Skip to main content
Topic: Aod swap (Read 4082 times) previous topic - next topic

Aod swap

I just separated the AOD from the 3.8 to use with my 5.0. Is the converter usable? or do I need one for a 5.0 .
I also have a flywheel from my C6 that bolts to a 5.0 and matches up to the flywheel of the 3.8. ( except for the motor bolt holes) Is this usable with my AOD? If not, what do I need to use my 3.8 AOD with my new 5.0?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Aod swap

Reply #1
You need the trans. I have. Not sure about the FW, but I have one from mine if you need it.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Aod swap

Reply #2
That trans won't last too long behind your combo jerry.
One out of an sc would be a better bet.
The convertor will be too tight as well,you'll want something more in the 2400-3000 range.

Aod swap

Reply #3
Well my GT40 5.0 blew up a stock V8 AOD. If you're using GT40 heads/intake on your car there is a good chance you'll kill the V6 AOD faster than I killed my V8 AOD :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Aod swap

Reply #4
Quote from: dominator;314907
That trans won't last too long behind your combo jerry.
One out of an sc would be a better bet.
The convertor will be too tight as well,you'll want something more in the 2400-3000 range.

The V6 converter is actually SLIGHTLY looser than the stock 5.0 converter from what I understand, but it aint gonna be near enough.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Aod swap

Reply #5
Quote from: V8Demon;314935
The V6 converter is actually SLIGHTLY looser than the stock 5.0 converter from what I understand, but it aint gonna be near enough.

yes the V6 converter has a higher stall, I'm not sure how much, but behind a 5.o ho I noticed the difference when I went from a V6 converter to a V8 converter.

The Converter out of a Mark VII has the highest stall out of them all.
FORD The Pacemaker of a CHEVY

Aod swap

Reply #6
You still need mine, I guess nobody got the answer you asked, I'm not sure. Do the teeth line up, same amount?, and all the holes line up?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Aod swap

Reply #7
Quote from: Kitz Kat;314954
You still need mine, I guess nobody got the answer you asked, I'm not sure. Do the teeth line up, same amount?, and all the holes line up?

You still have to check the balance weight.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Aod swap

Reply #8
Quote from: V8Demon;314958
You still have to check the balance weight.....

I thought of that to, but it came from a 302, I didn't want to confuse him more. Maybe I should.

Aod swap

Reply #9
Bye the way not many C6's were bolted to 302's. Maybe you should use it? With that big shifter, You may have to redo that console though! lol.

Aod swap

Reply #10
would it make sense to use the C6 for now? It seems to be the consensus that I will kill the 3.8 aod.
I'm not even planning on cruising the 87, now that I got the vert for that. the 87 will be possibly show only, and probably a couple runs at the track. (maybe) if I even let it out of the garage. lol

The speed limit on this island is only 45, and I don't plan on leaving it with the 87 unless its on a trailer anyway.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Aod swap

Reply #11
That c6 is a tough trans, and it will break the speed limit.
But you still need mine for originality.lol, I think I just unsold a tranny.

Aod swap

Reply #12
ok, let's hear it.....Aod from a 3.8, or C6? I'll need something, and I already have both, including the shortened DS for the C6, and mount for it.

This doesn't have to be permanent setup for the car, but with all the rebuilding and upgrades, another Aod is going to cost more then I want to spend this year with a motor rebuild happening.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Aod swap

Reply #13
What can I say. Go for it!!

Aod swap

Reply #14
Still say for the money it is going to cost you to get a custom driveshaft for the c6 and loosing od, you should try to find an aod out of a supercoupe.
They were the strongest of the aod's and handled 300+lbs feet of torque out of the box.
Go on sccoa and put up a wanted add in your area,you'll definetley find one for cheap and it will bolt right up.