Skip to main content
Topic: Delete (Read 61502 times) previous topic - next topic

Delete

Reply #300
Quote from: Watchdevil;309992

I am no longer feeling the Cougar nose... I think it will be going away soon.

Whew!

Four-Eyes forever! Actually, I prefer the Mark VII grille to the T-Bird one at first glance, but have never really looked into it.

Also, I love your ability to not ever get matching parts :D (Tan, and Grey, and Blue...)

Just giving you a hard time, great work man!
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Delete

Reply #301
Quote from: jrad235;310003
Whew!

Four-Eyes forever! Actually, I prefer the Mark VII grille to the T-Bird one at first glance, but have never really looked into it.

Also, I love your ability to not ever get matching parts :D (Tan, and Grey, and Blue...)

Just giving you a hard time, great work man!

I love my ability to never find matching parts and when I do they are broken and cracked... LOL! I got so much on the cheap that I could not resist using the parts instead of waiting out for perfect matching ones. This car looks so much like redneck patchwork right now until the interior is color matched and the exterior is refinished.

The Mark VII grille is nice, but that is no direct swap. It requires different fenders which would have non-matching wheel arches as well as a whole different front bumper system. I am almost positive the hood is different too.

Oh yeah, I seen a red lower driver's knee trim at the last trip to the salvage yard but it had broken screw tabs... LOL!

Delete

Reply #302
How easy is it to read the instrument cluster while sitting in the driver's seat?  The stock Mustang cluster is set at more of an angle.  Your cluster looks as if it is almost vertical.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Delete

Reply #303
Quote from: jkirchman;310031
How easy is it to read the instrument cluster while sitting in the driver's seat?  The stock Mustang cluster is set at more of an angle.  Your cluster looks as if it is almost vertical.

The cluster is in the exact same plane vertically as it is installed in a Tbird. The area behind the Mustang cluster trim was exactly big enough to swallow the Tbird cluster without cutting it down. I did have to cut away a small portion of the inside back of the Mustangs dash cluster support so that the speedometer cable could be installed into the back of the cluster. The only other thing I had to do was trim away the depth of the Mustang cluster trimplate at the top inner part to clear the top front of the Tbird cluster. I took the orignal cluster trimplate from the Tbird and trimmed it down so it would fill the areas around each side of the cluster while I added some vinyl to that trimmed down plate at the top to completely close off the curved upper gap at the inside top of the Mustang trimplate.

I bought a second Mustang instrument cluster trim and cut off wiring harness connectors out of a salvaged car just in case I could engineer a way to use a Mustang cluster at a later date. None of the Mustangs I came accross in salvage yards had a cluster in it. eBay has quite a few. I think I would like to eventually use the Mustang cluster simply because it belongs there, but I have a lot of electrical wiring research to do before I can attempt to adapt it. Even at that, I am not certain if the newer Mustang clusters have to be specially flashed or not. The early SN-95's had mechanical odometers but they still use a cable-less speed sensor.

Delete

Reply #304
I installed one of those late model tape decks (from a 99 contour) when my factory radio kicked it.  It plugged right into the factory harness and works great.  I did have to do a little modifying to the bracket to make it work but you wont have that problem.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Delete

Reply #305
Man, that Mustang dash looks great in there!!!! Good Job!!
...and there was light!

Delete

Reply #306
Quote from: 88CougarGT;310078
I installed one of those late model tape decks (from a 99 contour) when my factory radio kicked it.  It plugged right into the factory harness and works great.  I did have to do a little modifying to the bracket to make it work but you wont have that problem.

Ya know the radio I bought was listed as coming from a Contour...  I have the old style plugs so in antition I already have the newer style plugs.

Delete

Reply #307
Quote from: T-BirdX3;310088
Man, that Mustang dash looks great in there!!!! Good Job!!

Thanks! I am absolutely loving it in there and it really fits the rounded character of the AeroBird.

Delete

Reply #308
I have the seat, window and mirror switches you need for your panel, let me kow if you still need them. Looking awesome, I knew the console was going to a good home.
John

Delete

Reply #309
Quote from: hcor;310131
I have the seat, window and mirror switches you need for your panel, let me kow if you still need them. Looking awesome, I knew the console was going to a good home.

I cannot thank you enough! I am also glad I can use the console in it's entirety. I got the rest of the parts I need for it to be complete. I can in fact use a couple of the switches. See your PM!

Delete

Reply #310
Got the radio installed today.  thing has slime green illumination and digital readout. I never thought to ask about that before I bought it. It was only $14 and it works. I gotta get another LF door speaker.

While I was installing the radio, I extended the rear defroster wires over to the left side of the dash where the switch is under the headlamp switch.

Well, here is the little special touch I mentioned I was going to work on. I covered the airbag delete panel with black vinyl and put one of my extra quarter panel Bird emblems on it. It helps that area from looking like a featureless void. The original plan I had was to cut the shape of the Bird emblem out of the panel and use some sort of clear lamp housing and some blue LED's to light it up with the dash illumination. However since I diverted from my plan of using blue LED's for the dash lighting because of the light colors not matching the digital readouts, I decided to go with a regular emblem.

Bottom picture is the Bird covered with the 3" of snow we got which I took through the front window looking out to the driveway. I thought it was really interesting the forms the acspoogeulated snow took against the surfaces of the car. It sorta reminds me of undetailed clay prototypes...

Delete

Reply #311
Quote from: Watchdevil;309953
There are no other vehicles that use a different lever that will accommodate my need. If it starts to bother me too much then I will likely sucspoogeb to a floor shifter conversion and relocate the window and seat switches from the shifter plate location.

I havent followed your whole thread, but would the MGW shifter with rotating handle, fit your needs??
Mike

Delete

Reply #312
Man , you do some really cool work :D
Fox-less at the moment

Delete

Reply #313
Airbag delete cover installed ;)

Delete

Reply #314
It needs a smaller bird on the delete panel you made....or no bird at all.It's a little distracting,and,the Bird looks too old for that dash.It's all about what you like in the long run,and I mean no disrespect at all.I have done a lot of mods in my Sport that may not have been that appealing to everyone.The panel is awesome.Great work with the covering.Nice dash install as well.I'd love to have one of those,but don't have the guts to try it.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..