Skip to main content
Topic: I really HATE the 2.3 !! (Read 24909 times) previous topic - next topic

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #210
I used to have some nasty blowby issues until I set up a catch can than ran back to the intake.

What I did, is threaded a brass barb fitting into where the factory breather/oil separator was on the valve cover, then ran a 3/8" hose to a catch can I bought off of ebay, then ran a 3/8" hose from the catch can, to the intake, between the turbo and the VAM. In the hose that runs to the intake, I put a check valve to only allow air to suck into the intake.

Heres the reason, it may get a bit long.

The PCV system is designed to eliminate pressure from the crankcase. The PCV valve is nothing more than a check valve that only allows suction to occur in the crankcase when the engine is under vacuum . While this works on N/A vehicles, he have a problem, under boost, we have no place to get vacuum from...other than the inlet side of the turbo. Now what makes my particular setup work well, is the check valve between the catch can and the intake. What happens is, while you're under vacuum, (idle, partial throttle), the intake manifold will be sucking from just the crankcase, and under boost, the PVC valve closes, the check valve for the catch can opens, and the turbo inlet creates suction in the crankcase.

This worked very well for me, it eliminated a lot of my blowby/smoking issues, and still keeps my intake clean.

This is the catch can I run:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-Catch-Can-Tank-FORD-Focus-Probe-mustang-universal_W0QQitemZ270207960888QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270207960888

A lot of guys stuff them with steel wool, which is a good idea for keeping the oil in the can, sometimes you'll get oil vapor passing through, but steel wool makes me weary.
It's Gumby's fault.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #211
Sounds like a good setup. I ran the plastic Summit can with a drain valve and just drained the residue whenever I saw it fill up.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #212
I was thinking about doing something like that too. Could I use a PCV in the same way as the check valve , only have it run to the catch can from below the factory PCV set-up and then to the turbo inlet with a PCV in line to the inlet ? So when it is under boost it will not blow into the crankcase, but will still create a vacuum thru the inlet?

I hope this makes sense.
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #213
When the ring on the #4 broke in mine, it was smoking out the breather and even out the catch-can breather pretty badly. 

My breather is set up with a slight vacuum on it from the turbo inlet like you mentioned, but that did nothing to solve the blow-by issue.  Mine only stopped blowing out the breather once I swapped the shortblock.  The teardown of the old bottom end revealed the rings on the #4 were in about 15 pieces.

Did you do a compression test as well when you did the leakdown?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #214
Yours was a stock ring right Chuck?

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #215
No I havent done the compression test yet. The car is at my Friends shop, didnt have a chance yet. He wanted to do the leakdown test first because he said it is more accurate. Well I still want to do the Compression test too.

I also am working on my other shortblock(stock bore, stock pistons, just a hone job), just in case.
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #216
Quote from: Chuck W;201676
When the ring on the #4 broke in mine, it was smoking out the breather and even out the catch-can breather pretty badly. 

My breather is set up with a slight vacuum on it from the turbo inlet like you mentioned, but that did nothing to solve the blow-by issue.  Mine only stopped blowing out the breather once I swapped the shortblock.  The teardown of the old bottom end revealed the rings on the #4 were in about 15 pieces.

Did you do a compression test as well when you did the leakdown?

I can only imagine what the ones in the stock 2.3 shortblock i took out of my bird look like. it blew oil out of ever single seal except the cam seal and valve cover when in boost :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #217
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;201678
Yours was a stock ring right Chuck?

No, they were TS Gapless...before TS decided that they didn't have any rings that would work for a boosted application.  Thanks guys....I got 30-35K of hard miles out of them though before they finally let go.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #218
Was it the gapless ring that broke, or the other one?

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #219
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;200029
yawn , a stock reliable, or done up, unreliable turbo four...  that is still slower then a mildly built 302...
what century do you live in?
very easy and cheap to drop an HO in it...  last I checked they had a few more ponies then 140...
even if he does swap in a SO 302....
at least it wont sound like a john deere...:hick:

My old man has put 300,000 miles on his 87 tc. never had to replace anything out of the ordinary ie. a few sensors,clutches and tune-up stuff, even had the original brake calipers o and it still beat a 3 series bmw from a light everytime back in 03. not to mention the 4 banger gets considerably better MPG especially on highway trips.

Throwing a 302 in it won't solve anything, all your doing is wasting your time and money especially if your keeping it a daily driver. Your sacrificing handling performance and fuel efficiency, keep in mind gas is over 3 bucks a gallon now a days. Its cheaper to stick with the 4 banger and OVERALL your gaining more performance. My point is theres tons of performance parts out there for these engines to make them every bit as fun as any v8 could be in a straight line.

If you take care of the 2.3 there a bullet proof engine, nearly indestructible. And as for the guy having problems in with his Turbo Coupe. Your car is over 20 years old, things are going to break.
:birdsmily:

2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #220
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;200127
muhaha......  :evilgrin:.....  notice nobody has said anything about the sound of them?..... 

17psi, and you just barely got past the STOCK power of a 5.0L....  add 14 psi (VERY streetable and reliable) to a 5.0L and you double that number...

Ya after 4 grand for the turbo kit.
strap on a t3/t4 turbo and run 17psi and your upwards of 280 plus hp at the crank for 500 bucks.

2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #221
looks like i was 20 pages to late.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #222
Quote from: turbo88;201881
Ya after 4 grand for the turbo kit.
strap on a t3/t4 turbo and run 17psi and your upwards of 280 plus hp at the crank for 500 bucks.

thanks for proving what I already said...  cost wasn't the issue, I was getting at, it was the fact that it takes 17 psi to make just about the same amount of power as a near stock HO...  add half that boost to a 5.0L and what do you get?  TWICE the power for about the same price....  Ever hear of DIY twin turbo's?  see this site... http://www.toohighpsi.com  You can make a twin turbo 5.0L kit for about $1000 OR less...

and all the 17psi means, on your 4banger, is you need to upgrade you intake and exhaust system to take care of that huge restriction...

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #223
Originally Posted by turbo88
And as for the guy having problems with his Turbo Coupe. Your car is over 20 years old, things are going to break.

The car has been COMPLETELY overhauled, and I have replaced and traced every component, wire and hardware part you can think of.

It is just a matter of me getting the BUGS worked out. By the way I think I have it worked out, No More Trailer-Hitching, and The NEW PIP was bad.

Only have the Blow-By problem to work out. But I will get it done.

I have been working on over 20 year old cars my whole life since I was 8(I am 45), only this is my First Turbo Car. Probably my last, but I do love this thing, and it is not going to kick my ass !
1985 Thunderbird TC

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #224
Keep on it man! It's probably the rings, but who knows, like you said it could just have still not seated in.

The only advice I can really give is if the car starts to piss you off, take a huge breath and let it sit for a week. I couldn't do that as mine was my daily driver, but I honestly think I'd still have the car (and modifying it) if I had something else to drive or just flat had more patience (granted I did play with it for 3 years!).