Skip to main content
Topic: Back in an '80 XR-7 (Read 23170 times) previous topic - next topic

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #45
Quote from: rancheronut;307385
you right! i don't under stand. why all the work for just SHO V-6, when you could use the SHO V-8! now that would be worth all the time and money your plan on spending.

Numbers:
3.0 V6
HP 220 @6200 RPM
TQ 200 @4800 RPM

3.4 V8
HP 235 @6100 RPM
TQ 230 @4800 RPM

Yeah, it's 15 more ponies, and 30 more pound-feet, but also the cam sprockets of the 3.4 are more pr0ne to breakage...and the engine is less common.

And, Chuck isn't one of those guys who gets a hard-on when someone says "V8"...;)

Parting shot: Knowing only a little about Chuck's other cars...I doubt it will be long before it has some form of power adder lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #46
Quote from: rancheronut;307385
you right! i don't under stand. why all the work for just SHO V-6, when you could use the SHO V-8! now that would be worth all the time and money your plan on spending.

Who said a SHO V8 wouldn't be a good plan either?

Seeing as I already have 2 V6's sitting here, and the work to bolt the trans up 80% done, seems like of logical to me.  I'm also not as big of a fan of the later V8 engine as I am the V6.

Oh, and I NEVER spend a lot of money on my projects. ;)
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #47
I've had both the SHO V6 and V8 and I will attest to the mod-ability of the V6 over the V8 anyday of the week. The V8 had a great sound but the V6 was bar none the most badass V6 I have driven up to this day. Well I take that back I have driven the EcoBoost 3.5 so I feel like an idiot here but the 3.2/3.0 SHO V6 is a much better performer than the 3.4 Duratec/Yamaha abortion that was the V8.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #48
Quote from: Chuck W;307393
Who said a SHO V8 wouldn't be a good plan either?

Seeing as I already have 2 V6's sitting here, and the work to bolt the trans up 80% done, seems like of logical to me.  I'm also not as big of a fan of the later V8 engine as I am the V6.

Oh, and I NEVER spend a lot of money on my projects. ;)

don't get me wrong . i love the idea of walking to different drum.
 you say the V-6 are just laying around. I'm sure they didn't just walk in on there own CV axle's and say i pick this spot  to lay.  so I'm thinking, you do have some money tied up there and your talking about using modular, microprocessor-controlled power distribution system
http://www.isispower.com/
 I'm thinking there not cheap too.
 then, as I know one thing Is! time IS money. right? so all the time your spending looking are making one off stuff  to work, has to account for something. it not like your doing it for therapy, like I do.
I'm not knocking your idea! I'm  JUST trying to under stand, why all this effort / time and money for a V6.
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #49
Quote from: rancheronut;307495
don't get me wrong . i love the idea of walking to different drum.
 you say the V-6 are just laying around. I'm sure they didn't just walk in on there own CV axle's and say i pick this spot  to lay.  so I'm thinking, you do have some money tied up there and your talking about using modular, microprocessor-controlled power distribution system
 then, as I know one thing Is! time IS money. right? so all the time your spending looking are making one off stuff  to work, has to account for something. it not like your doing it for therapy, like I do.
I'm not knocking your idea! I'm  JUST trying to under stand, why all this effort / time and money for a V6.

Don't try and understand. 

I'm not going to toss 351 (or worse a 5.0) in there, and as I said, the V8 SHO is not as good a motor as the V6.  I've had the engines for a while now and didn't spend much for them.
The ISIS stuff is just an idea.  It's neat, and the wiring in these cars is old.

For me this is therapy, I build what I want how I want, and ed to everyone else's opinion on the matter.  It's my outlet for the oddball things in my head.  This is for me and for me only.  If other people like it, all the better I suppose, but it's not my goal to please other people.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #50
Um this is a bit off topic but what's up with the '83 TC?;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #51
Quote from: thunderjet302;307501
Um this is a bit off topic but what's up with the '83 TC?;)

In the garage, looking pretty, waiting for me to install the big intercooler, bigger injectors and get around to installing the new rear suspension.  I'll update it when I get to work on it ;)

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #52
Quote from: Chuck W;307500

what ever
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #53
Quote from: rancheronut;307512
what ever

Dude drop it.  Its not for you to "understand".  :flame:Think about how you feel about V6's...that's how Chuck feels about V8's.  Most car guys would say "why the hell would you build an '80 Cougar", but no one around here has even mentioned that yet.  I think that says alot about all of us and our involvement with these cars...obviously we like to do thinks different or else we would all be driving Mustangs with 5.0's.  Talk about snoreville...I don't know about you but its refreshing to see something different every once in awhile. 

Chuck I think what you are doing is rad.  What are your plans for the exterior treatment and suspension?  Are you keeping it stock looking or do you have something sneaky planned?  Fu*& the naysayers, keep the updates coming man!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #54
Quote from: Chuck W;307500

For me this is therapy, I build what I want how I want, and ed to everyone else's opinion on the matter.  It's my outlet for the oddball things in my head.  This is for me and for me only.  If other people like it, all the better I suppose, but it's not my goal to please other people.

Kudos to you for doing what you feel you want to do! There is no wrong or right. There is no protocol that has to be followed.

I put a late model Mustang dash in my Tbird and swapped on a Cougar nose... I wanted to be different... I want my Tbird to be personally mine...

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #55
Quote from: Chuck W;307377
It's a modular, microprocessor-controlled power distribution system

If you want to find people with experiance on the ISIS system, head over to Lateral-g.net there have been several installs of the system by members there.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #56
Oh, and I LOVE the project!

I've been dreaming lately of de-bodying an MN-12 'bird and re-bodying it with a '52-'54 Ford 2 door sedan. My biggest problem is that I would like a modern inline 6 cylinder as power, and the only ones I know of are either import or GM.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #57
Quote from: rancheronut;307512
what ever

That wasn't a snap.  Just didn't feel I needed to try and justify myself.  I don't ask you to explain why you do what you do.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #58
Quote from: ProTouring442;307547
If you want to find people with experiance on the ISIS system, head over to Lateral-g.net there have been several installs of the system by members there.

Cool, I'll look into that. 

The ISIS stuff is just an idea, but it's pretty intriguing to me.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #59
Quote from: rancheronut;307495
 you say the V-6 are just laying around. I'm sure they didn't just walk in on there own CV axle's and say i pick this spot  to lay.  so I'm thinking, you do have some money tied up there
and your talking about using modular, microprocessor-controlled power distribution system
time IS money. right? so all the time your spending looking are making one off stuff  to work, has to account for something.
I'm  JUST trying to under stand, why all this effort / time and money for a V6.
what ever
dude, you sound like my ex-fiance.

you cannot apply logic to a car hobby. everytime someone tries to do so, it kills the joy for someone. in her case, as well as yours currently, you are gonna be left confused. there is no understanding someone elses tastes in mods, or agreeing with every choice they make for a car build. thankfully, even though my wife doesnt always agree with me, she realizes she doesnt need to understand my reasoning; only understand that this is what i enjoy.

IMO, you would be better off taking a cue from my wife rather than attempt to justify someone elses decisions in this hobby:shakeass:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!