Skip to main content
Topic: 88 TC- V8 swap (Read 7902 times) previous topic - next topic

88 TC- V8 swap

Since I did not see a new members section, then I'll just post it here.

I bought my 1st TC on 4/12/12. I've had fox mustangs in the past, 5 to be exact, and now a Thunderbird TC. I had no idea how quick the 2.3t was until now. I bought this TC for parts. I was going to swap everything into a 87 T-top mustang I had planned on buying. Good thing I went to see the Tbird before the mustang. It was sitting under a tree covered in pollen and leaves. It had not been driven in over a year. And in the previous 4 years it was only taken out about twice a year.
Towed it home gave her a bath, and BAM! She shined better than any mustang I've ever owned. Jumped it and started right up. I didn't expect the engine to run so smoothly,  with the odometer at 199,000. Did a tune-up, changed all the fluids, got the tags updated, and just today I recharged the a/c. Oh I also removed the purple bubbly tint, and wing is off too. So it is my DD. Such a relief to finally save money on gas, I was spending about 150 a week on fuel. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #1
Nice looking Bird. How's the interior? Those wheels look just right with the black car. Looks kind of sinister. LOL. When you removed the spoiler, how did you tend to the holes?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #2
Nice car! They are a ton of fun!
...and there was light!

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #3
Welcome to the forum.  Looks like you scored a very nice Turbo Coupe.  I agree with removing the spoiler, these cars look best that way.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird;388292
Nice looking Bird. How's the interior? Those wheels look just right with the black car. Looks kind of sinister. LOL. When you removed the spoiler, how did you tend to the holes?

The interior ain't bad. It's red.  The driver seat and rear seat need to be re-upholstered, which I plan on doing. Dash is cracked but that's it. I'll post a pic tomorrow. As for the holes, the are still exposed. I've been to autozone, oreilly, and advance auto parts looking for some rubber grommets. Just a quick fix till I take it to a shop to get them filled in.

Quote from: 50tbrd88;388300
Welcome to the forum.  Looks like you scored a very nice Turbo Coupe.  I agree with removing the spoiler, these cars look best that way.

The spoiler is from a fiero, I hated it from the moment I saw it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #6
Welcome....

Nice Bird
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #7
Nice score!  welcome to the forum
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #8
Lowe's also has rubber grommets. Again, nice car.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #9
I used white silicone caulk on the holes on my vert....almost can't even notice
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #10
Nice Bird! Glad you decided to keep it. I like spoilers on our cars but the fiero ones are way to big. Welcome to the forum! It's a great place!

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #11
I'll add my welcome too!  Very nice car!  Thanks for sharing.

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #12
Great ride, welcome to the fun......

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #13
welcome, looks fantastic in black.