Skip to main content
Topic: The '80 XR-7... (Read 34782 times) previous topic - next topic

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #240
Quote from: thunderjet302;178044
The interior is RED:D

No, the interior is "Bittersweet" ..... ;)
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #241
chuck how do you always find those cobra wheels? I look and look at junkyards, no one has them!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #242
Well aside from the clutch quadrant and the oil for the trans the swap is done.

I buttoned up the last of it today.  Got the starter back in (same starter...), took care of the couple wiring connections and reconnected the driveshaft to the rear (again, the length worked out perfectly).

I was going to get more involved with the Y-pipe and cut out cats or whatever, but looking at it, someone has already gutted all 3 cats...so I just said F-it and just reinstalled it as is. 

daboss...I just find the wheels from private sellers.  The ones on the silver car I bought from a guy I worked with at KB years ago, and I picked up the set for the '80 last year from a guy on turboford for cheap.  I wasn't looking for them for the '80, but the price was right, and they wound up looking pretty good on the car.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #243
ah I guess ill have to look harder, they look sweet on marks
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #244
Well the quadrant showed up today..

Hopefully I'll get some time in the next couple days to get it installed.

It's a Steeda blem I got off ebay for $20.  I already have their adjustable cable, so it will be an easy match.

I can get the Redline MTL from a local racer supply shop, so perhaps by this weekend this thing will be moving under it's own power again.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #245
Well it is now OFFICIALLY a manual trans car.  I got the quadrant in, the cable hooked up and the fluid in the trans.  It moves on its own power again.

It now also officially has a bad fuel pump.  As it was idling I noticed a drip from the front of the engine and looking closer it was coming from the fuel pump.  It looks like the diaphragm has a hole in it as gas was spurting out the vent port.  The car was laboring to idle a bit, so I'm guessing the pressure is down a bit.  At least that will be cheap.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #246
Without reading this whole thread, how long has it been since it moved with its own power?

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #247
Quote from: Chuck W;179223
Well it is now OFFICIALLY a manual trans car.  I got the quadrant in, the cable hooked up and the fluid in the trans.  It moves on its own power again.

It now also officially has a bad fuel pump.  As it was idling I noticed a drip from the front of the engine and looking closer it was coming from the fuel pump.  It looks like the diaphragm has a hole in it as gas was spurting out the vent port.  The car was laboring to idle a bit, so I'm guessing the pressure is down a bit.  At least that will be cheap.

BURN OUT!!!!!

j/k;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #248
Well it was still mobile with the auto, but not very well.  It has yet to go down the road yet though.

It still has NO brakes yet, but it is easier to maneuver it around as a manual.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #249
Do you have any plans on new paint or just gonna leave it for a while?

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #250
I still need to find some replacement body panels before I worry about paint.  Nothing I find pans out.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #251
you must be itching to drive it by now

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #252
I may be able to help you with that when I get home to Michigan. We will see.  A friend of a friend you know....

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #253
Well it was a busy weekend but I was able to take a couple hours to work on getting the driver seat mounted in the car.

The adapter bracket was a pain in the butt as the seat mounting bolts were not in any semblance of order. 

The pass one looks to be even more difficult as I think one of the mounting locations on the seat is angled(?!?). 

The fit is pretty good and it feels about 1" higher than what is in the '83, but it is also a bit taller inside than the 83 and the stock seat brackets are kind of tall.  I didn't add anything more than 1/4" of height to the brackets with the adapters.  I'll clean them up and paint them when I put the carpet in the car.

The Recaros will bolt directly to these rails, so when I get them recovered, it won't take anything to install them.

Still waiting on the fuel pump to show up.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #254
Nice work, Chuck.

For what it's worth, that white '81 Thunderbird is still at my local yard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]