Skip to main content
Topic: Back in an '80 XR-7 (Read 23166 times) previous topic - next topic

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #75
Quote from: Chuck W;307505
In the garage, looking pretty, waiting for me to install the big intercooler, bigger injectors and get around to installing the new rear suspension.  I'll update it when I get to work on it ;)

So it's sitting till spring like my 88 then:D

Do you need any body parts for this XR7? A guy in the T-bird club might have some extra 80-82 T-bird parts floating around. I can ask if you want.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #76
I think the only thing the SHO V8 did well was sound good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvvCV-xQh5s
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #77
Quote from: thunderjet302;308061
So it's sitting till spring like my 88 then:D

Do you need any body parts for this XR7? A guy in the T-bird club might have some extra 80-82 T-bird parts floating around. I can ask if you want.

I've got a "want list" in the classified section.  If he has any of the stuff listed there, that would be great.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #78
Quote from: DVP;307945
Second gen was just fine.

89-91 Gen I 3.0 V6 MTX
92-92 Gen II 3.0 V6 MTX
93-95 Gen II 3.0 V6 MTX / 3.2 V6 ATX
96-99 Gen III 3.4 V8 ATX

Parts are more expensive. Still easy enough to find. I would line up with any stock car at any speed from the same era and my 180000 Taurus would hold its own. These motors are something you have to experience to appreciate them for what they are. Different isnt cheap all the time.

I was thinking "1st" and "2nd" gen as in first, more blocky looking taurus and then taurus that looks like a jellybean. :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #79
Yeah the Gen III did look pretty odd, especially the SHO's with that odd spoiler...

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #80
Well I had a little bit of time this weekend to work on the car.  Nothing picture-worthy, but definitely something vent-worthy.

I HATE it when people half-ass stuff.  Messing with the car this weekend, I was poking around the carb area.  I knew the PO had swapped some Holley 2bbl in place of the stock one, but what I didn't know was that they'd swapped one with no provision for the auto trans kickdown rod to attach.  Being a C4, the car will still move and shift, but will have no downshift ability for accel or passing.  Idiots.
So, if I want to be able to tool around in this thing before/during the engine swap, I'll need to rebuild the original carb and reinstall it.

I took care if the battery cable issues and swapped pads and bled the front brakes.  Pedal feels better, so I just need time to get to the rears.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #81
There are times when you can "temporarily fix" things but I cant understand people that do that for major driveablility issues. Soooo stupid. And then you get to deal with it. :mad:

Im sure you "just wanna drive it" and see what it's like!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #82
Being a C4, the car will still move and shift, but will have no downshift ability for accel or passing. Idiots.

-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #83
Go Chuck go.  A long time in the making, bet its nice to have a solid foundation now.

Seems as if the thread shiznitting is just as bad around here as always.  *sigh*
One 88

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #84
Wow!  Hey Claude!

OK, well I've been kinda busy with welding motor mounts the past couple weeks, so I haven't had too much time to mess with the XR-7.

I did however get around to cleaning and rebuilding the stock carb and just reinstalled it this morning.  Fires right up and runs like a champ.

Need a couple new belts and time to install the rear brake shoes.

Time to get it to the BMV and get the plates taken care of so once the roads finally clear around here, it will be seeing road duty for a bit before I get ready to start the swap process.

Now back to welding motor mounts...

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #85
OK, I got a chance to get the rear brake shoes installed yesterday and the backs bled.  The brakes feel pretty good.  (About as good as the stock system feels anyway).

Today I took it out for a couple mile drive around the neighborhood to see how things are.  It's at least good enough for some light driving duties while I get a couple other things out of the way before I begin the engine mock up.  The exhaust is leaking pretty badly in a couple spots, so it's kind of one of those "how much do I mess with it?" deals.

I'm eyeing a set of 96 Cobra wheels, but I'm not really ready to buy them right now. I'm also still debating though on those or a set of Bullitt-style wheels with black centers.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #86
Chuck, you need to update your sig pics now
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #87
Quote from: daminc;311978
Chuck, you need to update your sig pics now

Yeah, once I get a chance, I'll snap a new pic or two and update the sig.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #88
more 96 cobras? ;)
youre gonna stereotype yourself :deal:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #89
How about 95 cobras instead?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook