Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138512 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #765
How's the engine coming along? I've got a little daydream prancing in my head of building a nice little ole 306 this coming winter.. :evilgrin:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #766
Alright, so today was the day. I called up the machine shop, got another excuse, he told me it'd be done next week (I'll get back to this in a minute), so I called up dad and we went and picked my stuff up. He gave us no hassle, didn't ask why, or anything. Surprisingly, or maybe not so, everything was in the exact condition it was when I dropped it off a year ago; old gasketing from the first build was still present, the block hadn't been honed, my new pushrods weren't ordered yet, etc. The only thing that had been done was the new crank had been ordered and dropped off at a neighboring shop for balancing just TWO WEEKS AGO. The funny thing is that there's way more than a week's worth of work left to do on this engine. I'm currently in the process of finding a well known, respected shop so I can get the block honed and prepped.

While he got everything together for us, we stopped by the neighboring shop (a shop that did all the machining work for us many years ago during my dad's racing days) and got the full scoop. The main problem here wasn't a machine shop trying to screw us over or not interested in the money (which I didn't expect anyway) - the guy simply bit off more work than he could chew, and this has been a continuing problem as of the past couple of years. Instead of admitting fault, all we got was excuse after excuse, and that really was the biggest problem.

So anyways, we spent a good bit of time talking with the other shop about what needs to be done and that sort of stuff. I emphasized a few times that I just want a *FIRM* timeframe of when he can get the balancing done and that I'm not going to deal with setbacks and such anymore. He understood/agreed and told me to come get the stuff next Friday; he'll be balancing my rotating assembly.

All in all, I'm just glad everything is back under my control and it has certainly been a learning experience for both me and my father. Next time I have a project like that being done by a shop, I will make it a point to stop by every week or so and expect to see progress; not only that, but a written contract will be made with a due date, among other things. I need to take a more firm, hands on approach next time to avoid a situation like this.

As for other news, I have some new car parts coming in. I've got a nice new Ford Racing clutch cable, some 80amp relays that will be implemented into the high quality two-speed fan control system that I bought, and my sequential tailight kit arrived today. Things are coming together, and while it's been a long and frustrating ride, it'll only make it that much more satisfying when I get it on the road, track, and dyno.

Reply #767
Dude....hats off to ya. I woulda flipped my lid and kicked ass lol.

Sucks about the progress (rather, lack thereof) but maybe by going to someone else, it'll have a better eye on detail, etc.

Still a bummer though. I'd be so hot I'd set off fire alarms 50 yards away, but patience is NOT a virtue I can call my own.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #768
Did you pay the guy that's had your engine anything? I'm sure he's a guy I would never do business with,and I'd keep all my friend's from him.Even if he "bit off more than he could chew",that is really bad business.I'd respect a guy who said "I'm just too busy" than to try to string me along for ages......but I wouldn't have let it go a year.I'm patient,but I have my limits.Glad to hear you have control over the project.Hopefully progress will start again soon.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #769
If he tried saying something or complaining in any way, trust me, I was ready to go off if needed.  But in all honestly, it's normally not the best way to go about things.  It's one more thing off his back, I feel better now that I have a better grasp of what's going on, and we can just move on.

You're right, it is bad business.  My dad and I were discussing that during the 45 minute drive there and back.  And I also eluded to in my post - it would've made things easier to swallow if he was just straight up and said "Hey, I screwed up and I won't be able to get to your project in a timely manner" at which point I could have decided on whether to leave it there or take it.  And no, he didn't charge for any labor.  My dad and I both wish we had realized this sooner, but you live and you learn, even at 49 years old.

Reply #770
Quote from: kingcars;327831
But in all honestly, it's normally not the best way to go about things.

:bowdown:;)
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #771
When you have the block machined, make sure they zero deck your block and pistions. Tell them what you want to have done, and if they has suggestions, look into it. I had a couple of people who paid to have the block zero decked and they took there money, but didn't do it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #772
Feels good to be updating with some pics again!  Got a few goodies to compliment the 306s soon-to-be triumphant return :)

Brand new Dakota Digital dual speed fan control system, with the included 70amp relay and a pair of 80amp DPDT relays.  Hoping to avoid what happened to my previous cheapo setup...

And I got the sequential turn signal kit:

There will be more goodies arriving in the days ahead :)

fan relays

Reply #773
Those 70amp relays look good. The 30's high current lugs are puny compared to those. That's some good stuff there!
There was some bad luck with the machinist, but the end result will be a stronger running motor. Keep at it and post more pics of the new/better build :evilgrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #774
Quote from: t.birdsc;328413
Those 70amp relays look good. The 30's high current lugs are puny compared to those. That's some good stuff there!

The thing I'm learning quickly is that all of those "I did xx project for 1/2 the price that most people pay" or "You can do this project for cheap" things never end well.  Although the setup I have pictured set me back a good bit, my dad and I are both confident that it's the right choice. 

It's also the reason my 306 build has cost way more than what most people spend on a similar setup; I always spend the extra money where it counts.  Forged pistons instead of hyper, fully remachined block, balanced rotating assembly etc...I could have just slapped some GT40Ps, 1.7 rockers and an explorer intake onto my engine for a fraction of the price, but that's just not how I roll.

Quote from: t.birdsc;328413

There was some bad luck with the machinist, but the end result will be a stronger running motor. Keep at it and post more pics of the new/better build :evilgrin:

Yeah, it was just a bad situation all around.  Hoping to be picking up my rotating assembly this evening...I'll be in shock if a deadline is actually met!!

On a random sidenote, can ANYONE tell me where I can get this intake plate?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=M9434A52+01

Tried to order it yesterday but I got a call about 40 minutes later saying that they can't get it.  I also cant find it on ebay either.

Reply #775
Those plates periodically show up on ebay , try "ford motorsport" as your search words as well as intake plate  or plaque
 if you keep an eye out I'm sure one will show up sooner or later :D
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #776
Quote from: kingcars;328467
The thing I'm learning quickly is that all of those "I did xx project for 1/2 the price that most people pay" or "You can do this project for cheap" things never end well.  Although the setup I have pictured set me back a good bit, my dad and I are both confident that it's the right choice. 

It's also the reason my 306 build has cost way more than what most people spend on a similar setup; I always spend the extra money where it counts.  Forged pistons instead of hyper, fully remachined block, balanced rotating assembly etc...I could have just slapped some GT40Ps, 1.7 rockers and an explorer intake onto my engine for a fraction of the price, but that's just not how I roll.

Yeah, it was just a bad situation all around.  Hoping to be picking up my rotating assembly this evening...I'll be in shock if a deadline is actually met!!

On a random sidenote, can ANYONE tell me where I can get this intake plate?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=M9434A52+01

Tried to order it yesterday but I got a call about 40 minutes later saying that they can't get it.  I also cant find it on ebay either.

Save your money make your own plate :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #777
Quote from: Bob;328526
Save your money make your own plate :)

That's what I did.Looks great,too.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #778
I wanna keep with the Ford OEM/factory theme...finally found someone who has it brand new, unopened.  Can't wait to see how it looks :D .

Reply #779
You mean this plate I've had for years?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.