Skip to main content
Topic: Newbee with 1985 t-bird turbo coupe project (Read 3180 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbee with 1985 t-bird turbo coupe project

Hey my name is Daniel im 13 my dad owns his own dealership cherokeeautogroupdotcom anyway if i was spoiled i guess i could have the choice of any car on the lot but thats not how this is going to work. We recently purchased a rust free Georgia turbo coupe with just a hair over 100k. We are going to over the next 2+ years make this into one sweet ride. Here is the plan my dad has to mustang donor cars a 1992 lx 5.0 convertible thats where we will get the 5.0 fuel injected v8  for the engine swap second a 1989 mustang GT for the t5 5 speed swap! The car now has a good running engine and tranny but we rather do the 5.0 5 speed swap. I am sure i will have lots of questions for yall hope this is a good source for info.
                                                Thanks Daniel

Reply #1
keep the 2.3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #2
well we were considering that but id rather have something a little different. Whats is the best place to post pictures? Thanks

Reply #3
Keep the 2.3 liter turbo it is different and spend your money modding it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #4
Welcome, Daniel.  I'm going to go ahead and warn you of a possible and probable 2.3T vs 5.0 war in this thread.  Just do what you want.  I have a 5.0HO in my Tbird and it's so much fun to drive.  Well over a year after the engine work, I'm still not tired of turning the radio down just to hear the deep V8 rumble, then feel the torque kick in when I get on the gas.  With the 5 speed, it'll be even more fun.  Just do what you want and enjoy it.  I'm glad to see you're able to start nice and early on your car so by the time you get your license, it'll be waitin for ya :) .

Reply #5
Thanks for the input i'm gonna try to post some photos.

Reply #6
Welcome, you'll find all the answers to your questions if it's fox body related. from body to motor, it's in here somewhere
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
Keep the 2.3 man. Theres absolutely nothing original or different about dropping a 5.0 in a turbo coupe. These cars are becoming more and more rare every time someone drops a v8 in one, especially a 4-eye car.

Besides, with gas getting only more expensive, wouldnt you rather have the economy of a 4 banger with that turbo power readily available for passing v8 cars?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #8
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Welcome!!!![/COLOR]
1988 Cougar LS 5.0 (currently parting out):cougarsmily:
1989 Mustang LX Notch 2.3 (Project):ford:

Reply #9
Quote from: bhazard;218928
Keep the 2.3 man. Theres absolutely nothing original or different about dropping a 5.0 in a turbo coupe. These cars are becoming more and more rare every time someone drops a v8 in one, especially a 4-eye car.

Besides, with gas getting only more expensive, wouldnt you rather have the economy of a 4 banger with that turbo power readily available for passing v8 cars?

Well uh...the mpg isnt THAT much better...and a stock 2.3T def wont be passing a 5.0HO.  However, since the engine and tranny are doin fine, I would actually keep the 2.3T.  But if the OP wants a V8, then have at it.  Can't really go wrong either way.  I know I love my 5.0.

Reply #10
I love my t/c. If it were me I'd keep it 2.3T. I get 28-35mpg on the highway. That is a lot better than most v8 cars. Plus I'm passing many 5.0's, 4.6's, these are mostly stock or close to it. I haven't finished my tuning on my LARGE front mount Blow thru setup.  But do as you want! Just keep in mind that when later down the road it is all sweat and cherry! It would be that much better if it still had a 2.3T. You'll love the look on the others face when you tell them Yes it is only a 4 banger. They look that the car and beg you to open the hood thinking you are lying! You run and pop the hood, open it up and you see there heart drop when they find you really have a 4 BANGER! And to think I just lost to this big ole car with a 4 banger! they walk away scratching they head like did that really just happen! I love it.

Also don't just take my word for it look around and see what you can find about the 2.3t before you decide to drop in the 5.0. I suggest you look over at turboford. here is a link  http://www.turboford.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php  and over here. http://www.turbotbird.com/

PS WELCOME and Gotta have pics man! LOL
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #11
Here are few pics!

Reply #12
Quote from: ipsd;218944
I love my t/c. If it were me I'd keep it 2.3T. I get 28-35mpg on the highway.

I got 33mpg on my 200 mile highway run at 75-80mph.  :nannerbang:

@d-bird:  Thats an awesome hot rod platform no matter which power plant you choose.  Everyone on this forum is gonna have their bias towards one or the other, but in the end, choose what's gonna make YOU happy, not anyone else.

Reply #13
Welcome dude!

13 huh? Awesome. Dad's sure gettin' ya into the right hobby! Nothin better than dumpin' all of the modest cash you have as a kid into an effin chunk o' steel on wheels! :hick:

That thing is gorgeous, good luck waitin' to drive it!!! :flame: 

Cool-lookin' garage! What's behind the bird? I'm thinkin' mid 70s GM barge, like a pontiac grand prix or something?

Cheers!
Paul
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #14
The only swap I would do on that is a 5 speed swap. Even then the C3 oughtta be better than an a4ld.

As far as 2.3 vs 5.0 goes, think of it this way. The 2.3t auto was rated at 145hp I believe, maybe 155. The 5.0/auto in 85 was at 175hp I think.

Get a big vam, browntops, la3, etc to update the engine to 88tc specs. Intercooler, 3 inch exhaust, k&n, etc. $10 boost controller set at 20 psi and bam youre at over 200hp and probably 300lb ft of torque, maybe even 250hp. All that can be had for well under $500 if you look in the right places.  I paid $150 for my exhaust alone, from turbo to tailpipe. Other than a 3" downpipe elbow its pretty much maxed out as far as exhaust systems go.

Think of how much you would have to spend to get a similar increase in power out of a 5.0. Obviously you would have to spend twice as much alone in exhaust parts.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles