Skip to main content
Topic: Delete (Read 61507 times) previous topic - next topic

Delete

Reply #270
Just for retrospect here are the dashes of the two Mustangs I used to have... I had completely forgotten I had the factory componant CD player in the 1999 Mustang. The 1999 Mustang had the worst seat material ever! You'll notice I modded my auto shifter with a boot. Looking at the pic of the 1994 which is the first one posted, I was coloring the cluster bezel to match the airbag trim a few years before Ford even thought about it. Oh yeah and I did sewn on my own leather wrap for that wheel. The seat material was much nicer in the 1994.

With the picture of my 99, you can really tell how much I cut off the dash to make it fit against the cowl in the Tbird....

Delete

Reply #271
Got my passenger side airbag delete trim, dash clock and shifter bezel today. The Mustang console is on the way soon as well.

I need help with the 1994-97 Mustang dashtop clock. I don't have a pigtail with a connector and wires. I found a list of what each wire color does but not the positions in the connector. There are no Mustang's in Pull-A-Part. I am thinking I will try to go to U-Pull-It in Rock Hill, SC and see if they have any Mustangs I can get a pigtail from.

Delete

Reply #272
Actually,I may have tyhat pigtail.I'll check after work.If so,I'll ship it to you.I won't be using it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Delete

Reply #273
Quote from: Watchdevil;308168
Got my passenger side airbag delete trim, dash clock and shifter bezel today. The Mustang console is on the way soon as well.

I need help with the 1994-97 Mustang dashtop clock. I don't have a pigtail with a connector and wires. I found a list of what each wire color does but not the positions in the connector. There are no Mustang's in Pull-A-Part. I am thinking I will try to go to U-Pull-It in Rock Hill, SC and see if they have any Mustangs I can get a pigtail from.

My overworked mind is now thinking if I should go with a 87-88 front end header panel which will be more in character with the style of the Mustang dash... I know it seems crazy I jump from one idea to another. I start out thinking I want the Bird to be one way and it ends up totally different.

I've been giving heavy thought to going the cougar header route on my 'Bird this summer, I've always thought about how it might look and just wasn't sure~But now actually seeing it i think I'm gonna go for it.
I just hope you don't feel like I'm stealing your idea or anything...
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Delete

Reply #274
Quote from: Romeo2k;308215
I've been giving heavy thought to going the cougar header route on my 'Bird this summer, I've always thought about how it might look and just wasn't sure~But now actually seeing it i think I'm gonna go for it.
I just hope you don't feel like I'm stealing your idea or anything...

Hey good for you... And it's always easy to change back if you change your mind. No, you are not stealing my idea... I stole it from someone else if you wanna know the truth. I seen a picture of a Tbird with a Cougar nose and I thought what the heck... While I was at the Pull-A-Part I snagged one... I even got one with the metal grille.

Delete

Reply #275
Quote from: vinnietbird;308191
Actually,I may have tyhat pigtail.I'll check after work.If so,I'll ship it to you.I won't be using it.

Vinnie that would be great! That's for the Mustang clock right? It would make you a life saver and prevent me the aggravation of trying to hunt one down or fabricate something to work.

Thanks Vinnie! Just PM me if you need my addy again...

Delete

Reply #276
I messed around with the digital cluster I got from a 1980 Tbird. Since I was having some problems with the ribbon circuit in the original buttstuffog cluster, I decided to see if I could make this digital one work. I traced all the wires and color codes, recorded the wire clolors and positions for each cluster. I removed the wires one by one from the original 18 pin connector to the 14 pin one that the digital cluster uses and bingo... A good working cluster.  This cluster does not use VSS, but it is cable driven with some sort of magnito built in to the odometer unit that send a pulse to the digital speedo. I tested it and it works. Even the gas gauge is functioning though I believe it is reading too low. I may have to investigate replacing the sending unit with a proper one. The only thing I have to do is add in some LED's for the turn signal indicators since the digi-cluster for 1980 does not have them integrated. I will also add an LED for the ENGINE light which is also not in this cluster.

Here is the cluster. I spent tonight taking pictures to dospoogeent the odometer reading on the old cluster vs. the new one... Then I got brave and decided to change the odometer reading on the digital cluster to read the actual mileage of the original buttstuffog one.

So here I have it, 80's tech... It's still cool with it's blue vacuum flourescent readouts. It even goes well with the domed Mustang dashtop digital clock. I intend to replace the two conventional illumination bulbs for the odometer and PRND21 with blue LED's. I am also going to find a nice deep blue clear sheet of plastic to yield the digital display a color closer to typical LED blue. I am not as crazy about the silver outlined squares over the cluster face. Ideally, I like the 1983-84 digital cluster that is all black. Buy hey I snagged this cluster cheap thinking I may never find one at all, so I might as well use it.

Right now I am cleaning up the cluster and polishing the outer clear lens. Back to work...

Delete

Reply #277
So...Your gonna fit that monster into the Stang dash instead of the stang cluster?
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Delete

Reply #278
Quote from: jrad235;308419
So...Your gonna fit that monster into the Stang dash instead of the stang cluster?

It's the same exact size cluster as the old one. I can put this in without a bunch of complicated wiring that is required for a Mustang cluster which has an entire array of gauges plus there is no VSS on the speedo cable. If I change my mind later and feel up to the challenge of a Mustang cluster I will tackle it. I have cleaned up this cluster since I took the picture and it looks pretty darn good. I also have ideas for doing away with the square boxes around the readouts so that it will look entirely black with the cluster turned off. I have always had a thing for digital dashes and since this is not a hi-performance car I really don't care about the rest of the gauges it does not have.

Delete

Reply #279
I'll find that pigtail later today or tomorrow.We had a bunch of snow dropped on us,and it's (the pigtail) in the garage out behind the house.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Delete

Reply #280
Quote from: vinnietbird;308427
I'll find that pigtail later today or tomorrow.We had a bunch of snow dropped on us,and it's (the pigtail) in the garage out behind the house.

Thanks Vinnie! No rush... We had snow drop on us as well!

Delete

Reply #281
More on the digital cluster...

I added a red LED for the ENGINE light and two green LED's for the turn signal indicators. Inside the cluster I added blue LED backlighting for the odometer and PRND31 indicator.

I was also able to use the original 84 dash cluster trimplate but cut it down to fit so that the cluster looks better finished when it is installed in the Mustang dash.

Delete

Reply #283
I got a used Mustang center console today thanks to hcor!

I did a test fit of it and it's off on the left side where it neets the center stack. I will later adjust the Tbird dash frame support rod where it mounts to the steering column bolts and move the dash forward and see what happens. It has a slot in the dash end of the rod that allows for tolerance adjustment. I have to clean the console up, get some matching gray dye and spray it. I need to find the console compartment insert as well as either an ashtray lid or a newer style cupholder that replaces the ashtray. I will also have to frabricate a bracket to support the rear of the console to the tunnel.

Looks like I will be moving the Tbird window, mirror and seat switches to the Mustang's oval shifter plate area. I will look for a switch trimplate from a Tbird or Cougar with the driver's seat mounted consolette. I will trim that plate down to fit under the Mustang's oval shifter trim opening shape and bond it from underneath.

I have the empty handbrake slot to deal with. I have no intention of installing a handbrake, so I may just fill it with plastic covered with vinyl and bond it in from underneath.

In regards to the digital dash face, I am considering some faux carbon fiber decal material that I sell at work. That may update the gauge face nicely so all those 80's squares are not in the gauge face. I can lay it over the face and cut out the areas around the idiot lights, odometer and digital display windows.

Delete

Reply #284
I haven't visited here in a while.  I just read every entry in this entire thread from the beginning back in May of last year to the most recent post.

You, sir, are pretty darn cool.  I can't wait to see the next thing you come up with!  Amazing ingenuity and creativity thus far.  Plus, you type in complete sentences!  ;-)

Awesome.  Just awesome.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0