Skip to main content
Topic: My 87 LX (Read 82221 times) previous topic - next topic

My 87 LX

Reply #195
I like it!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

My 87 LX

Reply #196
It looks good man!! I've been trying to figure out how to make a ducktail for my Bird. I've been wanting to make a sheetmetal one, just havent had the time to form one and test fit it.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

My 87 LX

Reply #198
has some great potential.
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

My 87 LX

Reply #199
Ive always wondered what it would take to make one of those work. Looks awesome man! Just dont think the Cougars trunk would take well to it.

Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;391500
Well I hit a crossroads. Im broke and I want to work on the car still. I had a junk spoiler laying around that Ive had for a good long while now. Well I cut it up and realized that it wouldnt work the way I had Intended it to. So I thought to my self.... Ill take a few bones and a tape measure aon a few tools to my local take a part.

I scoured that lot looking for a wing, hell even a feather would have worked! I ran down the lines looking for somthing that caught my eye... nothing. I hit the GM line and BAM I saw a late 80's camaro sitting there with its little ducktail style spoiler went a measured it out and it was a couple inches off no big deal ya know. So I bought it!

I paid, and went straight home to see how far my measurements were off. Well I tell ya, I took 1/4 inch off of each side of the main piece. Set it on the trunk lid and it fit so perfect it was unreal. The the side peices came into play. Well I had top shave them down quite a bit but nothing horrific. drilled some holes in the side of the bird (that was killing me to do) and everything lines up quite nice.

Ive always been a HUGE fan of the FMS ducktail wing but theyre becomming more and more scarce and I knew if I found one it was going to literally murder my wallet. So I figure for $15 bux I'd give it a try.

I still have some tpuppies to do to get everything fitting just right, hell its just held on there with frog tape at the moment anyway. But Im really liking the way it looks, Just a little subtle touch to the tail of my car. Now I know my accent color when shes all painted up nice its going to be satin black.

Whatcha'll think?
1986 Cougar LS

My 87 LX

Reply #200
thanks guys! I just got done laying some 'glass. Letting it dry real nice. I did run into a huge problem though. I guess I left the main spoiler piece in a very unsafe spot. I opened up the garage today after work and saw my spoiler laying in 2 pieces. somebeach... Oh well. It wasnt a real big deal just glassed it back together. But the side pieces are comming along nicely. IM glassing in the really big gaps which were only on the underside of the pieces where the QP meets the trunk unseen from the untrained eye but totally irritating to me!

I did get the winglets formed to the wing mounted on the new decklid.. That is a huge plus side. Everything fits really well. Its going to be on the car and glazed soon as I can get there.

The only part about this whole endeavor thats going to bother me the most is where the ends of the spoiler were capped off so to speak I have it so tight fitting that I cant possibly glass them shut. But oh well It'll be shut 99% of the time anyway so anybody who looks too close needs to back away anyway.

Soon as I get some more work done Ill take some pictars.

My 87 LX

Reply #201
You can close the ends...just remove a small amount of material from the ends of the spoiler where it's open, then add some fiberglass to seal it shut. If you're going through all the effort to install it, go that little extra mile and finish it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My 87 LX

Reply #202
I was thinking of getting some thin aluminum and doing it that way. so I know the ends are flat for sure.

Went a little pic crazy but you get the idea

My 87 LX

Reply #203
That's awesome. I really do like that. A little more fine tuning, and you're there. Great work. I wonder if the Sport would want one. I'll ask her.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My 87 LX

Reply #204
Thankya! just to think... I used a mullet mobile part and made somthing cool. I tell ya the hardest part of all of it was drilling holes in the quarters to mount the winglets

My 87 LX

Reply #205
Small update. I started working on the hood a little more. I finished welding up the vital areas and glassed it in so it would be smooth. Ive got a long way to go still but the hood is taking shape now. Ill be a little happier when the hood is done, blocked, primered and ready to bolt on. I think the majority of the body work to do to this thing are a few rinky  things here and there. the lower quarters need some attention and the doors need some time in them but aside from all that the rest of the body work to be done is minimal. I cant wait til it is able to be bolted together for a final fit. then worry about the little stuff.

My 87 LX

Reply #206
Well I got to sanding down the glass I layed and got to looking at the hood. I stood back and realized that I will have way to much time in this hood making it perfect. and it weighs a TON!. I kinda pushed it off to one side so If I get bored I can come back to it. I still have another plain jane TC hood if it comes down to it. But I also had another hood somewhat made up just incase I changed my mind.... Well... I think I did.

Stock hood with a factory C9 '69 mustang/torino short boss scoop. Simple, and clean. I even have the factory turn signal lights for the back of it.

My 87 LX

Reply #207
I wonder how a scoop from an early '80'sMustang would look...one of the larger, rear facing GT scoops. Of course, turned around so it'd look "right".

Mad props on the 'Maro ducktail. I'd definitely do that to mine, it's different, and fresh, and I dig it. :)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

My 87 LX

Reply #208
you know I was thinking about that myself. Theres a kid in town with a 83 or 84 stang with the 3" tall wide scoop. I was kind of pondering what that would look like on the bird. I dunno though. Im always changing my mind on the hood lol. Its one of the parts I'll be seeing the most.

Thanks If you want some info on the ducktail just lemme know. It took some tricks but other than that it was really easy

My 87 LX

Reply #209
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;391865
I wonder how a scoop from an early '80'sMustang would look...one of the larger, rear facing GT scoops. Of course, turned around so it'd look "right".. :)

It would look like this :)  (not intended as a hijack )
Fox-less at the moment