Skip to main content
Topic: Delete (Read 61503 times) previous topic - next topic

Delete

Reply #285
Quote from: jkirchman;309205
I haven't visited here in a while.  I just read every entry in this entire thread from the beginning back in May of last year to the most recent post.

You, sir, are pretty darn cool.  I can't wait to see the next thing you come up with!  Amazing ingenuity and creativity thus far.  Plus, you type in complete sentences!  ;-)

Awesome.  Just awesome.

Thanks for the compliments!

I have something special I am planning that will be a cool little surprise! Stay tuned!

Delete

Reply #286
The Hollywood Squares are now gone.... I bought some carbon fiber decal material, laid it flat over the original gauge face panel and cut out the windows for the readouts and lights.

Delete

Reply #287
Lookin' pretty sharp!
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Delete

Reply #288
wow, yeah keep looking on craigs list and ebay for the dash stuff. Ive been seeing NOS stuff for our cars pop up from time to time on Ebay esp. Good luck, you might as well change out the heater core since its all apart. Look on coolcats.net for help and type. DOnt go cheap. Best of luck!

Delete

Reply #289
My heater core is working okay. However it's way too late to change it now since I have the dash in already. I know how to whip it apart if I ever have to...

I think I have found everything I need to complete the dash install. I have the Mustang console, shifter trim and armrest pad. I just ordered a cupholder insert from a 1999 Mustang to cover the area around the missing ashtray lid. I also ordered the armrest compartment insert which also has a cupholder. I just realized I am going to have FIVE cupholders when I am done... LOL!  I have two in the sliding coin/cup tray I got from a Taurus and inserted into the bottom slot of the centerstack where the optional CD only player goes.

I have figured out how to make the gaping slot for the Mustang handbrake opening in the console functional. It will become sort of a map pocket. I will make a black vinyl liner that will go inside the slot. It will be handy as a place to stuff mail when I check my mailbox or stuff a magazine, check book or something.

I just bid on a factory radio with cassette player as well. I probably will never use the cassette player itself but I will likely hook up an iPod connection using an FM signal converter.

For some reason I am getting concerned that the upright Cougar header panel is not flowing well enough with the rest of the car and seems too formal, especially since I swapped out to a much swoopier and sportier dash. I may go back with the original header panel or think about going with a 87-88 style.

I have also decided that the wheel covers I bought are now totally out of character with the Mustang interior, so they will not be a permanent style. I really would like a set of Mustang turbines.

I have to order paint for the console. The one I got is tan.

I discovered last night my window switch stopped working and won't raise the window on the driver's side. I confirmed it was the switch by swapping the wire pins on the connector.

I am not happy with LED turn signal indicators I incorporated into the 1980 digital cluster. They are way too bright.

I need to do something about the fuel sender as well. It reads opposite from the buttstuffog gauge and when I fill the tank it reads empty.

Delete

Reply #290
Try some kind of dark smoked plastic over the LED's.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Delete

Reply #291
Quote from: jrad235;309598
Try some kind of dark smoked plastic over the LED's.

I worked on the cluster again. I removed the green LED's from the holes I remounted them to the back side of the cluster face. I had a 1980 Tbird dash pad with the upper tier indicator and idiot lights installed in it, so I removed the transluscent tier strip and cut the green turn signal indicator lamp arrows from it. I glued them to the back side of the round LED holes in the cluster face and now the light is filtered and much dimmer to a normal level of brightness.

While I had the cluster out again, I decided to remove the blue LED lights from the cluster that I had installed. The blue LED's just did not look good lit up with the blue-green vacuum flourescent digital readouts. I also installed the domed Mustang dash top digital clock. The color for the digital readout matches the instrument cluster readouts, so I reverted the instrument cluster and the HVAC rotary control panel back to the factory blue-green illumination colors which is just simply regular white bulbs with light shining through blue-green filters.

It is kinda cool to forget modern LED technology and represent the perpective that back in the day, the blue-green LED readouts were the state of the art. I'll have to say very dependable technology as well since the digital cluster is out of a 1980 car that has been sitting in a salvage yard. I have spent so much time getting the cluster to look and function right plus fabricating things to work together and look decent. For instance, I trimmed the original 84 Tbird dash cluster trimplate to make the inside of the Mustang gauge trim panel look finished off with the 80 Tbird dash cluster inside of it.

I also went with squared-off 1989-93 Tbird steering column trim because that is the only one that will retain the Fox style tilt wheel function that tilts directly behind the wheel while filling the larger square steering column hole in the Mustang dash. I had to cut away openings for the column shifter as well and cut and trim openings in the right places for the dual wiper/turn signal stalks. I even had to cut a large opening in the bottom of the column trim so I could operate the hazard flasher mounted in the bottom. My solution for making all this looked finished off was to cover the upper and lower column trim with black vinyl. I had to cover the hole in the top where the hazard flasher button was relocated starting with 1989 Tbirds. I also fashioned the vinyl to hang down and overlap the bottom column trim on the left side so the enlarged holes needed to make the range in movement of the wiper/ turn signal stalks looks concealed. Where the vinyl extends down on the left side, it is fastened down to the bottom half of the column trim as a flap with a velcro strip to fasten it in place. The black vinyl is held on the upper and lower column trim with spray adhesive but doubles as a seemless boot for the gear shift lever and left side stalk levers where the plastic on the column trim was cut away. It was a simple matter of cutting vertical slots in the vinyl to allow the stalk levers  and gear shift lever to poke through it. Maybe pictures will describe it better.

Now that I have these things out of the way, my only work left to the dash will be to install the used factory stereo radio I ordered. I also need to cover the right hand airbag cover delete trim with vinyl for a better finished look. I have to paint the left and right dash vents. I also have to work on the Mustang console. It needs to be painted gray to match. I found a trimplate for the power switches from a "consolette" Tbird and it is going to mount perfectly under the oval shape of the Mustang's shifter trimplate opening. This console should be a breeze to mount, but I really have to wait to get the carpet. I also needed the floor tunnel mounting bracket for the rear half of the Mustang console. The Mustang I pulled some parts from had it rivited to the floor tunnel and I did not bring the right tools to get it off.

I guess the next important and biggest step now is to get the Bird in good mechanical condition. I am pretty much done with interior trim at this point until after I get the exterior refinished.

Delete

Reply #292
Would it be possible to connect a 3.5mm auxiliary sound input to the factory head unit rather than using an FM transmitter?  I'm just asking because I have never been impressed with the sound quality of FM transmitters.  The best ones come with cables that actually go in-line between the factory antenna cable and the back of the head unit and they wire up to 12V somewhere behind the dash. But even those aren't as good as a straight input, IMO. 

Just wondering what you were considering in that respect is all.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Delete

Reply #293
Quote from: jkirchman;309846
Would it be possible to connect a 3.5mm auxiliary sound input to the factory head unit rather than using an FM transmitter?  I'm just asking because I have never been impressed with the sound quality of FM transmitters.  The best ones come with cables that actually go in-line between the factory antenna cable and the back of the head unit and they wire up to 12V somewhere behind the dash. But even those aren't as good as a straight input, IMO. 

Just wondering what you were considering in that respect is all.

I suppose I should think about it more. I know with the original factory radio I had the 3.5mm input would be easy to do with the old style volume control. I'll have to see what I can do with the newer style radio because it has chicklet push button controls. I also never tried one of those cassette adapters with the auxilary input cord attached. With this car it is not a daily driver nor will it ever be so I am not as concerned with sound quality as I expect to be with my 08 Mustang. I could have held out for a nice new single DIN audio unit with aux inputs in the faceplate but I kinda like using the Ford factory radio for the OE look that matches the dash style. I got the radio pretty cheap. If I really wanted to I could have gotten the updated large din faceplate on the newer model SN-95 Mustangs. There are dozens of large din audio units for sale on eBay. If I was more fanatical I could have even installed a touch screen audio unit. I don't even have that in my 08 Mustang and if it becomes important enough I would put one in that car first.  If I was able to buy a new 2010 or 11 Mustang it would have to have SYNC or I would not take it. That technology is even advancing further in future Mustangs where everything will eventually be controlled by a center touch screen including HVAC, ambient lighting and whatever else they can put in there. Can you imagine how many buttons, s and controls they can get rid of and clean dashes up for simplicity, not to mention that gauge clusters will eventually go to flat LCD displays that have the ability to infintely customize the appearance of the display. I love technology... until it breaks... LOL!

Delete

Reply #294
Pondering thoughts for the night... UGHHH.. Feeling guilt right now over the prospect of not using the original Tbird console... I guess because it is in perfectly good shape and looks better to me than the Mustang one but I hate to not include the flowing transition of the Mustang console into the center stack. My original plan was to make lower center stack extensions covered in vinyl that would meet the Tbird console. I hate having so many options!

I am feeling guilt over not using the original buttstuffog gauge cluster as well since I went to the trouble to paint all the needles blue-green.

I am also not as excited anymore over the Cougar header panel clip. The 87-88 Tbird noses look so good but I hate to not stay part of the four eyed club as well. Downside to the 87-88 nose would be coming up with nice set of headlamps. I don't even know if I could polish out a hazed set to satisfaction. I like the halo rectagular headlamps that I got for the four eyed header panel. It sucks when you have one car and like utilizing different looks!

I am really going insane over having so many choices I can make. I guess it's good thing I don't have as much of a choice but to stay with the rear end styling because nothing else fits it. I like the 85-86 style taillamps which would be easy for ME to convert to sequential flashing LED units but I do not really want to part with the original Bird emblem designs, unless of course I look into seeing if the old Bird emblems will completely cover the area that the newer ones do... Oh .. now I have opened another can of worms of modifications I can obsess about! LOL!

Something tells me I'd enjoy having a second car to try these different looks on... I am just way too addicted to creating my own designs with interchangable and easily fabricated parts. It feels like I am building a giant custom model car!

What I am not feeling guilty about is using the Mustang dash. Every time I look at the pictures of classic 1958-63 Tbirds, I enjoy the similarities and the interesting related design themes. I feel so justified by not going with another plastic original style dash shell that would crack and not having to worry about the dash pad looking right. The 1985-88 dash was an option but not an exciting one to me, I guess because it's common and expected. I also spent a few years with that style in the 1985 I used to have. I seem to get off more making something unique and unexpected. I can imagine if I ever entered a car show it would be more of a memorable conversation piece and a personal expression of myself. 

I cannot help the Chip Foose tendencies in me despite the fact I don't have his talent and resources!

Delete

Reply #295
More progression...

The digital instrument cluster is installed, trimmed and finished into the Mustang cluster trimplate.

The dashtop clock is installed.

I cleaned and vacuumed the interior then staged the Mustang console in place for pictures, but it is not painted and attached yet so don't pay attention to the gaps.

The guilt about using not using the original Tbird console has somewhat dissipated after staging the Mustang console with the shfter trim plate in place.

I am still on the fence about the front end header panel. I still think I may need to revert back to an shovel nose.

Delete

Reply #296
One more shot of the interior...

I need to find a working window switch and a square power mirror switch.

I am going to bond the 86 Tbird consolette switch plate to the shifter trim soon. I recieved the Mustang console compatment bin with the sliding cupholder today. I am going to work in the Tbird's compartment light. I also need to cover the airbag delete plate with black vinyl. In doing that there will be a interesting little surprise I will reveal. I had bigger plans for this surprise, but I changed my mind for reasons I will reveal later.

I really need my shift lever to be bent in at a more accute angle close to the steering column so it does not bind against the cluster trim. I tried bending a spare I had laying around but I discovered it is just pot metal that breaks. There are no other vehicles that use a different lever that will accommodate my need. If it starts to bother me too much then I will likely sucspoogeb to a floor shifter conversion and relocate the window and seat switches from the shifter plate location.

Hopefully the radio will be here tomorrow. I am praying the readout is blue-green. I discovered the left front speaker I got used is no good. I'm gonna have to find another.

Delete

Reply #297
that looks awesome man!
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Console Switchplate

Reply #298
Okay folks here is the consolette switchplate trimmed down and bonded to the bottom of the Mustang shifter plate. It was just meant to be. Interesting thing is there is a curvature to the surface of the Tbird consolette switch plate which rises, so I could only bond this on three sides. However, it leaves me the opportunity to mount the Tbird's ashtray light in the front of the trimplate so that light shines through the gap on the front edge. Of course I have a blue bulb in the lamp that will illuminate a blue-green that will match the rest of the dash illumination.

I will also be going for anti-LED ambient lighting under both sides of the dash using conventional blue bulbs I will add a couple to the rear seat area as well, probably on the rear sides of the console. Truck style step bumper license plate lamp fixtures would be perfect for the rear as to not direct light directly upward into any passenger's eyes. My theory in application is to demonstrate the use of ambient lighting using conventional bulbs if it was done back in the old days like LED ambient lighting is popular today.

I thought about putting the blue bulbs in the courtesy lamps on the inside quarter panel trim as ambient lighting but that would be visible from behind while driving and probably illegal use of blue light. However I may still use blue bulbs in them as courtesy lights.

Interesting thing I did to my 08 Mustang dome lamp. I put a set of blue LED's in the light fixture next to the conventional lights. When I open the doors or activate the remote keyless unlock it illuminates only the blue LED lights within the map light housing. However if I need to read a map or just need white light, I push the map light button on for white light.

I need to eliminate the number of dome/map lights I will have in the Tbird. I originally bought an updated Taurus map/courtesy light to get rid of the old original pitted chrome fixture in the center of  the headliner. I also have a rear view mirror with courtesy/map lights. I recently picked up a Lincoln Continental overhead map light console with a neat little flip down center sunvisor. So I think I will be illiminating the center headliner mounted dome/map light altogether.

Did you all know that Ford uses the same roof brace at the rear of the roof as they do the center? The rear roof brace has the provisions to mount the center dome lamp!

Delete

Reply #299
Quote from: RunninWild;309987
that looks awesome man!

Thanks so much!

I am no longer feeling the Cougar nose... I think it will be going away soon. It was a cheap experiment of being different which I wanted to see if the novelty would wear off or if the look would have longevity and feel right after some time. Don't anyone be surprised if I offer it up for sale soon.

I am contemplating which way I really want to go with the header panel.

I think I have made all the right decisions with the interior. I don't regret the dash swap one bit. This is never going to be an all original showpiece with great value in the future anyway. This is my personal fun project car that I hope to die with.  I am happy with what I have accomplished so far, plus it allows me quite a bit of my own self expression. Now I need to channel that passion into what is really more important... the mechanicals! Otherwise it will be just end up being a big lawn ornament!