Skip to main content
Topic: eBay went and kicked the bucket! (Read 4411 times) previous topic - next topic

eBay went and kicked the bucket!

Quote from: eBay

Seller Update: Fees, Rewards & Standards
eBay buyers want value and selection from sellers they can trust--and good sellers deserve rewards for delivering great customer service. That's why we're making a number of important changes that may affect you:
Reduced Listing Fees
You asked, we listened. We're reducing Insertion Fees and adjusting Final Value Fees to lower your up-front cost to sell on eBay. You wanted free Gallery, now you've got it--plus more feature discounts.
Lower Insertion Fees
Making Gallery free
Lower fees for Gallery Plus, Picture Pack, and Feature Plus

Rewards for great sellers
There will be discounts and incentives for those who satisfy customers best. Who decides who gets rewarded? Customers do, by giving sellers high Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs).
More search exposure through Best Match
Fee discounts for PowerSellers
Increased protection for PowerSellers

Feedback Changes
Significant changes coming soon will increase buyer confidence and showcase good sellers.
Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.
Positive repeat customer Feedback will count and Feedback more than 12 months old won't.
Negative and neutral Feedback left by the buyer will be removed for transactions in which a buyer doesn't respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) or if the member is suspended.

For more details on how these changes may affect you, attend a special Seller Webinar at 10:00 a.m. this Friday, February 1. You may also see announcements from eBay executives on the Announcement Board.

That's it, I'm done. HTF are we supposed to know about buyer's bad transactions if they can only get Positives?!?!?!?? eBay has lost their  minds....

Reply #1
I saw that. Thats nuts. Whats the point in having feedback at all if everything is gonna be good?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #2
How will that increase buyer confidence?  The best thing about eBay was the feedback, now it's going to hell.  This is apocalyptic.

Reply #3
Well that sucks.........
1987 Tbird 5.0 swap, go fast mods coming soon....

Reply #4
There is hell to pay for it on the eBay message boards. I predict eBay will reverse that monumentally stupid decision...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
Guys that doesn't suck.
That's awesome,it says buyers not sellers.
You know how many times i've had a bad or misrepresented product from a seller and threatened a negitive on him, only for him to say fine i'll just leave you one back.
This negates that option for the seller to just retaliate for no good reason and leave the buyer a negative when the problem started at the seller.

Reply #6
99.9% of buyers with negative feedbacks deserve them.

You "threatening" a negative is actually against the eBay User Agreement. Either leave it or don't, you can't "threaten to leave it" as a bargaining chip. If the seller deserved it, he will have to deal with it through eBay and PayPal (which actually works from the buyers side about 75-80% of the time in my observance).

This leaves seller's no recourse whatsoever and paints the picture that every buyer is some sort of saint, which is BULL. Do you know how many deadbeat bidders there are that NEVER pay? Or how much of a hassle it is to get the Final Value Fee refunded?

This is . eBay will change the policy back, or be dead and bankrupt by the end of the year.

Reply #7
Yeah I think it's crazy too! I think what Ebay was thinking is if you see a buyer with X amount of transactions and no feedback then they are a bad buyer. They are trying to use feedback for the Buyer as a reward. Like being a kid an acspoogeulating gold stars.

Reply #8
That's not the only thing! The FVF (Final Value Fee, percentage of the sale eBay charges to the sellers) is going up from 5.25% to 8.75%!! Add in PayPal's 3%-5% and now you have to be making a 15% profit gross to net 1%-3%!!!

I am oh so definitely done. Wonder how popular Google auctions will be?

Reply #9
I didn't even know Google auctions existed!

Reply #10
Quote from: dominator;200965
Guys that doesn't suck.
That's awesome,it says buyers not sellers.
You know how many times i've had a bad or misrepresented product from a seller and threatened a negitive on him, only for him to say fine i'll just leave you one back.
This negates that option for the seller to just retaliate for no good reason and leave the buyer a negative when the problem started at the seller.

It sucks, and is stupid beyond comprehension. Now when I have a non-paying bidder I have no recourse and no way of warning other sellers. Now when I have a buyer making unreasonable demands (such as "Give me free shipping or I'll neg you" - and believe me, it does happen) I'll have no recourse. Now when I have a buyer writing me two days after the auction ended bitching because they haven't received their item yet there is nothing to stop them from leaving me unreasonable negs. Now if somebody buys something from me and then does a fraudulent credit card chargeback even with proof they received the item I have no means of warning people.

I can tell you with not even a tiny bit of doubt that buyers will use this to take advantage of, threaten, and blackmail sellers. Having sold on eBay for 8 years I can also tell you that sellers are not the problem. Buyers are. Non-paying bidders who leave negs when you neg them. Buyers doing fraudulent chargebacks. I'd bet that for every bad seller there are 100 bad buyers.

Mike has it right: This stupid move could well be the end of eBay. It has undermined the whole feedback system. I can well see a mass migration to Amazon auctions if eBay doesn't reverse this stupidity. There is outrage all over eBay's own boards, and as this thread demonstrates, the outrage is spreading into other message forums all over the world. People have long been complaining that eBay has been getting worse and worse to do business with. High fees, shiznitty customer support (the sellers are their customers, not the buyers), indifferent attitudes toward fraud, seemingly "make-it-up-as-they-go" listing rules, and now this.

Either eBay will rescind this idiocy or die. Or, I can also see, they'll be taken to court. Forcing sellers to leave positive feedback is a free speech thing.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
Many sellers will not give feedback until you give them a "positive" feedback.

They basically hold the buyer hostage.

If the buyer validly leaves negative feedback, the seller would ALWAYS have the option to leave a negative feedback in return due to their "withholding" feedback technique.

Sellers are BLACKMAILING buyers - and I, for one, hate that sleazy tactic.

There has to be a better way to discourage non-paying buyers than to have a system that is ripe for abuse.

JMHO.

Also note:
Negative and neutral Feedback left by the buyer will be removed for transactions in which a buyer doesn't respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) or if the member is suspended.

So there is protection for the seller from the nonpaying buyer who is a dick head.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #12
The rating system on eBay is a joke anyway. Buyers and sellers alike use it to threaten each other. I can't count how many times I have read in an auction: "I won't leave feedback until I receive feedback"

If the system worked the way they intended the seller would have to leave feedback before the buyer could. Feedback for a buyer is supposed to be a direct reflection of how well they kept their end of the deal. (Paid on time, in the manner requested, etc...) Feedback for the seller should reflect how well they did. (Shipping time, condition of part, etc...)

People on both sides of the deal play the "system". In my opinion, never spend more money on an eBay deal than your willing to loose, burn, or throw away. I have had dealings that turned out to be just that, money wasted and other that were great value....but that's the chance you take.

Ray

Reply #13
WRONG

I have to disagree there man. BUYERS all the problem. The first Unpaid Item Strike doesn't even count! So every single freaking non-paying little kid that wins an auction is going to neg the Seller, with no recourse for the seller. He's out his listing and FVF fees, and has a neg that WON'T go away even if he DOES file a NPB Strike.

Carm hit the nail on the head on fraudulent charge-backs. eBay (and PayPal) have no protection from this at all. Even if you have the signature from the buyer when the package was delivered you have no "proof" to them. So now you're out the fees (listing, final value, AND PayPal, on top of whatever the bank/credit card company charges you for the chargeback), the item, nobody will help you, AND on top of that you can't warn anybody else? Come on man, be reasonable!

Do you know how many buyers make "demands"? Or pull stunts like sending only the auction price (without the shipping fees)? It happens more and more every week on eBay.

As a buyer, I *always* leave feedback first, as soon as the item arrives and I've used it/made sure it worked/etc. No worries from ME about getting a neg in return, the seller got my cash and a positive, he's going to leave the same in kind.

Now if a seller deserves a negative, and I've left it, I know I'm getting a neg back. 75% of the time they immediately pay for the "mutual withdrawal" (which is BS, they should stay period). The other times the seller has either been kicked off of eBay (which shows on the feedbacks) or I get to leave a "response" to my feedback.

So if I'm a seller checking out a bidder, and he has negatives that say things like "chargeback, underpaid, shipping extortionist, etc" I block them. How am I supposed to know any of that now? Everybody will be a little 100% perfect buyer kitteh. SCREW THAT!

This will kill eBay. I'll be happy to bring this thread back from the dead on that day!

Reply #14
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;201011
WRONG

I have to disagree there man. BUYERS all the problem.

NOPE... Probably the ratio of bad buyers to bad sellers is very high, but there are shiznit head sellers as well...

For instance I bought a book I never got, the seller did finally send the wrong one and when I opened a dispute, his account was closed...