Skip to main content
Topic: I really HATE the 2.3 !! (Read 24910 times) previous topic - next topic

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #165
HOLY SMACK 165 post in 2 days gotta admit I did read them all yet but it is interesting

I am a V8 guy and did own a turbo coupe year’s back friend of mine now has the motor (not goanna get into that story).
But what’s the weight difference between the 5.0 and the 2.3 and weight ratio from front to rear wheels. I’m sure that might be a plus 1 for the 2.3 side.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #166
I dont have actual numbers, but I am pretty sure the 2.3 is a PIG!! And may actually be heavier with an iron head, could be wrong....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665379

1983 TurboCoupe-T3 .60/.63, 3" exhaust, Motorsport front mount, PJ, large VAM, green tops, 8.8" w/ 3.55's, 13.72@97mph
1985.5 SVO
1984 Fullsize Bronco- 300, NP435

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #167
Quote from: turbo83coupe;200693
I dont have actual numbers, but I am pretty sure the 2.3 is a PIG!! And may actually be heavier with an iron head, could be wrong....

Come on it can’t be heavier I thought that was part of the reason of the T/C wonderful handling.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #168
i think a fully loaded tc is actually about the same weight as a 5.0L bird... dunno....  all the extra  they put on the tc added weight....

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #169
A fully-dressed 2.3T is only 50-60# lighter than an iron-headed 5.0.

It sits back farther though for better weight distribution.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #170
I think SO 5.0's have a design flaw that deprives all 8 cylinders of air. How else could you explain 155 horses from a V8?

I laughed at this!

A fully-dressed 2.3T is only 50-60# lighter than an iron-headed 5.0.
  So my Twisted Wedge headed 5.0 is about the same weight as a 2.3?!:eek:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #171
Quote from: V8Demon;200705
So my Twisted Wedge headed 5.0 is about the same weight as a 2.3?!:eek:

yup. as chuck stated, the advantage is in the position of the weight.
the accessories on a 2.3 are also tucked back, more next to the motor, rather than hangin off the front.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #172
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;200579
Ummmm, no? I was pointing out that the AMC engine had design flaws, just like the 2.3. It's a bad thing and it just has to be dealt with.

And you're pretty annoying. It took Ford FOUR YEARS to fix the cracking E3, and the E6 sure isn't the most "un-crackable" item ever. How many fuel rails are in the "Wanted" section every month on TF? Seriously Chuck, the 2.3 is not a "God" motor and it DOES have problems. There's a reason nobody has good fuel rails in stock (or aux gears, or 87/88 TC clutch forks, etc, etc). Come on man. It's a  debate not a race for a winner.

Get over yourself Michael.  I think you trump me in the annoying category anyway, so I wouldn't go down that road if I were you.

I never said the 2.3 was a "god" motor, but neither is the 5.0 or even the LSX stuff.  I admitted to the things that were actually "faults".  Hell, I'm not even going to have a 2.3T-powered car eventually most likely, but it's not because it's so terrible.  It's due to the fact that I have been messing with them for 15 years and I want to do something else.  If I had room, etc for another car I'd sure have another. 

There's a reason you see alot of those parts popping up in the "wanted" section.  The main reason, which is the same with every other Ford product, they were abandoned by Ford.  The difference between the 2.3 and the 5.0 is that the mass aftermarket has taken ahold of the 5.0 and the 2.3 has been the stuff of the cottage-industry aftermarket. There is a difference.  You just can't find new clutch forks, etc as they just aren't made any more, so folks have to try and find good used parts when they wear out.    Don't blame the 2.3T, blame Ford, or blame the V8-happy american car buyer. 

I have never seen or had a fuel rail leak, and the only reason I've needed one was for an intake swap, or I needed to swap that or the fittings on the lines.  Also, a lot of guys are looking for inline fuel rails because they are builing their own upper on the old inline lower.  They all aren't needing them because they are pumping gas all over the place.

Like I said, you can try and talk yourself into the "fact" that the 2.3T is so terrible if that's what you need to do to feel better about moving onto something else, but don't sit there and call me annoying for not humping your leg and agreeing with you 100%.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #173
Quote from: CougarSE;200592
No one here gives a flying shiznit about an LSX engine.  If an LSX had a dick ABM would be all over it.

There's this concept of 'speak for yourself'. Try it some time. So your contribution to this thread is to be an even bigger shiznit disturber than anyone else? Good job.

Go outside and take a breath of air, Ford fanboy. If you can't appreciate anything, no matter how good, from anyone other than Ford, I feel very sorry for you. You're missing out on a lot.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #174
Ford Fanboy Eh?  So I can't appreciate anything other than Ford?  I guess the 5 350 engines, two TPI engines and 454 in the garage down at the farm are Ford engines?  Another uninformed person passing judgment.  I guess my 73 Nova is a Ford, my 80 K10 is a Ford and shiznit all the Dodges I've worked on have been Fords.  My current Nova is my fourth Nova.
One 88

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #175
Then why freak out when someone talks about an LS engine, then tell them to go over to an LS board to talk about it? If he has a valid point about a good engine, why piss and moan? Taking a shiznit on a message board because you don't like someone's comments, that you can't argue with, makes you look like a bit of a joke.

I'm not getting sucked into these g matches. Some of you guys are just acting like four year-olds and need to get your shiznit together. You're enthusiasts? Act like it.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #176
I had a fuel rail start spraying fuel out under the FPR, directly out of the side of the rail, so it can happen apparently, it was either a porosity in the rail that opened up or it fatigued from fuel pressure or vibration somehow, but these rails are constructed just the same way as any 5.0 or other Ford rail of that era.  I could never find any crack in the rail and it definitely wasn't a gasket or o-ring leak, could've been a crack so small I couldn't see.  I really think this is a rarity though, I haven't heard of many cracking, and jacked fuel pressure doesn't help I'm sure.
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #177
Never had a fuel rail leak, but I've seen 6-8 injectors g fuel from between the body and plastic top... All but one were brown top 35lb turbo injectors... The last was a 14lb SO 5.0 inj in the old '86 Grand Marquis...

None leaked when hot, but three or four poured when cold, including the SO inj(fuel puddled on the intake)... I bought a set of 35lb at the junk yard(one of those leaked), cause I used up the ones from the 2.3 out of my white Bird...

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #178
Quote from: jlewis05;200574
If the aux shaft does not break in properly, has a defect, you run the wrong oil in cold weather, or run a high volume pump, it is more likely to fail.

EXACTLY. The auxilary shaft is just fine as long as its installed right in the first place, doesnt have the extra load of high volume or high pressure pumps, or SAE 50 weight oil.

Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;200584
I've never claimed nor used a WB. Then again neither has Bob (martin0660), Frank (turbo83coupe) or anybody that raced before 2002.

Again, for some reason you think you know my junk. I have been running a wideband on mine for the last two seasons. It confirmed a lot of what I am/was doing as right, also exposed why some things worked like they did for me. With Tweecer, a wideband and my Innovate datalogging, I pretty much know whats going on. What would surprise everyone is knowing how close to stock my junk really is.

Quote from: jlewis05;200599
Yeah, and I disagree with them on that probably, because the wideband is tuning for the masses and I think it's the way to go now.  Bob has tons of experience.  Frank has gleaned a lot from Bob so that explains that.

Indeed I have a little experience with this junk. It's my fasination, it keeps me into racing. I can assure you, a 347 would be easier, but it really  those guys off when a 2.3, 5 speed, street driven cars takes them out heads up, let alone bracket racing. I can assure you, I would have lost interest a long time ago with a windsor based engine, but thats just me.

/rant / BTW - Frank is friend of mine, and will help him any way possible, but...... I WILL NOT, nor have I, done it for him. I try and keep him on the right path, but its his deal, and I'm making him learn the way I did. It actually gets frustrating to sit back and watch him learn (and make mistakes) but I can assure you, if I'm not around any more, he will know how to make his junk run too. I geuss I dont want everyone to think Franks stuff is my doing. /end rant/

Quote from: jlewis05;200599
Bob also has only used T3 turbos to my knowledge and has managed to go amazingly fast with it.  With a T3 and jacked fuel pressure, yeah the stock fuel management can work.  Get into 50 trim territory and really crank it up and you need to rethink your whole engine management system. I love standalones, they make life so easy and change the way the engine works so dramatically.

You are correct. I have only ever run T3's, sometimes there might be an IHI on there when I'm in between JY turbo's. As Mike likes to point out, I've fragged quite a few of them, but all of them where junk yard parts with unknown history. Hell, i've put them on, and broke them within an hour trying to set the boost :D Since i bought a rebuild with 360 bearing and good parts, its been bulletproof.

Bob Myers

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #179
Bob, We're talking about your TC, which never ran a WB to your own claim. The Capri is not in this conversation *sigh*.