Skip to main content
Topic: Show your engine now !!!!! (Read 131446 times) previous topic - next topic

Show your engine now !!!!!

Reply #450
Thanks, it's a 302.  I don't think I'd ever care to build a 347. 331, maybe.  The next one, though, is going to be a FRPP Boss block at 4.125 with a 4.000 stroke.  5 or 6 years, maybe more.  My first goal for this one is 345 horse at the crank, and then maybe next yer I'll do a head swap and some PCM/fuel system work to try to get 420 N/A at under 7000 rpm.  Someone told me I couldn't, so that became the plan.

Reply #451
345hp should be easy enough. I've got about 350hp in my Thunderbird. It's all in the heads. A good set of aluminum heads will get you to 345hp easy.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #452
Rear wheel hp???
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #453
At the flywheel.

First set of heads will likely be Y303 GT40 heads, just because I've got a guy who will sell me a pair of assembled units, that are still NIB for $800. Aluminum, 1.94/1.54 165cc.

Reply #454
That is what i thought. I built a 347 some while back and accomplished 360 Wheel HP on a MUSTANG. So 300 would be around where a 302 would fall. But back to the paint. We never do it any more and when we did we used GLYPTOL ONLY. It is a paint that you use to insulate electric motors. RED in color and worked. But peel off is always a danger. Especially if the oil gets contaminated with fuel. Well to late now i guess. Good luck!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #455
Tom what engine was in your first photo?  Cross bolted mains look mighty LS to me.  I see too many of those bottom ends at work.  As for painting the valley Ive heard that it allows the oil a slick path back to the pan.  Ill pass only for fear of it flaking off.  Ill ask my neighbor he owns the local machine shop, see what his take on it is.
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

Reply #456
My 83 birds engine hope the pic loads d

Reply #457
Lol

My engine 83 bird

Reply #458
XXX

Reply #459
There it goes its my new build ... Trickflow heads 1.72 rockers,steeda 18 cam, probe pistons, all arp hardware, long tubes , holley carb ,

Reply #460
Worthy of a calendar inclusion.  Where did you get those plug wires?

Reply #461
Clean looking motor

Reply #462
Thanks a lot I think I got wires from Latemodel resto

Reply #463
Moving along...

Decided to drop the distributor now rather than later.  Last time I kind of had a problem with the pump drive (which is how I came to this project in the first place), so I decided to get after it with the front cover off so I could be sure it went together smoothly.  Now I'm waiting on my head studs and gaskets while I stash away enough bank for some heads.  I hope to have it lit off for the first time by June 1.

XX

Reply #464
Looks good :).

What was the problem with the pump drive engagement? I popped distributors off and back on without issue engaging the pump drive.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.