Skip to main content
Topic: Newbee with 1985 t-bird turbo coupe project (Read 3181 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbee with 1985 t-bird turbo coupe project

Reply #15
Ahhh, this gives me TARBO FEVAR again!

Welcome kid, you're definitely our youngest member, glad to see you're involved in a good hobby.

Reply #16
-welcome, very nice car.  did you find it on craigslist???
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #17
Very nice rig, in awesome shape. I'd say keep the 2.3L too, but that's not surprising anyone. Do what you want, but if you're looking for something different, the entire point of the TC was to be different. The most spec'd out model with the most power (we're talking T-birds here) had the smallest motor. That's different.

I sent these links to a co-worker after he gave me a crooked look when I told him that my car didn't have a 302, but a 2.3T. Make your own judgement, but putting a 302 in a turbo-coupe is about as obvious as a 350 in a hot rod. Besides, they made lots of 302 T-birds, if that's they way you need to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0QT7Pyme6g&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv1-omYCb9c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCmMTun1mc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZvhCSYIIjA That’s a sub 12 second pass.

Reply #18
First off, nice way to welcome someone into the fold.  :rolleyes:  Well let me say welcome!!!!!  You'll find alot of knowledge and passion on this board when it comes to Cougars, T-Birds, etc....  As for the swap, well unlike some other kid talking about his TT Supra swap, this kid has a good head on his shoulders.  That is evidenced by his swapping in a 90's 5.0HO.  I say encourage this kid to do a realistic swap.  If tuned correctly with that T-5, he could easily get 22 MPG and still have that legendary torque and excitement the HO has to offer.  No worrying about blown turbo lines, bad turbo, etc....  I like this kid already.

Reply #19
Quote from: bhazard;218956
The only swap I would do on that is a 5 speed swap. Even then the C3 oughtta be better than an a4ld.

As far as 2.3 vs 5.0 goes, think of it this way. The 2.3t auto was rated at 145hp I believe, maybe 155. The 5.0/auto in 85 was at 175hp I think.

Get a big vam, browntops, la3, etc to update the engine to 88tc specs. Intercooler, 3 inch exhaust, k&n, etc. $10 boost controller set at 20 psi and bam youre at over 200hp and probably 300lb ft of torque, maybe even 250hp. All that can be had for well under $500 if you look in the right places.  I paid $150 for my exhaust alone, from turbo to tailpipe. Other than a 3" downpipe elbow its pretty much maxed out as far as exhaust systems go.

Think of how much you would have to spend to get a similar increase in power out of a 5.0. Obviously you would have to spend twice as much alone in exhaust parts.

Didn't he mention his donor 5.0HO is from a 90's Mustang?  That is rated at 225HP at the crank with ALOT more torque.  The 5.0HO is cheap with all kinds of parts availability.

Reply #20
Is there anything unwelcoming about our posts? I see a lot of 'Welcome's, 'Nice car's, 'you're getting into a great hobby's, 'good on your dad's, etc. :dunno:

Reply #21
Wecome Aboard!
Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe the kid wants the rumble of the 5.0? You know, something that the 2.3 just can't produce. ;) At 13, I know I wanted a V-8 over a 4 and if I was in his shoes, I'd probably swap it as well. :flame:
Nice car Daniel, enjoy it. You definitely came to the right place. :D

Reply #22
Quote from: 5.0willgo;219013

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe the kid wants the rumble of the 5.0? You know, something that the 2.3 just can't produce. ;)

I agree the rumble of a V8 is hard to beat; but for me, hearing the turbo spool up is music to my ears. :D

Welcome aboard Daniel, it's your car so you should decide what's best for you.
I looks like a nice car to play with.

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #23
I can understand that. Like I said, there are a lot of 302 T-birds out there as a starting point. With the 4-eyes, there's not enough of a difference to need to tear up a TC when you could find one already equipped with what he's looking for. Swapping an SO out for an HO would be easier than in a TC.

He came here for info, right?

Reply #24
Quote from: kingcars;218904
  With the 5 speed, it'll be even more fun.   

x2

I was there once... i had this car of mine since i was 12 or 13, i lost count.

Best way to start is young. Welcome.

Reply #25
Cool pics!!!!!  I'm really impressed with this kid guys.  It's rare you find a youngster truly into these kinds of cars.  It seems like rice or the quick fix off the new car lot is what every kid really wants.  Tons of memories are going to be attached to his car.

Reply #26
I wish I had TC when I was 13.  Not jealous, not even a little bit.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #27
We had my Tbird when I was 14 iirc and it was passed over to me when I was 15...but even then I wasn't really able to drive it till I was 18 :( .

Reply #28
I feel like I had my cougar since I was 14.
I say keep what you got until it doesn't work.
If I didn't need to replace mine, I'd keep the 3.8 in it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #29
lucky man you are!!!
My first car was supose to be a 1988 turbo coupe with a 5 speed, god  that thing SCREWED. I dont know what was done to the car before we bought it, but the  car would get into boost, and it would just SCREAM. Dump the clutch and youd be roasting the tires.
But I know how awesome the 5.0 is, I have a h.o in my mark. Awesome motor, sounds great with an intake and exhaust on it!
cant go wrong either way! But at least you got a rust free car, my 88 bird rotted out before I could drive it, and my mark isnt much better!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07