Skip to main content
Topic: 88 TC- V8 swap (Read 7903 times) previous topic - next topic

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #45
I'm just going to convert to HO, it appears to be easier. The donor has the digital cluster, but I want to keep it buttstuffog. Will I have to cut and splice wires in order to keep it?

Which other wiring harnesses need to be swapped? Any tips or heads up on what to look out for before I start will be greatly appreciated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #46
The cluster could care less what engine is in the car, just use the senders on the 2.3 for the 5.0 and it will work fine... Only issue is the tach will need to be recal'd(will read double), there is a article I did on Cool Cats on how to do the mod...

There will be wiring necessary to marry the 5.0 engine harness to the TC body harness(nothing is going to just plug in), there is a article here on the board of the needed changes for the swap... For mine I mostly mad adapter harness from the 2.3 engine harness plugs and body harness plugs from the 5.0 Bird...

If you are electrically challenged better hope a buddy can wire it up for beer, cause the wiring by far is the most complicated portion of the swap...

The 4th post in this thread has info for most all the changes that is necessary...

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?1218-turbocoupe-5.0-swap

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #47
UPDATE!

I think I have fixed the TC, so it will stay a 4 cylinder for now.

As for the 5.0 parts car, I gave it a 30 dollar paint job. So it is now satin black. It looks better than before.
I threw on the 17x9 03 cobras, but the fronts rub against the strut. But why? What strut can eliminate this problem?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #48
A set of the 93 style mustang spindles should fix that. They also allow you to run larger 11" mustang front brakes.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.