Skip to main content
Topic: I really HATE the 2.3 !! (Read 24906 times) previous topic - next topic

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

This thing is really  me off !!!

It wont run thru 4th without a hesitation or a "chug" as my mechanic friend calls it.

It really is pushing me to the fricking junkyard 302.......maybe you v-8 preachers are right. Maybe I do need the other half..

, just venting .............aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

I want to kill something
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #1
I made this realization months ago. Even the anemic 4.6 makes me happier, not to mention not having to work on it!

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #2
don't put a 302 in it.  sell me the car and buy an lx.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #3
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;199979
I made this realization months ago. Even the anemic 4.6 makes me happier, not to mention not having to work on it!

Ive enjoyed my car way more with the v8 I do miss the boost though:D

ehh 4.6:beatyoass:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #4
So you put a boosted v8 in it like i did.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #5
I keep staring at the 401 AMC in the garage and the T5 bellhousing...

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #6
Edit: nm, just saw the other thread

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #7
V8? Yawn...

yippie a 140hp junkyard 302...
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #8
Quote from: bhazard;200017
V8? Yawn...

yippie a 140hp junkyard 302...

yawn , a stock reliable, or done up, unreliable turbo four...  that is still slower then a mildly built 302...
what century do you live in?
very easy and cheap to drop an HO in it...  last I checked they had a few more ponies then 140...
even if he does swap in a SO 302....
at least it wont sound like a john deere...:hick:

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #9
Sorry to hear that. You"ll figure it out.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #10
Plus when you mod a lets say a 225hp HO motor there is ton of aftermarket support, and it is much less finicky than the nerve racking brain draining 2.3.

I say twin turbo 5.0 is looking much more like the future for me, if I cant get this issue resolved.
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #11
You must of seen thundr306's,That would want to make you change your mind.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #12
I have not yet seen it in person.....but he might influence me a little :)
1985 Thunderbird TC

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #13
well, i can tell you this: you will not be the first person to give up on this little motor.

from readin your thread here and on TF, you seem to have access to the diagnostic tools you need and youve got plenty of guys tryin to help you figure this out. its up to you whether you want to get it worked out or not.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!