Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138524 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #795
So it's been yet another several weeks without an update; things have been pretty hectic lately, but we're finally making some headway on the Tbird.  The main bearing and rod bearing clearances have all been checked and given the green light, so now the block will be headed out for honing and cam bearings before final assembly can finally begin.

Also, after the oil pressure fiasco with the 306 last year, I knew that this time around I would make sure to have proper gauges due to the factory gauges' finnicky nature.  We finally got around to installing them today and I love how it came out:

The stainless steel plate was made with a laser cutter, thanks to a friend at my dad's work.  After driving around for the past several months with the factory oil pressure gauge reading quite low, I was pleasantly surprised when she fired right up and idled at 30lbs (at operating temperature), and she cruises at 50lbs doing 1500rpm.  Not bad for a stock, non-rebuilt engine with 165k miles and plenty of neglect and abuse.  I love the piece of mind of seeing exactly what my engine is doing.  Tomorrow we'll be setting up the fan control system.

Reply #796
Looks good, I just ordered 2 gauges yesterday to do the same thing.. Tired of the low high stock gauges too..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #797

Installed the Dakota Digital dual speed fan control setup today.  Such an awesome setup, and has a preset setting for reading off the auto meter temp gauge.  Going down the road, she doesnt even need the high speed; just kinda goes between low and off.  Just gotta make a cover for the relays in the engine bay.

Reply #798
I really like your car!  I'm also in NC (Charlotte area) and noticed that you did the 5 speed swap.  Do you still have any of your automatic parts?  Like shifter and linkage?

Would love to see the car in person sometime!

Reply #799
I'm pretty sure I've got some of those parts laying around somewhere, I'll go take a look tomorrow after work.  Thanks for the compliment!  I'm about an hour and a half from Charlotte and might be moving there sometime in the near future.

Reply #800
Looks great!  Very clean install of everything.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #801
Thanks!  The brakes and rear axle/wheel bearings need to be done next, then we should be ready to go full bore and finish off the 306 project.

Reply #802
Shredder - just sent you a PM

306 block is now being honed and should be back in my hands by mid week next week, ready for final assembly.  Woooooo!

Reply #803
Got it.  Replied.  I would love to catch up sometime.  Can't wait to see your car in person!  Once you get it running again we will meet up at a show or something.

Reply #804
Wow, so I've been gone for a while...looks like I missed out on quite a bit!  I'm glad to see the forum stayed afloat :) . Anyways, after a long long journey, things are finally starting to look good.  I finally stumbled across the possible initial failure point of the 306, while wiping down my old lifters a couple of weeks ago:

Apparently, the cam walked back slightly and started gouging the lifters.  The lifters are obviously done for, but the cam is still in good shape luckily.  So with all of that out of the way.....

She's baaaaaaaaaaack :D .  Got the short block cleaned and assembled today, installed and degreed the cam, and got the heads torqued down.  Expect some nearly complete photos tomorrow.  Estimated date of installation:  November 27th.  Stay tuned.

Reply #805
Cool man glad your getting close.. I know exactly how you feel ( or felt ) during the Whole process .. Good job with seeing it through
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #806
Good to see you are still working towards your goal!  Your car is one of my favs on the forum.  Post up plenty of pics when you get finished.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #807
Wow.  Your lifters got wiped out from cam walk?  Make sure that cam thrust plate is the right kind for your billet steel cam sprocket.  Also, make sure your cam bolt is tightened to the correct spec so it doesn't happen again.

Looks great!  I have a smallblock in a similar stage.  But just waiting for the car to get painted. :)

Stay with it!

Reply #808
Thrust plate torque is very small if I'm remembering correctly... like 10 lb? Did the machine shop explain how this happened?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #809
Giggidy giggidy
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~