Skip to main content
Topic: Back in an '80 XR-7 (Read 23167 times) previous topic - next topic

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #60
OK, well to get past the scrutinization, I'll post up a *little* progress.

I picked up some wheels and tire today that are going to hold me over until I 5-lug the thing. I grabbed a set of snowflakes with tires that have 90% tread, but are just kinda old.  They'll do for the time being.  Still trying to decide on what 5-lug wheels I want.  The car will be sitting low on fat tires like the old car was eventually.

I also pulled down the nasty headliner backer.  ICK.  I figured I better pull that down before I vacuumed the car, since I was going to need to do it again after I did this anyway.  Mouse turds all over.  Fun.

Still need to buy a couple parts to get it roadworthy enough to get to the BMV and to have mobile to tool around in until I get to the engine swap.

Pics for the interested (It was getting dark, so the camera was compensating, thus the pics are a little fuzzy.

Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #61
Nice!

I might just have to look around for one myself.
Those do look different (in a good way) on 'Flakes. I know you said you weren't keeping them though. :D
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #62
Well, they for certain look better than what's on there.  They won't be staying though, long-term.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #63
Those snowflakes actually do look pretty decent on there.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #64
Well, I got a couple goodies in the mail today.

I got my clutch pedal assy that I'm going to need, and I got my 3.0 block plate so I can work on finalizing my adapter.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #65
cool
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #66
Quote from: rancheronut;307888
V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Nice...

You're not dealing with a "juvenile" here though.

Not everyone has to have a V8...deal with it.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #67
Pretty much the sole determinant of MY preference of a V8 over a 6 or anything really is the sound. That's for what I drive though. I LOVE seeing people hot rod them, because no one (read:people like me) does that. As far as I'm concerned that Yamaha V8 is a boat anchor. :rollin: The numbers are higher yes, but the second gen SHO had terrible performance numbers. Im guessing the car was a lot heavier. Still, probably a lot harder to find parts for/mod.

Nothing like seeing what you can get out of something "lesser than". Good to see you found another box cougar Chuck. :D
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #68
Quote from: ZondaC12;307926
Pretty much the sole determinant of MY preference of a V8 over a 6 or anything really is the sound. That's for what I drive though. I LOVE seeing people hot rod them, because no one (read:people like me) does that. As far as I'm concerned that Yamaha V8 is a boat anchor. :rollin: The numbers are higher yes, but the second gen SHO had terrible performance numbers. Im guessing the car was a lot heavier. Still, probably a lot harder to find parts for/mod.

Nothing like seeing what you can get out of something "lesser than". Good to see you found another box cougar Chuck. :D

Second gen was just fine.

89-91 Gen I  3.0 V6 MTX
92-92 Gen II  3.0 V6 MTX
93-95 Gen II  3.0 V6 MTX / 3.2 V6 ATX
96-99 Gen III 3.4 V8 ATX

Parts are more expensive. Still easy enough to find. I would line up with any stock car at any speed from the same era and my 180000 Taurus would hold its own. These motors are something you have to experience to appreciate them for what they are. Different isnt cheap all the time.
1986 Cougar LS

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #69
Quote from: rancheronut;307888
cool

It is.

But...I want to know something...
WTF does this mean: V6 = juvenile delinquency!

You think your shiznit-hot because you have a V8 or something?
Get over it already. Ass.:flame:
'98 Explorer 5.0

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #70
To be honest the SHO V6 sounds amazing with a good exhaust.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #71
OK, I need to start thinking towards a fuel delivery system.

I *may* eventually put a fuel cell in this thing, but for now I guess I need to come up with an option for an in-line, self-priming fuel pump.  I think there are some Bosch (VW) units that could work.  I don't think I'll see the high side of 300hp with this set-up, so I don't need to pump enough fuel to power a top-fueler.

Looking at some pics, I'm wondering if I can make use of an 85-88 tank and just use a 255hp intank pump.  I need to get under the cars and see how things look.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #72
If you need a tank, and an '88 will work, I've got one that's pretty much in my way...though you could find one closer probably for what mine would cost to ship or whatnot. But if you do need it...your's for the shipping or however.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #73
ill toss my hat in this ring again.....ive got a brandy spankin new tank here if you need it. bought it cause i thought i was gonna hafta modify the tank for the IRS. ended up not needing it, sent it to antonio, and got it back when he was cleaning house.

its in the same shed as the teves unit....
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #74
Quote from: gumby;308046
ill toss my hat in this ring again.....ive got a brandy spankin new tank here if you need it. bought it cause i thought i was gonna hafta modify the tank for the IRS. ended up not needing it, sent it to antonio, and got it back when he was cleaning house.

its in the same shed as the teves unit....

I was wondering if you still had that tank. ;)

I may wind up taking both of those off your hands.  Would be much cleaner if I can just use that instead of trying to cobble together something with the '80 tank.