Skip to main content
Topic: Delete (Read 61504 times) previous topic - next topic

Delete

Reply #315
Man that dash looks awesome!! Keep up the good work!
...and there was light!

Delete

Reply #316
Quote from: vinnietbird;310454
It needs a smaller bird on the delete panel you made....or no bird at all.It's a little distracting,and,the Bird looks too old for that dash.It's all about what you like in the long run,and I mean no disrespect at all.I have done a lot of mods in my Sport that may not have been that appealing to everyone.The panel is awesome.Great work with the covering.Nice dash install as well.I'd love to have one of those,but don't have the guts to try it.LOL.

Hey I appreciate your feedback and I know how it is that everything I like or will try may not appeal to everyone. When I test fitted the panel without anything on it, for me it looked too bare and bland. I really debated whether to use the big honking quarter panel Bird. However that panel is such a large scale that the scale of the bird on it looks balanced to me. A smaller bird would look lost while also putting a smaller bird offset to the right just didn't look right with the sweep of the arch. I also happen to like the old straight edged bird emblems. The problem right now is that it is not in pristine condition because the chrome is dull so it not as good as fresh and crisp as it could look.

Later on, I plan to have all my old "C" pillar emblems re-chromed. I also have pending plans to paint the black inserts of all the Bird emblems blue-green as a throwback to the classic ones that included the turquoise which I like against the black....

I supposed I could have held out for a 2002-05 style Thunderbird script which is also what I would like to use on the decklid after I get the exterior refinished.

One of the biggest challenges of placing the Thunderbird emblem is aligning it so it looks balanced within the shapes it is set in. The Mustang passenger airbag opening is such an irregular assymetrical shape that it absolutely had to be centered correctly for the eye and not exactly centered to the longest length of the panel itself... It also had to be set so that it was not too high because of the domed top center of the panel.

I also like the flushness of the trim panel more closely matching the gauge cluster panel instead of how the Mustang passenger airbag cover is concave which is not consistant to the gauge cluster panel. The dual arch desing of the dash is not exactly symetrical anyway, with the brow over the gauge cluster smaller and more hooded over the gauges while the passenger side is more laid back towards the windshield with a wider arch.

Ford had that same problem placing the Bird emblems on the taillamps of the 1989-97 models because of the trunk opening bisecting the continuity of the taillamp design.

Delete

Reply #317
That looks really cool.
Maybe a TC Steering wheel would blend better with the dash shape/s though?
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Delete

Reply #318
Quote from: Romeo2k;310506
That looks really cool.
Maybe a TC Steering wheel would blend better with the dash shape/s though?

I have done a lot of visual research on figuring out what steering wheels I would like and which ones would install interchangably with the Fox steering column. I settled on the 1979-84 four spoke wheel because I like the Bird emblem on the transluscent centerpiece and the fact that it has four spokes placed where I like them. Nevermind the skinny rim which is skinnier now that I took the worn out original leather wrap off. My plan is to cover that rim with thick padding and leather and stitch it myself, then it will look much better. 

I don't like A frame wheels, or wheels with no spokes at 3 & 9. I could go for a 84-86 Mustang three spoke wheel GT or SVO but I would have to relocate the cruise control switches to use it. But you know it's got me thinking why do I even care about cruise control anymore with the traffic around here I never use it.... Not even on my 08 Mustang. And I seldom ever use it on a trip when I go on one. 

I do know one thing I don't wanna use is a newer style wheel with a honking airbag... My only other option was the non-airbag wheel in the 1989-93 Tbirds but it has a deep collar and would put the wheel way too close to my chest, not to mention the uncomfortable reach to the turn signal lever from the rim.

Ya know I could really throw you all off and use this one below... LOL!

Delete

Reply #319
looks good now will look better when its done and so what if the bird is big as long as you remeber to look at the road i could careless.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Delete

Reply #320
I think that looks awesome! I have an extra 3 spoke GT wheel laying around if you decide you need one, It isn;t the leather wrapped one just vinyl.
John

Delete

Reply #321
Quote from: hcor;310587
I think that looks awesome! I have an extra 3 spoke GT wheel laying around if you decide you need one, It isn;t the leather wrapped one just vinyl.

Don't tempt me... You know the hole shapes between the spokes of the wheel would go great with the arched shapes of the dash and console shifter plate. I am good at covering steering wheels with leather wrap. I think almost every car I have had I have either added it or taken off the worn one and recovered it. I even helped a friend with a couple of Cadillacs he was restoring.

Even with my new 08 Mustang, I liked the white stitching of the 2010 models so much that I took the black stitching out of mine and sewed in some white stitching... Now I have the 2010 leather seat covers to match!

I need to think about that 3-spoke wheel... With a wheel that nice, I have no reservations about relocating the cruise switches or deleting them altogether. I could even mount them on something that would make them like a crude remote iPod touch pad with a removable cord and just plug it in at the base of the steering column if I decide to use the cruise system. I am not even sure if the cruise works on my old Bird now anyway. I never thought to check it before now. However I would have to work out a Tbird emblem for the horn pad. I still have a small straight edged bird left over from the original A frame wheel I could work with.

I could get it and see if I like using it. The nice thing is that it is easy to change back and forth depending on my mood...LOL!

Let me sleep on it... LOL!

Delete

Reply #322
I've not been able to get on as much, my computer's been down with a virus the past couple weeks. The air bag delete looks great! I like the Bird emblem it looks like it belongs there. I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Delete

Reply #323
Quote from: 1Bad88tbird;310689
I've not been able to get on as much, my computer's been down with a virus the past couple weeks. The air bag delete looks great! I like the Bird emblem it looks like it belongs there. I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Thanks man! It seems to be a love-hate concensus but then again all great design ideas are like that! ;)

I do wanna drive this car around... Gotta wait... I cannot trust it over five miles or five minutes at this point...

Delete

Reply #325
Quote from: 1 BADBIRD;310708
looking good man !

Thanks to the one with the Bird that looks awesome! Love the color choice! "Grabber" colors as I call them are kewl!

Delete

Reply #327
Quote from: 1 BADBIRD;310743
The color will definately GRAB YOU !!

Defenately! I think I mentioned before I liked your car when it was on ebay, and I saved some of the pics from the ad to my computer. That thing is sweet!

Delete

Reply #328
Quote from: 1Bad88tbird;310762
Defenately! I think I mentioned before I liked your car when it was on ebay, and I saved some of the pics from the ad to my computer. That thing is sweet!

Choosing a color can make a difference on the visual impact especially if it is not an OE color offering... I certainly took notice of Vinnie's Bird real quick since it is not an OE color offering for his model.

When I went to buy my 08 Mustang I had been looking at Grabber Orange because I like it. I was hung up more on the fact that my first car was a white Mustang II Cobra II with blue stripes and I had every intention of doing the LeMans stripes in blue on my new one, but I decided I like the black stripes so much I left it alone.. Then I got nostalgic for the application of black on Boss Mustangs. I did have a black Boss style stripe on the hood a while back but I was so unhappy with the job I did putting it on myself that it drove me crazy that it was slightly off center and slightly crooked front to back. I can pick up on the slightest variations with my eye so I peeled the dang stripe off one day with every intention of getting another one professionally installed. I have not gotten around to it yet because I have been so involved with my Tbird. I have my Mustang pretty much like I want it to be, besides the fact that I will not ever have the new 5.0... And I am not about to make my life a hardship buying another new car ever again especially since new Mustang prices have skyrocketed,  so I am enjoying mone as a daily driver until the day that I will have to restore it like the old Tbird. I have gotten the interior of my Mustang to look very nice with the additional satin aluminum acessories and trim, plus the 2010 style black leather seats with the white sitching. I don't feel so much like I am missing all that much having the older model with some of the newer look.

Oh yeah and I also like the new 2010 Grabber Blue!

Delete

Reply #329
I'm with you on color, I really like the combo on my car. It's the factory colors but I think the black and grey looks great. I have a chance to buy an 04 Mustang Mach One, compition orange with only 15k miles on it. A friend of mine is selling it and would really like for me to have it since he knows I'll take great care of it and he knows how bad I'd love to have it. But the timing is all wrong. I'm still laid off, and Sharrie's going to be needing a newer dd, as well as planning on getting married this summer, so another toy just isn't going to work right now. I'm thinking of trying to see if he'll hang onto it for a few more years until our Fusion is paid off then I'd be able to get it. So we'll see.