Skip to main content
Topic: eBay went and kicked the bucket! (Read 4412 times) previous topic - next topic

eBay went and kicked the bucket!

Reply #30
DIShonest Buyers. We no longer have any sort of recourse whatsoever. What do I do when somebody threatens a neg unless I give them free shipping? (Has happened to me over a dozen times in the last year) What do I do when a dishonest person tries for a negligent chargeback? (Visa stopped that one no thanks to eBay, if it had been a PayPal auction I'd be up a creek). What happens when they never pay? (Happened at least thirty times, seller's are out the listing and FVF fees and the first NPB complaint from each seller is ignored!)

This takes the final recourse from sellers away. eBay will look like it's sister (half.com), a sea of giant sellers (who move 1,000's of items/month) who move so much product that negatives won't affect them. They will continue to not give a  about customers.

All of the "small guys" that follow the rules and DO try to make the buyer happy will leave under increasing fee pressure and lack of support.

ALL of the "bad sellers" mentioned in the above posts are off-s warehouse companies or huge retailers/resellers here that just don't care.

Reply #31
Anybody who thinks that a buyer should receive feedback as soon as the payment is completed is an idiot.

I guess I am an idiot then because that's exactly what I think. As soon as the seller has my money, I have fulfilled my part of the transaction. The rest is up to the seller. I agree the seller is then exposed to scammers, but that's part of the risk of selling. It's sad there are dishonest buyers out there, but that is no reason for a seller to hold my feedback hostage. I have paid my money and expect my rightly deserved positive feedback right away.

Having said all of that, this new plan is not going to fix any of those problems. It is not fair to the sellers, myself included as I have sold several cars, snowmobiles, parts, etc on eBay. The feedback system needs some sort of overhaul, not this, but something....
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #32
I must be an idiot also. I almost never had a seller on ebay leave positive feed back after I have paid. Lets not forget that I always used a Pay Pal account that had cash in it.. Never credit card..So if I paid in cash then I am intitalled to positive feed back as I fulfiled my side of deal. I am very resonable with the expectations of shipping. So when seller ships promptly as promised and it is packaged well, then positive feed back can be left.

Reply #33
I've had 2 experiences where I was a buyer and the seller did not send the item....Both payments were by M.O.  One was eBay, the other was HERE at about the time we switched over from the Sleezyboard.  Both transactions involved so little money that it wasn't even worth pursuing....The one here the guy never came back.

Here's the thread.....http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735

I even think I have the M.O. receipt still.  It should be in my night stand.  This was way before the feedback section so I really didn't want to post it.  E-mails were sent without reply.....
Beware [COLOR="SandyBrown"]85 4 eye.[/COLOR]  As I said he hasn't posted in almost 3 years, but he may be in other places.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #34
Quote from: FLSTCI71;201257
I guess I am an idiot then because that's exactly what I think. As soon as the seller has my money, I have fulfilled my part of the transaction. The rest is up to the seller. I agree the seller is then exposed to scammers, but that's part of the risk of selling. It's sad there are dishonest buyers out there, but that is no reason for a seller to hold my feedback hostage. I have paid my money and expect my rightly deserved positive feedback right away.

Having said all of that, this new plan is not going to fix any of those problems. It is not fair to the sellers, myself included as I have sold several cars, snowmobiles, parts, etc on eBay. The feedback system needs some sort of overhaul, not this, but something....

Quote from: chas jr;201260
I must be an idiot also. I almost never had a seller on ebay leave positive feed back after I have paid. Lets not forget that I always used a Pay Pal account that had cash in it.. Never credit card..So if I paid in cash then I am intitalled to positive feed back as I fulfiled my side of deal. I am very resonable with the expectations of shipping. So when seller ships promptly as promised and it is packaged well, then positive feed back can be left.

No, you haven't fulfilled your part of the deal, neither of you, because I don't know you from Adam and you could still commit fraud after your payment was sent (once you've got  a tracking number and a positive, what's stopping you?), and if I can't leave you a neg I've got no way of warning others - no bargaining chip, no deterrence. Or you could start making unreasonable demands such as refunded shipping, or demanding that I send the item via priority mail instead of the basic ground shipping that you paid for, or demanding that extra parts are included at no extra cost.

How about the guy who buys on October 31st, and doesn't pay until Dec 15th, and even then only after I pester him for six weeks and file a non-paying bidder alert? Should he automatically get a positive just because he paid?

I've had, on at least two occasions, people buy my sequencers and when they received them they wrote me back all pissed off that they didn't receive a full set of tail lights, demanding full refunds (and in one case didn't even want to send the sequencer back, he just wanted his money back). My eBay auctions are very detailed as to whats included and what isn't. Why should I be out listing fees, final value fees, and shipping fees, for some other idiot's mistake?!?!? The fact that I could still leave negatives against them (and very well deserved negatives) were the only things that prevented them from leaving negs (and very UNdeserved negs) against me.

On another occasion I had a person demand that I pay his installation charges because he couldn't handle the installation himself (that one actually did leave me a negative saying that the kit was great but that he had to pay to have it installed, without even contacting me until after he left it, and I left him one right back, calling him an unreasonable customer with unreasonable demands - was that wrong of me?).

Several times a week, and during busy times several times a day, I have customers writing me, moaning that their package hasn't arrived yet. Most are polite, simply asking for an update, but there are those few (who, sadly, are not so few) who are rude, and write in a manner such as "I bought this a week ago and it still hasn't arrived. Get back to me immediately or I'm filing fraud charges". I also very often get people saying "I bought this a week ago and haven't heard from you at all since", which is utter bullshiznit because not only do I write people the moment I've turned my computer on and received their purchase confirmation, but when I print a shipping label Canada Post emails the buyer with shipping info as well. Now, my auctions clearly state shipping times from Canada to USA. These shipping times are Canada Post's shipping standards, taken right off their website. My auctions further explain this by going into great detail about US customs delays, especially in this post 9/11 world. My auctions offer two shipping methods: Slow and fast. When somebody pays for slow shipping they're gonna get slow shipping. With every single item purchased from me I send the buyer an email explaining the shipping times all over again, knowing full well they didn't bother reading it in the auction. Once I've given the parcel to the post office it is out of my control. I cannot call the mailman on his cell phone and tell him to hurry up. Tell me what I've done that's unreasonable, yet now with no fear of retribution I'll surely receive negative feedbacks over it.

The bottom line is this: I should have the right to warn fellow sellers against doing business with douche-bag buyers just as buyers should be able to warn other buyers against doing business with douche-bag sellers. And just like buyers, I should have the right to decide when, if, and what kind of feedback I'm going to leave.

Just because you paid doesn't mean you were a pleasant experience.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #35
Afreakingmen Carm. I couldn't agree more!

Reply #36
Thunder Chicken, everything you say about being exposed is true. However, from an honest buyer's perspective, bottom line, you have my money, so I have fulfilled my part of the deal. You're still holding my feedback hostage. That's why the feedback system is a joke and the new announcement makes it even worse.

I sort of feel sorry for you because it sounds like a lot of your customers are whining scammers. Wait a minute, I bought a sequencer from you and was very happy with the transaction. Well, I guess some of your customers are cool.

I am not the enemy here as I sell on eBay too. Obviously, I don't sell as much as you, but I do sell. I don't disagree that you have exposures, but that's life on the internet. If the risks are too great, then don't use eBay. I sell at car shows, swap meets, other websites, Hemmings, Old Cars, etc. There are a lot of things I wouldn't list on eBay because I don't feel the risk is worth it. You're in Canada, so you have one strike against you due to shipping delays. I don't know what the fix is for that, but holding my feedback hostage is not the answer.

I hope all of the negative feedback to eBay (pun intended) causes them to reverse this announcement and come up with something better. You are right, the sellers are eBay's customers, not the buyers and this latest decision makes a bad system even worse.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #37
Quote from: FLSTCI71;201354
Thunder Chicken, everything you say about being exposed is true. However, from an honest buyer's perspective, bottom line, you have my money, so I have fulfilled my part of the deal. You're still holding my feedback hostage. That's why the feedback system is a joke and the new announcement makes it even worse.

From an honest buyer's perspective, perhaps, but I have no way of telling who is an honest buyer and who isn't (and not being able to leave negative feedback will make it so I have no way of pointing the bad apples out to others). One might pay today, but he might do a chargeback Monday. Or next week. Or next month, after he's received the item.
I sort of feel sorry for you because it sounds like a lot of your customers are whining scammers. Wait a minute, I bought a sequencer from you and was very happy with the transaction. Well, I guess some of your customers are cool.
Yes, most of my customers are cool. My 1600+ positive feedback and two negs shows that most of my transactions go well. Unfortunately when people look at feedback they don't care about the positives, they only want to see the negatives. The new system will pretty much guarantee more negatives.

I am not the enemy here as I sell on eBay too. Obviously, I don't sell as much as you, but I do sell. I don't disagree that you have exposures, but that's life on the internet. If the risks are too great, then don't use eBay. I sell at car shows, swap meets, other websites, Hemmings, Old Cars, etc. There are a lot of things I wouldn't list on eBay because I don't feel the risk is worth it. You're in Canada, so you have one strike against you due to shipping delays. I don't know what the fix is for that, but holding my feedback hostage is not the answer.

When a feedback is left for me I leave one for the buyer. I started doing this two years after selling because I used to leave feedback for everybody but noticed that the ratio of feedback I was leaving to feedback I was receiving was about 10:1. I figured if people couldn't be bothered leaving it for me I couldn't be bothered leaving it for them.

As for holding feedback hostage: I am not holding your feedback hostage, I am preventing you from holding MINE hostage. Or at least I was, until this stupidity came about. As a seller, feedback is much more important to me than it is to a buyer.

I hope all of the negative feedback to eBay (pun intended) causes them to reverse this announcement and come up with something better. You are right, the sellers are eBay's customers, not the buyers and this latest decision makes a bad system even worse.

That's just it. The feedback system was always flawed, but at least it was equal. It's kinda like nuclear weapons - nobody wants to use 'em because if they do, one will be coming right back at them. That balance is now being removed. Buyers are free to nuke whoever they please for whatever reason they please with no means of retribution.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #38
Well, I was also another of your "silent" satisfied customers TC.

I'm sorry and a little bit annoyed that this debate is being dominated by those who have the biggest bone to pick. I am a very conscientious buyer and I am offended that sellers won't give me positive feedback once I have upheld my end of the agreement. Holding me hostage based on a few bad apples is BAD FORM in my opinion. The GOOD EBAYERS, who are by far the majority in my opinion, should receive the benefit of the doubt IMO. I do not want to be lumped in with the scammers and whiners, thank you very much.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #39
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;201344

On another occasion I had a person demand that I pay his installation charges because he couldn't handle the installation himself (that one actually did leave me a negative saying that the kit was great but that he had to pay to have it installed, without even contacting me until after he left it, and I left him one right back, calling him an unreasonable customer with unreasonable demands - was that wrong of me?).

Was he stupid or something? I'm no electrical wiz and the kit was easy as hell to install. I mean come on match color coded wires. Geesh :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #40
Quote from: Cougar5.0;201388
Well, I was also another of your "silent" satisfied customers TC.

I'm sorry and a little bit annoyed that this debate is being dominated by those who have the biggest bone to pick. I am a very conscientious buyer and I am offended that sellers won't give me positive feedback once I have upheld my end of the agreement. Holding me hostage based on a few bad apples is BAD FORM in my opinion. The GOOD EBAYERS, who are by far the majority in my opinion, should receive the benefit of the doubt IMO. I do not want to be lumped in with the scammers and whiners, thank you very much.

Just a note, the feedback system is 100% OPTIONAL. I don't have to give you feedback, at all, period. So there is no "hostage holding".

Reply #41
Good Ebay seller:

POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be given to buyer ONCE we received FULL PAYMENT.

Non-Paying Bidder will receive UNPAID DISPUTE from eBay.

FEEDBACK
We will give POSITIVE feedback as soon as payment is received. We take pride in our actions and hope you will continue to bid on our future auctions. Customer satisfaction is our #1 priority and if you are not satisfied in any way with your purchase, please contact us before feedback is left so we can resolve the situation properly.

Annoying blackmail using Ebay seller:

Feedback will be left once you have received your part and have left feedback for us. If you choose to leave negative or neutral feedback without contacting us to try and resolve an issue, we will leave negative feedback for you. We want every transaction to be as pleasant and fun as possible and are willing to do what ever we can (within reason) to resolve any problems that may arise. Please call our toll free phone number 1-888-925-7669 or email us @ gostanggo@aol.com if you have any issues with our product or service.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-289-302-351-SCORPION-ROLLER-ROCKERS-7-16-STD-1-7_W0QQitemZ140203893634QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140203893634
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #42
Quote from: eBay Feedback Policy;201457

While leaving Feedback is voluntary, eBay encourages all members to leave Feedback after each transaction is complete. There are different philosophies on whether the buyer or seller should leave Feedback first. Each member may choose the best approach to leaving Feedback for them.

eBay's Feedback-related policies are designed to encourage open and honest trading. However, to ensure that Feedback is used for the proper purpose and not abused, eBay has some basic rules that must be followed.

Members cannot undermine the Feedback system using practices such as:

*Feedback Extortion - Threatening to leave negative or neutral feedback for another member unless the other member provides goods or services not included in the original listing
    *Feedback Manipulation - Feedback left or received where the Feedback’s primary value is to artificially enhance a member’s reputation
    *Feedback in Seller Terms and Conditions - Sellers are not permitted to include in their listings or terms of sale any conditions that limit or restrict the buyer from leaving Feedback.

Violations of eBay’s policies may result in a range of actions including:

*      Listing cancellation
    *      Limits on account privileges
    *      Account suspension
    *      Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
    *      Loss of PowerSeller status

All three of your sellers there are in direct violation of eBay's Feedback Policy.

Please note that Feedback Extortion and Manipulation are both to protect the SELLER and will now run rampant.

Also note that the feedback system is VOLUNTARY. The SELLER has [COLOR="Red"]NO[/COLOR] requirement to leave you (the buyer) feedback at all. It is not being "held hostage".

Reply #43
NO ONE HAS TO LEAVE FEED BACK.................................
The idea of the feed back system is designed to warn as well as let others know how transactions had gone. From what I see of all the sellers saying they have bad experiences ruin it for the honest guy who will do what is right. If there is a problem with the item I buy I contact the seller to resolve. I have fortunately not had any real bad experiences buying. The seller states what he has to offfer accurately then buyer should not complain if it is not as expected or needs to ask before bidding. There are just too many dishonest people in this world any more.

Reply #44
-John Fordham

1993 Cougar XR7 302 HO AOD
245,000 miles and still running strong

2005 F-150 FX4 SuperCab 5.4L