Skip to main content
Topic: My 87 LX (Read 82224 times) previous topic - next topic

My 87 LX

Reply #165
doughnut skinnies! lol it looks pretty good so far, minus the waviness.. shouldn't take much to get her in shape, though
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

My 87 LX

Reply #166
Nah. I just gotta get around to doing the rest of the welding, shape the rearmost portions and glass it after I cut a BFH in the underside so it'll be functional.

Ontop of having to pull the dash, do the heater core and dye the dash cause the bottom gray half or what is sposed to be gray is all sorts of other colors than gray.

Im hoping to get the body back together soon as I tie up some loose ends with it as far as mechanics go. I might have her in paint by next year. but thats next year and this is now. haha.

My 87 LX

Reply #167

Well... the heater core is getting changed. and so is some of my oh so wonderful rats nest of a wiring harness. I started to take the dash out and realized how BAD I used to be at wiring. from the multiple radios, to the sport cluster swap. even my new gauges were a bit of a hack job. I found a ton of open wires and decided well, the dash is out time to widdle away the unneccesary garbage and possibly re-wire my recent wirings. I seem to have a ton of wires going in so many useless places.

I guess ive grown out of my teenage hackjobs. everything else on the car has been nit picked by me and done, redone, and redone and redone. its time to finish it right.

My 87 LX

Reply #168
Anybody have a evtm or somthing along the lines of WHAT to cut out of this mess? like speaker wiring, ecu related things I dont have anymore. I dont wanna cut out anything vital but I also dont want the extra

My 87 LX

Reply #169
I have a evtm for 87 and 88, I'm finishing up the rewiring of my car for race only trim. I still use EFI, P/W , P/M and the lights.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

My 87 LX

Reply #170
I took some pics of the work in progress, now I need to post them when I get home and get a chance.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

My 87 LX

Reply #171
87 T-BIRD, that'd be awesome. all Im looking to trim out is the non essentials.

But I fianlly got the interior all cleaned out and all the years of dust debris and rust cleaned out and chipped 99% of the factory sound deadener out and undercoated the entire floor section after a nice heavy coat of self-etch primer.

And I dyed my dash. The interior is going to be black and grey more black than gray of course.

My 87 LX

Reply #172
What did you spray the dash with?  was there any other prep work, or just clean and spray? Just curious because I have been thinking about doing the same to mine for a while now, just haven't got the courage to try it yet
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

My 87 LX

Reply #173
I did get some pics uploaded in another thread( point of no return thread) but for some reason not all of the pics will upload. By looks of the pics you are still using the EFI, is that correct? I will try to take some pics of the wiring diagrams and upload them, if it doesn't work, I will give you the wire colors.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

My 87 LX

Reply #174
87thunderbirdblackjack, I was able to take pics of my evtm diag and load it on my computer, would you like me to send it to your email address? These pics are of the radio diag. let me know what you are doing with EFI and I can take pics of that also.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

My 87 LX

Reply #175
87 T-BIRD you have a PM.

Sinista Chicken- I went over the dash really throughly with alcohol and a lint free rag. After the alcohol dried up I hit it with a few light coats of adhesion promoter enough that when the final product was done it had a white somewhat chalky look to it. and finally I hit it with several light coats of duplicolor vinyl dye. all of which can be had at your local autoparts store.

No pics of todays progress, but I got the carpet home from storage shook it out really nice and pulled the garbage off of the back side, now.... ya'll say chipping the sound deadener off the floor was a PITA.... That was a cakewalk compared to the jute pad on the carpet. But I got the carpet settled into the car and got a couple nice coats of dye on it.

My 87 LX

Reply #176
Is your whole dash vinyl?  Mine prob different because it's an '80, but only the dash pad is vinyl, the rest is plastic.  Does that vinyl dye work on plastic also? I've never used the stuff before.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

My 87 LX

Reply #177
Yeah it worked really nice on the heater vents and all that jazz.

My 87 LX

Reply #178
I must ask how good the finish was on your dash after you sprayed it...i'm nervous to even buy the door handle cups i need because I haven't had good luck with painting pieces...always turns out with little fleks and spots and bumps in the finish.  And I'm nearly done getting that ridiculously thick sound deadener out of the floor of my trunk....hopefully new sound deadener is thinner and wont trap moisture liek the old stuff
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 3.8 V6 - Rescue
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 5.0 V8 - Survivor

My 87 LX

Reply #179
My dash turned out fantastic actually.

Its all in the prep work. I wore gloves used a nice clean peice of cardboard to sit everything on, straight isopropyl alcohol on a fresh shop towel and scrubbed everything off, let it dry real nice. Hit it all with several thin coats of adhesion promoter let it tack up real nice and hit it with duplicolor vinyl dye. The dash isnt that bad its mainly places that have had years of almost constant contact with the driver like armrests and stuff that have built up a oily residue from the sweat and oils in the skin yadda yadda... college training is comming out of me now... Most importantly is flash time and dry time and light coats. Ill admit back when I first started using spray paint I ALWAYS jumped the gun with it. I hammered on the paint. and then D.A. here went back 15 min. later and touched it....

prep it, shoot it, flash, re-shoot, flash, re-shoot, flash, re-shoot. and walk away for a few hrs.