Skip to main content
Topic: Messing around with 3D printing (Read 7165 times) previous topic - next topic

Messing around with 3D printing

Reply #30
shifter would get in the way ;).
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #31
How about a blank panel to snap into the dashboard clock housing?  I just started a thread for ideas on what to use this hole for, but 3d printing a blank panel would turn the clock housing into a project box and the options would be far wider.XXX

Reply #32
Foe, what about making these door handle parts?

If you don't have them, I can measure mine and draw a sketch. This should be easy for you, what do you think?

Reply #33
Center consoles and trim.  Maybe the center piece that houses the seat, mirror and window buttons.  You could change things up a bit and make provisions for extremely thin breakthroughs for lighting of letters and lines and stuff or make it out of a clear chunk of acrylic or whatever.  Then, paint or cover most of it but leave certain features uncovered and light it from underneath or the edges or whatever.  That stuff can have the light source on the edge or somewhere but will radiate evenly throughout.  We have a lot of little clear plastic parts throughout the dash components that do that very thing but on a smaller scale.

The door lock buttons too maybe.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #34
Quote from: Cougars 2 go;420187
...make provisions for extremely thin breakthroughs for lighting of letters and lines and stuff...
It can be done with the original bezel... with a new face plate and some ghetto engineering!
X
Brian Leavitt
86 TC 5-Speed -- MS2x w/COP | 83lb. Injectors| T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller |
------------------------Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Pierburg EBCV @ 20psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear |
87 TC 5-Speed -- Cone Filter | Bypassed BCS | Stock Daily Driver
66 Mustang -- Pertronix Ignition Upgrade | Slow-Mobile

Reply #35
By the way... I love this thread!  Keep up the good work!
Brian Leavitt
86 TC 5-Speed -- MS2x w/COP | 83lb. Injectors| T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller |
------------------------Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Pierburg EBCV @ 20psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear |
87 TC 5-Speed -- Cone Filter | Bypassed BCS | Stock Daily Driver
66 Mustang -- Pertronix Ignition Upgrade | Slow-Mobile

Reply #36
Quote from: BLeavitt23;420190
It can be done with the original bezel... with a new face plate and some ghetto engineering!

How much for one in green (to match the rest)?

Reply #37
Support arm is done...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #38
Hey, can these things create stuff out of wood?

Reply #39
How about making those little interior door handle cups!  Hey, we all need those and they are small enough to churn out with this!

And the power seat recline button shroud that runs along the outboard side of the front seats.  Is that small enough for this printer?

Reply #40
I just realized you are sending files out to Shapeways.  I'll have to go check them out to see what the limits are.

Reply #42
Quote from: Cougars 2 go;420220
I just realized you are sending files out to Shapeways.  I'll have to go check them out to see what the limits are.

I plan to make them separately available for download, but I didn't want to do that until I can verify that everything is correct. Once I have a complete cupholder from Shapeways using all printed parts I can be sure of that. I'll make the ones that I've verified so far public on their site.

I just finished the internal left and right guide pieces and ordered a set. I altered the design in an attempt to make it more robust. The last part to model is the sleeve itself, which won't be cheap to print.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #43
I got a few more pieces and they were close enough that I made the revised models available on Shapeways. The only piece I have left to model is the sleeve itself. I made some mistakes on my bezel model so I'm waiting for the revised one to arrive in the mail before I can sign off on it. The tray, support arm, pin holder, and inner guides are all A-ok, though.

The inner guides take thin metal strips as springs; the idea is that they push up on the tray sides to give some tension. Just about anything a little stiff will do, though. In this pic I gave clear plastic strips cut from plastic packaging a try and they work fine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #44
you need a reprap or a makerbot.

you could have built one for what you paid for these peices.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com