tool box to take care of that.  A manual trans is going in in the near future, but I didn't want to disable the car (any more than it already is :hick:) until then.

Anyway, I need some plug wires (two fell apart when I was replacing plugs) and oil and coolant.

I'm sure some are agast that I am actually going to have a car with a 302 in it.  Well right now the priorities are to get it running and mobile and back together and ready for duty.  It probably won't be driving much, but unfortunately it is going to have to suffer winter duty for at least one winter as I'm not driving the Scorpio in the snow/salt.  I think underneath is pretty good and I'll treat the other rust spots to hold them off until I can devote more time to it.
Not originally what I planned, but priorities change.  I'm still not ready to get rid of it though.  The 302 will go away eventually.:evilgrin:

Next project after the engine stuff is getting the brakes working, then after that the windshield/rust.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #175
I would of never noticed the 3G. It looks like it's been there the whole time.

Are those camber plates?

On a side note, I just seen a Crown Vic with those Cobra Wheels. It looked pretty slick.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #176
Quote from: Ether947;147027
I would of never noticed the 3G. It looks like it's been there the whole time.

Are those camber plates?

On a side note, I just seen a Crown Vic with those Cobra Wheels. It looked pretty slick.

Yeah..I'm not spending too much time cleaning things for under the hood at the moment.  That 3G does blend in nicely :D

Those are some old KB Tbird CC plates.  They are great for street cars.  The extra positive caster (fixed) really improves the front grip.  They were based on the originals I had made up for my car about a year or so prior.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #177
I noticed the alt ;)
One 88

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #178
Quote from: CougarSE;147054
I noticed the alt ;)

I figured you might ;)

Another thing I've thought about doing once it's up and running and some of the cobwebs are knocked out is to convert it to EFI.  Well CFI.  I figure the 5.0 CFI TB I have, the DuraSpark dist, an inline fuel pump, a couple sensors and a low-end MegaSquirt unit will get the job done, and done cheaply.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #179
Will a DS dizzy work with CFI. I always thought you needed a TFI style.