Skip to main content
Topic: Back in an '80 XR-7 (Read 23169 times) previous topic - next topic

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #30
Just imagine that sweet sounding 3.0/3.2 SHO V6 in there. Mmmmmm, what a wonderful engine!

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #31
Need some progress here Chuck... I need a fix for something twisted like a Box SHO beast.
1986 Cougar LS

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #32
Still trying to get my hands on a 3.0 engine plate so I can double-check my dimensions on my adapter plate.
I'm trying to avoid buying new, but some of these Ranger guys who claim to have one are less than diligent about following up.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #33
Cool project Chuck !

Don't see too many of those anymore.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #34
Off Road SHO on SHOForum might be able to help with measurements, might even have a plate for sale.
1986 Cougar LS

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #35
Quote from: DVP;306948
Off Road SHO on SHOForum might be able to help with measurements, might even have a plate for sale.

According to my manual, SHOs did not have a plate. 

I don't want someone else's measurements.  I just want to lock in my own.  My adapter is close, but not quite.  I have a 5.0 plate, but only had SHO blocks for measurements, which is tedious that way w/o elaborate measuring eq.

Like I said, I can get a new one, and may just have to if these guys don't follow up.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #36
Quote from: Chuck W;306958
According to my manual, SHOs did not have a plate. 

I don't want someone else's measurements.  I just want to lock in my own.  My adapter is close, but not quite.  I have a 5.0 plate, but only had SHO blocks for measurements, which is tedious that way w/o elaborate measuring eq.

Like I said, I can get a new one, and may just have to if these guys don't follow up.

He makes adapter plates. He might have what you need laying around. Just another option if it comes down to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoF8FsIcI7o
1986 Cougar LS

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #37
OK, going to trek out this weekend to get some interim wheels/tire (until I go 5-lug).

I have located 3.0 block plate so I can fix my adapter plate.

Going to fix the battery/block grounds this weekend and bleed the brakes so the car is more mobile and can be driven a little.  Probably going to yank the headliner backer and deal with it bare so I can clean the interior of any mousy remnants.

After connecting the misc vac hoses, the 255 runs OK.  I can hop right in it and it'll fire right up, and after a few seconds it will idle along OK on it's own.

I could actually put an engine and trans together sans clutch and flywheel and begin to mess with the fitting of the unit into the car, but I kind of want to wait until the weather takes a slightly nicer turn.  What I may do is pull the 255/C4 and mock up the SHO/T5, and get things sorted for what I'll need to get together (motor mounts, exhaust mods) to get it into the car, then stuff the 255 back in until I'm ready to commence with the full-on swap and not be stuck with an immovable car.  Kind of an extra step, but having a car I can tool around in while I fab and fiddle is much better than one sitting dead blocking my driveway...

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #38
Sounds really cool Chuck, its more than I could think about handling though. 

New and old wiring integration is not a strong suit of mine.  It will be really cool to pop the hood on the old style cougar and see that beautiful SHO intake sitting there.

props to you, sir.

Mike
Mike

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #39
Well, there won't be much integration between old and new wiring.  The engine management will be via MegaSquirt, and the fuel system wiring will be all new since there is no electric pump on the car.

If I get REALLY froggy, I might look into one of the ISIS power systems for it eventually. 

The initial swap is just going to get the engine/trans into the car and I'll go back afterwards to clean up/improve certain things.  The logistics of getting it stuffed in there is the primary hurtle, and I don't want to get bogged down in too many nit-picky details and stall out the primary goal of just getting it in place.  It won't be "hacked", but I'm not going to waste much time initially.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #40
MS, that should make it a little easier.  You gonna use the original gauge cluster?

Not familiar what the ISIS system is??
Mike

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #41
sound like alot of work just to install V-6?
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #42
Quote from: rancheronut;307345

:rollin: Yeah just a V-6...
1986 Cougar LS

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #43
Quote from: mcb82gt;307329
MS, that should make it a little easier.  You gonna use the original gauge cluster?

Not familiar what the ISIS system is??

It's a modular, microprocessor-controlled power distribution system
http://www.isispower.com/

Kinda cool.

The original cluster is eventually going to have to go bye-bye.

Quote from: rancheronut;307345

Quote from: DVP;307346
:rollin: Yeah just a V-6...

Some men you just can't reach.

Yeah, right...I probably should have just bought a Mustang too.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #44
Quote from: Chuck W;307377

Some men you just can't reach.

you right! i don't under stand. why all the work for just SHO V-6, when you could use the SHO V-8! now that would be worth all the time and money your plan on spending.
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!