Skip to main content
Topic: Messing around with 3D printing (Read 7344 times) previous topic - next topic

Messing around with 3D printing

I've been playing around with FreeCAD, mainly showing off on the AtariAge forums, but I also decided to try modeling a ThunderCat part. This is my first attempt, the blank panel where the antenna or T/C switches go.

I sent it out to Shapeways to see how well it fits. Once I refine the model, I plan to model all three variants, plus probably one with an extra-wide cutout.

I've tried to make a few design improvements along the way. The screw holes are reduced from 5mm to 4.5mm, and the plastic at the holes is 4mm thick. I've also rounded the insides of the shafts so the flat portion smoothly transitions to the sides. Hopefully these will result in much stronger screw-on points.

When I get the model from Shapeways I'll post pics. I chose the cheapest materal, "white, strong and flexible". I have other things in that material: it appears to be very strong, and it's slightly rougher than the stock plastic (nothing that light sanding wouldn't fix). It wasn't cheap ($75!) but the cost is based purely on volume so the blank version would be the most expensive.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #1
seems like you know a lot more about free cad then I do!

if you were willing to give up the stl file, we could try printing it. it would need tweaked to print on a rep rap.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
I don't mind posting it, but bear in mind that I don't know if the model is correct until I get the part back from Shapeways. Print at your own risk ;)

There's one problem, though. Although the uploader says it takes .zip files, it keeps telling me it's an invalid file and won't let me upload.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #3
well, after importing it, should be within about that .1 mm's, unless you have a different ruler then I do about;). well have to get together for a phone call one day. could be had much cheaper then safways.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
I managed to post it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/e6650twqswcgan6/blank_antenna_panel.zip
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #6
I got the model today and it fits!

The model could use a little tweaking, but even as-is it fits just fine. There's enough slack in the plastic panel behind it that it didn't need to be perfect, but I'll probably tweak the model in the next few days and repost it.

As the pictures show, the layering is evident, so the model would require sanding. The plastic is not completely opaque like ABS, so painting is required if there will be any light behind it (unless you actually want a glow effect...)

I took six pictures, so three more will follow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #7
Three more. I did a test-fit with one screw just as a sanity check. The spacing between the two screw holes was perfect, so I didn't bother testing with both screws.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #8
That's some COOL s@*#t there!! My curiosity is highly peaked :D

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #9
Nice, that's amazing. Little sanding, primer, and some vinyl paint and you are there. How large of a part are they able to print?

Reply #10
Here's what I found on their FAQ:

At the moment the maximum size of any product (also known as maximum build volume) can be 70x38x58cm. The maximum size does depend on the machine and material though.
On our materials page you can check out the different sizes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #11
How many other guys here know anything about 3d modeling?  We've got to get moving on modelling as many of the plastic parts as possible.  Suggestion for next piece: dash speaker grills.

Reply #12
Okay, I admit it...I couldn't wait. Here is a tweaked model that should be right on the nose :D

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qqpnid67fqda983/Blank_Antenna_Panel_v2.zip
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #13
Hmm. Okay, this should be the final one. I had to make the little stops in the middle 0.5mm thicker so the rubber caps will stay on. This should do it...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9bue7nyu531bfph/Blank_Antenna_Panel_v3.zip
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #14
I know a lot about 3d modeling. I use V5 daily. Quietleaf that's a good looking part.