Skip to main content
Topic: Messing around with 3D printing (Read 7342 times) previous topic - next topic

Messing around with 3D printing

Reply #45
For myself, I only want one set, and I don't mind eating some extra cost to get the design right. Once it's done, it's done. What you do with the models is up to you :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #46
It turns out I still didn't have the bezel correct, but now I'm certain that it is. This is what I get for not modeling all parts and performing a virtual test fit. I'm confident enough that I've made all the models available on Shapeways for either download or purchase (they're pricey, I know...feel free to try a reprap or something else). Anyway, it looks good now, and I double-checked the tray travel to make sure that the bezel allows enough room for it to be pushed in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #47
I made this in about an hour. It's up on Shapeways, for anyone interested, and the model is downloadable as usual...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #49
Quote from: Trinom;420928
Well, I meant the piece under the screw, not the screw cover, but it's OK, this piece is usefull too.

if he isnt talking about the chrome 88 only part that holds the screw cap, we need one of those too.

Reply #50
Unfortunately I can only model pieces I have :(

I don't even have the upscale door trim, but I have one each of the '86 and '87 screw cover pieces.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #52
Can you first just post a pic? Ideally, with an 86 or 87 one next to it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #54
Can you post a high-res pic, preferably showing the screw cover as well? That would show me the relative size. Measurements in mm would be great too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #55
I have the 86 style as well, will try to remember next time I make it out to the garage.

Reply #56
I got the remaining pieces in today. Overall, the fit is pretty good, and everything works. I made a couple of minor tweaks to the models on Shapeways to make it all a little easier:

1. Made the screw mounts on the bezel a little smaller to make it compatible with existing cupholder sleeves (and made the corresponding holes in the sleeve smaller).

2. Enlarged the screw hole at the back of the sleeve (for mounting the pin holder) to make it easier to put a screw in.

3. Added a little tab to retain the spring on its holding pin to keep it from coming off (for the existing model, just use a spring that is a little tight or add a drop of glue to hold it on).

4. Moved the pin holes on the tray down 0.5mm to try to make it compatible with existing arm pieces.

5. Widened the wedge-shaped guide at the top of the sleeve by 2mm for a better fit with the small guide pins at the top of the tray.

6. Pulled the retention hooks on the inner guide pieces in by 0.5mm for a tighter fit.

7. Rounded two edges on the bezel mounting points to make it compatible with existing sleeves.

One thing I noticed is that since the spring is off-center, it causes the tray to turn just a little, as seen here with the bezel. I'm not sure yet what to do here, but a washer on one the bezel's mounting pins should correct it, I think.

Edit: Change #6 might straighten out the tray when it's under tension.

Edit: Here is a pic with an existing sleeve. I scrounged up a couple of aluminum PC screws and trimmed the bezel with a Swiss Army knife for changes #1 and #7 above, and put it all together. I'm very happy with the fit; it's nearly perfect.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #57
Nice!!

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #58
Please make me a pair of side view mirror interior trim pieces with a tweeter insert pointed at my face. kthxbai! :hick:

Reply #59
Draw one up in a cad file that can be converted to a stl file, send it to my email when your done and ill have my dad print one up. he bought a new printer with a .1mm resolution. out quality has gone up 10x with this printer. if your okay with a bit of sanding and tpuppies, it will look fine painted to match. i can print it out of abs or pla plastic.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com