Skip to main content
Topic: I really HATE the 2.3 !! (Read 24908 times) previous topic - next topic

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #195
So the argument is which engine sucks more while sucking less?

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #196
Quote from: stuntmannick;201160
So the argument is which engine sucks more while sucking less?

Since the 2.3T isn't running on vacuum under load, I'd say it's the 5.0L that's sucks more. :hick:

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #197
Quote from: oldraven;201172
Since the 2.3T isn't running on vacuum under load, I'd say it's the 5.0L that's sucks more. :hick:

And that's a hard one to argue with...

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #198
The 2.3 swallows a lot for it's size though:hick:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #199
Well at least BOTH swallow and neither....uh nevermind lets not go there :giggle:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #200
Quote from: V8Demon;201199
The 2.3 swallows a lot for it's size though:hick:

Then shiznits it self.
First and last post on this one.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #201
No cuddling afterwards!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #202
Quote from: V8Demon;201225
No cuddling afterwards!

You gotta cuddle with the 2.3L, we all know how they don't like to be shut off hot.
It's Gumby's fault.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #203
That's different.....If you shut me off while I'm hot certain parts turn blue.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #204
5.0's more fun... Or so I'll say only owning two v-8's and two v-6 cougars thus far...

However, I am building my new tbird motor as a 5.0, not the v-6.

Really I guess I just wanted to say that the v-6 sucks.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #205
Quote from: V8Demon;201238
That's different.....If you shut me off while I'm hot certain parts turn blue.

You're lucky you're not a 2.3T, and those 'certain parts' don't crack. :eek:

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #206
So this thread is still running ?

Oh well to backup my original post, Aero, you are probably correct as I did a leak down test, 18% loss. Therefore 700 miles later I may or may not have broken rings. Unless of course they are not seated.

At any rate 2 TFI's later and 3 PIP's the car now runs all out with no issues in the upper gears...smooth boost all the way up to 22 PSI.
Guess it was an Ignition issue. (Motorcraft Parts were used, Echlin TFI worked, and the Motorcraft PIP)

I have connected 2 Valves to the IC pipes (BPV at the lower end and BOV right before the throttle body) This has almost completely stopped the Trailer Hitching I experianced when I let of the throttle.

So now I will beat the living  out of it till it piss's me off again, and see if the rings seat. Or blow it up whichever comes first.

Then I will drop in the 165,000 mile bottom end in and see how long that lasts.

Then I will go V8, maybe something big, I havent decided yet....Hmmmmm
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #207
They seated, then broke. It's the tenth or so one I've heard about in the last 2 years (and at least 7, including my engine, were confirmed). I honestly think they're might be a manufacturing problem. What brand/part # rings are they?

Beat on it, but it's going to blow oil everywhere like the Valdez.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #208
The rings are Perfect Circle, of which I believe are made by Mahle.

Yeah it is blowing oil all over, I am rigging up a pcv from under the lower intake to run into a catch can and then into the front of the turbo. Blocking off the port in the upper. for now.

thing leaving oil stains everywhere.........
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #209
Grab the Summit branded catch can. I ran a hose from the valve cover (aftermarket Esslinger one, it had no breather hole but a tapped hole in front) to the can and one from the PVC to the can (blocked off the intake fitting).

Perfect Circle's are made by Mahle, and that's what I used as well (Mahle bearings too).