Skip to main content
Topic: 408 stroker project (Sold 4/2020) (Read 110637 times) previous topic - next topic

408 stroker project (For Sale 5/2018)

Reply #120
Looking good. Planning any interior work?

(excuse my crude Photochop)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #121
The interior will be done last. Not sure if it will stay red or not.. More than likely 3 years from now. This year will be all drivetrain and getting it road ready, next year will be paint and body, and year 3 will be interior.

Once I get it running and track ready, I'll start looking into getting the roll cage installed for fall 2010.

I plan on spending a couple of hours Saturday on fixing the running issues with the car. Hopefully Sunday I'll be posting a video of a smooth running motor! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm having an issue with 1,2 and 7,8 running super rich and a terrible surging idle due to these cylinders running like they are. My plans are to redo the valve timing and a compression test to get a better picture of whats going on. Not sure where I'll go from the there if no compression in those cylinders, I'll more than likely pull the heads and redo the gaskets and double check everything. If it checks out and still runs like ass I might just switch to a carb setup and ditch the fuel injection stuff. Either way I'll get it right just a matter of finding time to dedicate to it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #122
Well I took about a year off from this and just got working on it this week. I think I figured out my problem with the valves I was having.  I took off the lower intake to inspect the lifters, push-rods, and rockers.  While putting it together I realized for the first time that I was able to tighten my rocker bolts 2 turns past zero-lash till I hit my torque during the install.  Turns out I needed to shim each rocker. I got them all 1/2- 3/4 turn now.

Totally my fault from the very beginning, for some reason I was under the impression that since the machine shop measured the pushrod length when they had the long-block that all I had to do was bolt down the rockers.  I don't know, I assumed and was wrong.. anyway bottom line I should have it all together by the weekend and hopefully it runs good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #123
About time,lol. I thought maybe you gave up on it. I am surprised your still running pedestal's on it. Did you figure the hood out yet?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #124
Quote from: Kitz Kat;328350
About time,lol. I thought maybe you gave up on it. I am surprised your still running pedestal's on it. Did you figure the hood out yet?

Yeah I had a set of the pedestals already so I keep them,  I hate them too.  I cut a hole in the hood, just need to order a scoop to cover it up.  I'll post a pic of the hood.  I think I might have went little crazy with the hole LOL.  When I cut it last year I had a scoop in mind and now I can't remember where I was going to buy it from.. so I'm limited to these dimensions now.  I might lean toward a bolt-on or bond-on cowl now.

How's your car running with the CI cam and ported lower now?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #125
It's running strong, no dyno#'s or track time yet though. I don't get much time this time of the year to do anything.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #126
I was wondering what happened to you....

Reply #127
Quote from: thundr306;328868
I was wondering what happened to you....

I'm still here :) I got alot done this week.  Engine is back together.  Rockers are shimmed, battery is charged.  I just need to: swap out the power steering pump (its leaking at the shaft), change the oil, filter, add some gas, coolant, and keep my fingers crossed.  Not sure what I'm doing with the hood yet but here's some pics.  I need a scoop /cowl or something to cover a 18" x 25" hole.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #128
nice work bob, im glad bills car is still bad ass lol! almost time to take it to atco and make some f-body owners angry

Reply #129
You weren't kidding when you said you have a big hole!

Reply #130
Quote from: Nate;328911
nice work bob, im glad bills car is still bad ass lol! almost time to take it to atco and make some f-body owners angry

Hey Nate,  how you making out with your project?  You bought Jim's car right? One day I'll be meeting you at ATCO and we both be tearing up the track
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #131
Quote from: Kitz Kat;328915
You weren't kidding when you said you have a big hole!

Yeah I really couldn't help the width cause the top of the throttle body is the highest point of the whole motor.  You know that vacuum port on top sticks out real high.  I wanted to keep the sides
the same so that's where the 25" came from.  The 18" could have been smaller on the top but only by about a couple inches.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #132
Have you thought of a cowl hood to fix the height problem?
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

Reply #133
Quote from: blackcougar71;329014
Have you thought of a cowl hood to fix the height problem?

Well yeah that's ideal just don't have the funds to do that right now.  I'd be looking at $500 for an unpainted hood.  If I can just slap on a black hood scoop right now for under a $100 that better for my car budget cause I still need tires, windshield, and getting it dyno tuned is going be $$ too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #134
i have a 4inch cowl hood i would sell since its to small for my setup. the only thing is its for hood pins on all four corners instead of a bolt on hood.
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)