Skip to main content
Topic: The '80 XR-7... (Read 34777 times) previous topic - next topic

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #180
Quote from: 84 Fila;147115
Will a DS dizzy work with CFI. I always thought you needed a TFI style.

Reread...MEGASQUIRT
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #181
Quote from: Chuck W;147081
I figured you might ;)

Another thing I've thought about doing once it's up and running and some of the cobwebs are knocked out is to convert it to EFI.  Well CFI.  I figure the 5.0 CFI TB I have, the DuraSpark dist, an inline fuel pump, a couple sensors and a low-end MegaSquirt unit will get the job done, and done cheaply.

I didn't read the TB part, I thought it just said CFI. I feel like a retard now.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #182
Well today was the day to bring cars back to life.  I got the '83 running again earlier and I just fired this back up here a short while ago.

I finally picked up some plug wires and got them installed.  I also wired the 3G alternator as well.  Add come coolant to the radiator and turn the key.

After the carb filled back up....vvrrooommm.  It came back to life and idled w/o fuss.  I checked the alternator and it was putting out 14.5V at idle and stayed the same with lights and heater fan on....so that's working ;).

It will now move under it's own power again....it just won't stop yet.  Front brake plumbing (the 12" Vette stuff) is next.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #183
Sa-weeet :D

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #184
busy day today!
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #185
Quote from: gumby;151535
busy day today!

I guess you could say that :p

I need to get that windshield back in before I wind up breaking it :punchballs:

The front brakes will be cheap to do though.  I need one rotor, which I can get for under $30, and the pads are less than $20 at the Zone.  I have adapter fittings and hardline, and I just need one braided line since I already have one.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #186
Well now that you have extra room :D
One 88

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #187
Quote from: CougarSE;151571
Well now that you have extra room :D

Yes, yes I do.

What that means is that I will be able to store the '83 elsewhere this winter for a couple months and perhaps get started on the SHO swap in this ;)

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #188
OK, well things have been hectic and busy and all around screwed up these days, so things are taking a bit to get done.  This weekend I finally finished up the prep work to get the widnshield back in the car.  I blasted, converetd, sealed, primed and painted the area that was rusted previously due to the py install of the windshield at some point in the past.

You can't really tell in the pic, but the white I used does not match what's there, but I'm not concerned at this point about the "pretty" as I can clean around the window later.  I'm hoping to get someone over to reinstall the windshield this next week.  I need to get the that sealed back up so I can get that ed tarp off there and also get to work inside the car as well.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #189
Loooking good
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0L AOD 2.73 :cougarsmily:
1993 F150 XLT 5.8L E4OD 3.55

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #190
Hey Chuck,
I was wondering if you could post a pic of the side of the car?  I think those are the same rims I'm getting for my cougar.

Sam

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #191
Quote from: Sduneman3;172264
Hey Chuck,
I was wondering if you could post a pic of the side of the car?  I think those are the same rims I'm getting for my cougar.

Sam

Look back through the thread....

They are 94-95 Cobra wheels....like what's on my silver car.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #192
OK, because they kinda look like these:

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #193
Ick, no!

Oh..sorry, you're buying those aren't you? :p

The ones on my car are 17"

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #194
Quote from: Chuck W;172411
Ick, no!

Oh..sorry, you're buying those aren't you? :p

The ones on my car are 17"

Well, I'm upgrading my brakes to 95' stang brakes, and those I got for $50 w/tires. 

So....They'll have to work until I can get some 97 or 01 GT rims.