Skip to main content
Topic: Messing around with 3D printing (Read 7348 times) previous topic - next topic

Messing around with 3D printing

Reply #60
Quote from: Haystack;431614
Draw one up in a cad file that can be converted to a stl file, send it to my email when your done and ill have my dad print one up. he bought a new printer with a .1mm resolution. out quality has gone up 10x with this printer. if your okay with a bit of sanding and tpuppies, it will look fine painted to match. i can print it out of abs or pla plastic.

I'll add it to my 2055 to-do list. ;) 

I'm behind on 3D printing technology. We've got some old machines at work. I assume the sanding is from the surface roughness and the tpuppies is from the extra gizzlebits from the table-part interface? We've got a nice 3D scanner at work, but I'd rather not go to jail for misusing taxpayer monies.

Reply #61
Quote from: Cougars 2 go;420218
How about making those little interior door handle cups!  Hey, we all need those and they are small enough to churn out with this!

:iagree:
Save a horse, ride a Cougrrr!
1988 Mercury Cougar - 5.0HO, 3G, AOD w/shift kit, 4.10 gears in 8.8, Mass Air, CAI, Pypes X-pipe, Pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, Pypes Violator lers
1997 Ford Mustang GT - stock
2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 4.0 - stock
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis- stock
2008 Ford Escape 4X4 - stock

Reply #62
It prints on a heated sheet of glass. the first layer or two have some squish to help it stick and stay put. ocassionally you get small stringers because the extruder does not use a valve, and finally, the part is the proper shape, or the holes are the correct radius. its nearly impossible to get both. since most holes are easily and simply drilled out rather then filled or cleaned up, we opted for correct part size.

the surfacr is not perfectly flat. fluxuating temps, humidity, and actual size/density of plastic all all factors in printed quality. the surface is smooth enough to write on, but a two second dip in acetone or a bit of sanding/filing.gives you a perfectly smooth finish.

it is after all a 3d printer. imagine squeezing a tube of tooth paste and making a perfect figurine. mechanically, there really isn't much differance. the new .1mm resolution greatly increases build quality, but simply its just because there is less overall thickness so the radius of the squirted plastic is less, and also makes minor imperfections quite a bit less noticeable.

you have to remember this is a home built hobbiest toy. it was built with all thread and smooth rod from home depot riding on skateboard bearings. its amazing what technology is capeable of.

we mainly use ours for custom mounts for model airplanes. you can also make things that are impossible to cast or injection mold, and you can design and modify things on the fly. i prefer to call our rep raps rapid prototype machines rather then a 3d printer.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com