Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138513 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #750
Quote from: kingcars;311403

As for the 306, the shop hit a snag with some oiling problems within the block so they had to add restrictors in it.

Good news to hear your getting everything worked out!
Imho, it may not be a bad idea to go and talk to the machinist. Any time they say there is an oiling problem with a motor that has had a crank wiped out, it would be a good idea to have them show you exactly what they were "restricting" before the bottom end gets buttoned up. Don't be afraid to ask them questions, you'll rest easier once the engine is in.
Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #751
Ok so we got pretty much all of the interior odds and ends done today.  I love the tripminder!  Only problem is...we can't figure out how to set the clock :hick: .  Pics coming soon...I need to clean the interior out big time first.

Reply #752
I look forward to seeing all those pretty parts finally put to use!  How did the Tripminder harness I made work out?
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #753
Harness worked out great!  Thanks :D .  Plugged in with no problem.

Reply #754
Hold the TIME button and then at the same time hold one of the little round buttons i wanna say the right one will do hours left one does minutes, could be wrong though. Date is the same way, one of em does month one does year. For the E-Time, push one of em once to start/stop, the other to reset. Again can't remember which is which, and for some reason I *usually* don't, just try it and find out pretty much every time, seriously. :rollin: E-Time will have Minutes : Seconds and then will change to Hours : Minutes when it maxes out.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #755
Yeah we got the tripminder set now.  However, it seems that the decimal point is off.  AVG speed is correct, current MPG reads 175 instead of 17.5, avg MPG reads 172.5 instead of 17.25, and fuel used reads .2 instead of 2.  Is this normal?  The numbers seem correct, but the decimal is just off...

Reply #756
MPG should only be 17.2, I don't think they had a double decimal...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #757
That's how it's been reading though.  Who knows.

Reply #758
I'm sorry to hear about the Tripminder not working properly.  It was the only nice one I had left, but I do have another I was rebuilding for myself.  It is all taken apart at the moment, but if you like, I can check to see if this one has the same issue.  If it is better I can send you the 'guts' of it if you wanted to swap out the insides and send me back the one with the faulty decimal point.  Let me know.

Ed
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #759
Thank you for the offer.  We'll have to make sure we have everything set and connected properly as well, but I'll let you know.  But doing the math, all the statistics seem to be correct with what the car should be doing.  I'm averaging around 17-18mpg, the fuel used and trip mileage coincide with that, and the real-time MPG works right in line with the amount of throttle being used (dad and I had fun watching it plummet when I got on the gas :hick: ).  I do really like that it's the green lense that matches the interior :) .

Reply #760
As some might now (those who have been following my thread on Corral), there have been issues with the machine shop.  The engine, as of 2 weeks ago, was STILL in bare block form.  This friday we will be picking it up and taking it home regardless of if it's done or not.

However, I have another problem right now.  I was planning to order the sequential turn signal kit for my bday this year but now they're all gone.  Is there any way I can get one or make my own?

Reply #762
Thanks for that link!  Have you, or anyone else on here used that kit?  Is the quality good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/C14-Sequencer-Turn-Signals-Universal-Conversion-kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef2543734QQitemZ270353577780QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This is the kit I was looking at.  A bit more expensive though.

Today I've ordered a few things in preparation for the 306's triumphant, long overdue return.  I ordered a very nice, high quality dual speed fan control from Dakota Digital along with a pair of 80 amp relays, and a new Ford Racing clutch cable.  I will also be ordering a new transmission crossmember to help eliminate the bouncing.

Reply #763
I havent ordered mine yet but there are a few guys on here as well as NATO who have had good results
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #764
Thanks for the info.  And dang, I LOVE their warranty page!  That's so awesome.

Here's the nice fan control system I got:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=641/category_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd641.htm

No more cheap puppiesanese junk with 30 amp relays for my efan.