Skip to main content
Topic: eBay went and kicked the bucket! (Read 4397 times) previous topic - next topic

eBay went and kicked the bucket!

Reply #15
Tom, for your one bad experience with a seller I have 100 bad buyer experiences.

Anybody who thinks that a buyer should receive feedback as soon as the payment is completed is an idiot. The transaction is NOT completed until the buyer has the item.

If I were to leave feedback immediately it would strip me of any protection against:
  • Stupid feedbacks from a buyer who thought that my shipping costs were too high (I actually lose money on shipping)
  • Premature feedbacks from customers who think that shipping took too long (buyer pays cheapest shipping then expects overnight delivery) - once the post office has the item it's out of my hands, but unreasonable customers don't see it that way
  • Buyers that do a chargeback immediately upon receiving the positive feedback, after it's too late for the seller to not ship the item.
  • Buyers that don't pay after stringing me along for a month claiming payment is on the way (actually, fear of retaliatory feedback already prevents most sellers from leaving feedback for unpaid items)
  • Buyers who refuse to pay shipping after doing "BUY IT NOW"
  • Buyers who do "BUY IT NOW", then demand discounts
  • Buyers who buy for the sole purpose of leaving negative feedback after they've been negged and blocked from bidding under a different user ID
eBay makes their money from SELLERS. Not buyers. Sellers pay ALL the fees. Sellers are eBay's customers, and eBay is now showing just how much it doesn't give a shiznit about its customers. SELLERS bear 99% of the risk in a transaction - 100% where credit card transactions are concerned (and 99% of my customers pay via credit card). I'd venture to say that the vast majority of fraudulent sellers are those who have hijacked others' eBay accounts through phishing, sell a load of stuff, then fvck off with the money.

Yes, there are a few honest-to-goodness bad sellers out there, but that's what the feedback system is for. The bad sellers are FAR outweighed by bad buyers. I've dealt with a bad seller or two myself, and left negative feedback, and was quickly rewarded with a retaliatory neg, but that's the way things are. In order for any feedback system to be worthwhile BOTH parties must be able to say what they want, without eBay nannying over one group.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #16
Quote from: Cougar5.0;201005
Many sellers will not give feedback until you give them a "positive" feedback.

They basically hold the buyer hostage.

If the buyer validly leaves negative feedback, the seller would ALWAYS have the option to leave a negative feedback in return due to their "withholding" feedback technique.

Sellers are BLACKMAILING buyers - and I, for one, hate that sleazy tactic.

There has to be a better way to discourage non-paying buyers than to have a system that is ripe for abuse.

JMHO.

Yeah. I don't like the feedback system as it is very much.

I don't sell much, but I do buy a lot. And yes, I have had a lot of sellers that WILL NOT leave you feedback until you leave some for them.

Hell- I've seen instances where people left a negative for a seller because their item was wrong, damaged, whatever...and the seller turns around and leaves the buyer a negative feedback and calls them a "bad ebayer." That sort of thing shouldn't be allowed.

I had a guy a couple years ago- I bought some -8 AN lines from him, when I got them I didn't get the same ones pictured in the auction. I e-mailed the guy and told him about it and he goes, "Oh well, I guess I mixed them up with another order, nothing can do about it now." So I left him a neutral feedback, the next day he e-mails me back, and says "Thanks a lot, you ruined my perfect feedback (which I didn't, since neutrals don't count), I could have worked something out with you if you would have just let me know, blah blah blah" I said, "wait a minute- You told me there was nothing you could do about it!" Thank God he had already left me a positive feedback, because he probably would have left me a negative for no good reason.

It looks to me like the fees are getting ridiculous. Guess I won't be selling much of anything now.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #17
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;201019
NOPE... Probably the ratio of bad buyers to bad sellers is very high, but there are shiznit head sellers as well...

For instance I bought a book I never got, the seller did finally send the wrong one and when I opened a dispute, his account was closed...

There's definitely bad sellers! But this feedback/fee structure is going to ensure that the bad ones are all that's left.

Reply #18
"reducing Insertion Fees and adjusting Final Value Fees to lower"

Wisely written. I didn't check into the specifics yet but the message led me to believe they were "reducing" and "lowering" the fees for a change. Silly me.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #19
I've seen countless auctions where the seller proclaims that if a buyer leaves negative feedback, the seller will do the same to the buyer. This is sleazy and wrong. Will this change fix that? I don't know. But ebay has definitely become a magnet for sleazy sellers, and they're ruining it for the good ones.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #20
the whole ebay buying/selling experience seems to be a mess anymore in my opinion. nothing but feedback blackmail, insane shipping charges, buddie bidding and P.O. box addresses. my friend who was a member since 99 or so just lost his account this year because of shady paypal dickery.
i hope they do fall apart and die while i sell my stuff locally on craigslist for FREEEEEEEEE:flip:
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #21
when it comes to bad sellers, jugge judy can lay down the law!

this is how dishonest currupted and just plain old low-down people can be and try to weasle thier way out of it. this is the reason i try to avoid purchasing through ebay.

http://www.vivalagames.com/view/ebayscammer/

i've only bought one thing, those heads, off ebay and have been fairly satisfied. i'm coming to find out they werent as honest about some things like springs and stuff like that. i didnt buy a loaded head so i could just buy springs, retainers and locks later on.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #22
I have been scammed on ebay (never got product) from a seller never from a buyer. Out of $50 like that. The member had 1,800 Positives.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #23
Quote from: grutinator;201106
when it comes to bad sellers, jugge judy can lay down the law!

this is how dishonest currupted and just plain old low-down people can be and try to weasle thier way out of it. this is the reason i try to avoid purchasing through ebay.

http://www.vivalagames.com/view/ebayscammer/

Wow, that woman got owned.  :flame: :toilet: :flip:

As long as you're careful with what you purchase and who you're purchasing from, it's not so bad.  I remember when I got my 3.27 ratio gears from ebay, the guy sent them out and when it got to us, there was a huge hole in the side of the box and it weighed just as heavy as an empty cardboard box was.  However, it wasn't the seller's fault because on the box's label, it stated that it weighed 15lb I think it was...you get the idea.  So we notified the seller with this and FedEx really didnt do much (one reason I prefer UPS), but the guy replied to our email while he was on vacation, and right when he got back, he sent us another set of 3.27s.  There are plenty of legit people on ebay, you just gotta know where to look.  (On a side note, those gears are finally being installed tomorrow morning)

However, that new rule is a load of shiznit.  Wow.  Might as well not even allow feedback...

Reply #24
Yeah, that's been my biggest issue so far on Ebay - amateurs who have no idea how to package the item. Well, that and USPS would NOT accept responsibility for damaging the package even tough I found it in the middle of the road run over by a car. The UPS damaged stuff was covered by insurance.

I'd say 1/3 of the stuff I've bought from Ebay has been damaged due to poor packaging.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #25
Quote from: dominator;200965
Guys that doesn't suck.
That's awesome,it says buyers not sellers.
You know how many times i've had a bad or misrepresented product from a seller and threatened a negitive on him, only for him to say fine i'll just leave you one back.
This negates that option for the seller to just retaliate for no good reason and leave the buyer a negative when the problem started at the seller.

I agree.  This change in ebay policy is a good thing.  Feedback for buyers is fairly meaningless in the greater scheme of things.
Robert

- too many '80s Capris and mid-'70s Cougars

Reply #26
Here's another dork seller...I messaged him three days ago telling him it was a '74(prob from a LTD) radio NOT an original '68...

Did he add this to his auction????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200194942260&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

You guys that KNOW what you are selling generally say so... I buy lots of old radio items and see all sorts of rediclous claims... Many are just plain ignorant, but also many only picture the item from the best angle or have poor pictures... I've learned to avoid these guys...

Reply #27
"Those guys" will be the only ones left selling on eBay. All of the honest sellers that are left will leave after this takes effect.

Reply #28
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;201181
All of the honest sellers that are left will leave after this takes effect.

Why would honest sellers leave?
Robert

- too many '80s Capris and mid-'70s Cougars

Reply #29
Because no matter how honest sellers are, dipshiznit buyers will neg them. For example, I live in Canada and when I ship items to USA there's often a delay at the US border. That's a problem with your government, not my business practices. Who do you think will receive the negative feedbacks for it, though? So after receiving a few negative feedbacks from idiot buyers through no fault of my own I'll be booted. eBay is also going to start booting anyone who gets more than a few negs OR NEUTRALS (yep, eBay has confirmed it - Neutral = Negative) in 90 days. Because dipshiznit buyers can now punish honest sellers for no reason whatsoever and with absolutely no fear of retribution, the honest sellers will leave (or be driven out).

Meanwhile, the ones that are actually scamming people are usually doing so with hijacked ID's. They don't give a  about feedback ratings because they'll just move on to another stolen ID.

Ebay is going by the obsolete "Customer is always right" attitude. An attitude that any business school will tell you is a surefire way to go out of business. The customer is certainly NOT always right, and any business owner, indeed, anyone who works in retail, will verify that.

What eBay is now doing is akin to passing a law that allows customers to go into retail establishments and demand discounts or special treatment, threatening that if they don't get it they'll put a sign up in front of the store saying they were ripped off, and making it so that the store owner can do nothing about it. They are essentially opening up a Pandora's box of blackmail possibilities.

Reasonable people who only buy and don't sell can't be expected to understand. Now, with nothing stopping them from slandering sellers, they can't even be expected to be reasonable.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣