Skip to main content
Topic: Newbee with 1985 t-bird turbo coupe project (Read 3027 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbee with 1985 t-bird turbo coupe project

Reply #30
First off thanks guys a hole lot for all your input. Yes i found the car on craigs list only 550 bucks it had to be a deal or my dad would not have gotten the car since he is a dealer :burnout:  Hey nice white Ranger is that a Ranger GT?  I know most of you think i should keep the 2.3 but i like the platform of the tc for the 5.0 swap i know there are plenty of v8 fact birds but not close to the same as she will be with the tc goodies and a true HO 5.0!

Reply #31
I would recommend that you at least TRY out the 2.3 first. Throw a little money into in and see how it is.

....I just remembered you arent even gonna be able to drive this thing for at least 3 years....
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #32
Quote from: bhazard;219174
I would recommend that you at least TRY out the 2.3 first. Throw a little money into in and see how it is.

....I just remembered you arent even gonna be able to drive this thing for at least 3 years....

in 3 years gas will be so dang high!:flame:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #33
Well actually it is less than two year in Feb of 2010 i will have my learners permit then i can drive. I have had some experience with driving cars i learned to do a stick when i was 8 and a buddy of my dads has 40acrs just down the road and my dad and i have done a lil redneck budget racing with some sleds and i raced go karts for 2 years.

Reply #34
Well actually it is less than two years in Feb of 2010 i will have my learners permit then i can drive :D . I have had some experience with driving cars i learned to do a stick when i was 8 and a buddy of my dads has 40acrs just down the road and my dad and i have done a lil redneck budget racing with some sleds and i raced go karts for 2 years.

Reply #35
I know next to nothing about 1st Gen. Turbo Coupes. What were they equipped with that LX 302 cars weren't, other than an optional 5-spd and a bumper that holds fog lights?

Reply #36
Quote from: d-bird;219165
  Yes i found the car on craigs list only 550 bucks it had to be a deal or my dad would not have gotten the car since he is a dealer :burnout:  Hey nice white Ranger is that a Ranger GT?

-thought that looked like the same car.  i found the ad week before last, called on it but he said it was already sold.  yes, my Ranger is a GT.  good that you do know of them at your age.  if you want one, i have 2 that have no engine or trans in them(great for V8 conversions) i'll glady trade you for the 'bird!  :hick:
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #37
Quote from: shorangerbird;219219
-thought that looked like the same car.  i found the ad week before last, called on it but he said it was already sold.  yes, my Ranger is a GT.  good that you do know of them at your age.  if you want one, i have 2 that have no engine or trans in them(great for V8 conversions) i'll glady trade you for the 'bird!  :hick:

O shiznit! no way! How much!

And man you will love the 5.0, but about half the members on here have TRUE 5.0 HO's, or 351w, 306 strokers, 347 strokers, theres some serious birds on this site.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Do you mean 83s-84s or 83s-86s?

Reply #38
Quote from: oldraven;219216
I know next to nothing about 1st Gen. Turbo Coupes. What were they equipped with that LX 302 cars weren't, other than an optional 5-spd and a bumper that holds fog lights?

Mostly suspension, in either case.  And the stick was standard, haha.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #39
Quote from: daboss351;219268
O shiznit! no way! How much!

And man you will love the 5.0, but about half the members on here have TRUE 5.0 HO's, or 351w, 306 strokers, 347 strokers, theres some serious birds on this site.

Yes, the 5.0HO in 88-up form is alot more potent then either the standard 5.0 or those before 88.

Reply #40
that's a GREAT looking car to start your project with!!!  i'm one of the ones that is very pro 2.3turbo.  however, like many have said, it's your car and you're entitled to do with it as you wish.  have fun!
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #41
Quote from: LJS30;219289
Yes, the 5.0HO in 88-up form is alot more potent then either the standard 5.0 or those before 88.

I know my HO absolutely TEARS my 245's apart like nothing!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #42
Quote from: daboss351;219323
I know my HO absolutely TEARS my 245's apart like nothing!!

Yes, alot of guys talk  about the HO without knowing the difference in those motors from 88-up.

Reply #43
Quote from: oldraven;219216

quite a bit differences such as interior, wheels, suspension, gauge cluster, paint sceem and a few other

Reply #44
Quote from: shorangerbird;219219

Hmm i will have to think about that but thanks anyway i think im better off with my t-bird it was a score